“Very disappointing!”

Ranked #4 of 13 Restaurants in Deganwy
Price range: US$4 - US$21
Cuisines: Chinese, Wine Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Coming from a family of Traditional Chinese Chef Patrons in Hong Kong, Nikki Ip has established a personal reputation for producing the finest Chinese cuisine. This has had customers returning again and again since his restaurant opened in 1992. Many of them bring with them family and friends for a good outing and for ‘those’ special occasions. Each dish is a traditional Chinese recipe developed personally by Nikki. His dishes set his restaurant apart as a dining experience. Nikki has won numerous awards and has been highly acclaimed in both the National and Local press. This has included Cheshire Life, The Daily Telegraph, Times, and internationally in Europe, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan and throughout North America. Next to the restaurant, the Wine Bar is an Avant Garde settings with outstanding décor and lighting. The furnishings and decoration are internationally chosen and reflect the informal and warm atmosphereof the Wine Bar. The restaurant is open everyday from 6pm. The café-wine bar is open from 12noon
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Poor service, nobody came to see if everything was ok, had to go and ask for the bill, food not great, we were disappointed.

stefankingdon, Manager at Nikki Ip's, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

its such a shame that you did not raise any of the issues with us on the evening but understand that everyone is different, with regards to the bill its very hard for us to determined if people are ready for the bill or not I can assure you we have offended people by giving them the bill without them asking and others like yourself get offended when we dont

Reviewed 14 March 2014

I last went to Nikki Ips around five years ago for my 21st birthday. Ever since then G hasn’t stopped raving about it – primarily the Yuk shung.

This particular dish was so memorable that we even tried recreating it at home. Tasty, but not quite the same. Anyway, having not eaten there for a few years, we hoped it would be just as good this time around.

We arrived right on cue at 7pm and were quickly taken upstairs and seated at the back of the restaurant. The window seat is just about every diner’s preferred choice, but on a dark, wet and windy night, it didn’t make much difference to us.

Within 10-15 minutes all the tables were occupied and the restaurant filled with the sound of laughter and chatter.

Having not eaten all day in anticipation of Nikki Ip’s oriental delights, I was pretty ravenous.

The starter was a no-brainer: Yuk shung with crispy lettuce. Knowing that our eyes are often bigger than our belly, we opted to share the appetiser.

It was just as delicious as I remember. It’s essentially minced pork with an array of chopped vegetables – I think I spotted carrots, celery and spring onions in there – in a soy and ginger sauce. Spoon and wrap it in the lettuce for a taste bud tingling, albeit rather messy, dish.

Moving on to the mains and we weren’t really sure what to go for. Used to ordering a chow mein or chicken curry from our local Chinese, the menu was a little alien to us.

After much deliberation we chose the diced fillet of beef with black peppercorns, fried chicken with Thai sweet chilli and basil, as well as sides of egg fried rice and stir fried noodles & beansprouts.

After mastering the art of chopsticks, we discovered it was absolutely delicious. The beef was tender, the chicken crispy and the flavours to die for.

While we did have different servers each time, they were all equally pleasant and seemed to know what was going on, so it wasn’t a problem.

We decided against forcing in a dessert, but took our time finishing our drinks and relaxing before paying the bill, without feeling as though we were being shooed out.

I’m pleased to say that Nikki Ip’s is as good as ever and I’m currently thinking of another excuse to go.

Price: About £25-30 a head for two courses & drinks

thank you so much for such a positive review it really is warming to read such a nice review, I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

This is Chinese food done very, very well!
The food is gorgeous- ask anyone who has ever been there to recommend a starter and they will say the spare ribs with BBQ sauce-yum!!!!
I was there with some friends who are vegetarian, so our mains were all fish based, I probably wouldn't choose the dish I had again, it was still very nice though.
The style of the restaurant is very trendy and modern.
Yep it's expensive, probably about double your usual Chinese place, but it's so, so good!

thanks for the review we use only the best of everything to make sure our food is of the finest quality. we are pleased you enjoyed your evening and hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 21 February 2014

My daughter and I had a meal here on Tuesday 18/2. It was very quiet but there were a few other diners. We had a great meal (the fillet steak with brandy and chilli really good as were the salt and pepper ribs) but we made the mistake of ordering 3 starters as well as our mains. The portions were quite big and unfortunately we couldn't finish everything!!! The waitress (sorry have forgotten her name) was very friendly (a Northerner like us) and really helpful. We would thoroughly recommend and will visit again if we are in the area.

thanks for taking the time to review our restaurant, its really nice to know you enjoyed your evening with us and hope to see you again if you are ever in the area

Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

We went here a week ago and I have to say it was beautiful. I went with my boyfriend who had been before and was disappointed we could not sit upstairs but we had some nice high seats st the window & I thought the fairy lights were a lovely touch.

Starter platter was gorgeous but didn't like how it was an array for two but they charged you per person. Food came promptly & we were grateful for the waiter who let us know that two rice bowls would be too much. Was very shocked by wine prices though - two large glasses of rose wine (& very large glasses at that, unlike anywhere else I've been) for £16!!

Staff were very friendly and attentive but not overly so, especially seen as though we were the only table in for the first 45 minutes.

All in all great restaurant but a bit pricey to go regularly!

thanks for taking the time to send us your review, during the mid week we do tend to use downstairs more really dependent on business needs that evening.
the dim sum platter is priced per person as it can be ordered for any number of people but is set to a minimum of two,.
we are pleased you enjoyed your evening with us and hope to see you again