“Nice place, great setting”

The Quay Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deganwy
Kent
“Nice place, great setting”
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We stayed here on a whistle stop trip to Wales for a wedding in Llandudno. Few minutes taxi ride from Llandudno Junction station (£3.40). We paid extra for an earlier check in time of 1.00pm has we had to be changed and at a family wedding by 3.00pm. Booked a suite.... ours was 359 on the ground floor. In through hotel room door, into an L-shaped lobby area with the bathroom, Master bedroom and separate Lounge all separate doors off the lobby. Our bed was probably the biggest with ever slept in, and extremely comfortable, with great pillows. The Lounge was actually to accommodate our two daughters (16 and 11). It contained 2 two seated sofas, dining table and four chairs, coffee table, cupboard space, tv cabinet and had sliding patio doors onto our patio area (2 wooden chairs and side table).
The views were panoramic, and the outside areas were clean and well presented. All hotel staff were great and the food prices were not to bad - £5.95 for a sandwich and approx £6 - £8 for a starter portion of mussels. We did order room service at around 11.30pm and were charged an additional £5.00 for this service (not too bad but they didnt actually inform us of that when we placed the order).
Great Pool which we did make use of.
Very clean and sparkly, lovely decor - art deco most of it and nice communal areas

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (824)
Manchester
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I recently booked a trip to the Quay Hotel & Spa as a special treat for my husband's 50th birthday. I paid £175/night for a suite, and expected much better service that we received. Upon return I sent the following letter to the Hotel Manager:

"Mr Steve Ogden
The Quay Hotel and Spa
Deganwy Quay
Deganwy
Conwy
LL31 9DJ 3rd June 2011

Dear Mr Ogden,

I am writing to express my extreme disappointment in your Hotel.

I arranged for a very special overnight stay and meal for my Husband’s 50th birthday on Sunday 29th May 2011. From the moment we arrived the customer experience was not good – we were handed a scrappy piece of paper with instructions for the Hotel on it, but the printer ink was obviously running out and looked very unprofessional. In our suite things were simply not up to the standard one would expect for the price – the carpet was tatty and frayed around the edge of the sliding doors in the lounge, a large picture was hanging from its frame in the lounge area, and there were no menus or instructions in the room. We noticed there was no TV remote control in the bedroom and reported this to housekeeping, who rang back to advise there weren’t enough to go round so we needed to carry the single remote from room to room to enable us to use the televisions. I had thought about ringing room service for some champagne but there were no menus or price details in the room so I didn’t know what the options were (would have expected a manual in the room which at least contained basic information on the hotel – breakfast times; leisure centre times; room service; laundry service etc).

The self shutting door mechanisms didn’t allow for soft closure so every time we went in and out of the bedroom and lounge the door slammed shut (guess this must have annoyed the neighbouring rooms too!).

In the bathroom, the extractor fan was not working and when the wind was blowing outside a cold blast hit you on top of the head! I also thought that it’s a shame the bath wasn’t more modern when a lot of money had obviously been spent on the rest of the bathroom.

The quality of the outdoor furniture on the balcony is just disgraceful – the table was falling to bits and the chairs covered in green mould. We used the chairs from the lounge area instead.

We went down to the bar area and asked for a menu – the waitress explained she was very busy and “run off her feet”. After some time, she came back to take the order but had still not given us menus, which she then found. We decided to take the menus back to our room and order room service instead. We asked for afternoon tea and were advised we could have a tea and a coffee included with this. Upon delivering these, the drinks were cold and I had been charged for them in addition to the afternoon tea when the price should have been inclusive. There were no plates, cutlery or napkins delivered, so we ate off the saucers that were provided with the tea and coffee, but at least the food was very nice.

My husband went down to the health spa for a swim and sauna, but the sauna was out of action!

In the evening I had arranged for a table by the glass wall facing the estuary in the restaurant for a special meal. Upon being seated, a steady stream of people were sliding the large door next to us to go outside to smoke, which was noisy and annoying – my husband requested a move to another table but the staff advised the door should have been locked at night and did this for us.

We ordered a bottle a red wine, which was delivered with two small almost sherry sized glasses. I asked for proper red wine glasses and was told that as there was a wedding on in the hotel, there were not enough glasses and that you had run out of them! This was not acceptable to me and I insisted on proper glasses being found – which the waiter duly did!

I then ordered Chateaubriand for us as a special treat, but was advised you had sold out! We decided on fillet steaks as the next best option.

After our very nice starters, our steaks were delivered. My steak had a piece of greasy ripped pink paper under it with something written on it!

My husband asked for steak knives – the waiter apologised and went to get them, only to return saying once again, due to the wedding, you had run out as you only have 50! At this point, we didn’t know whether to laugh or shout – my husband asked for the Restaurant Manager, who came over and apologised profusely, saying he had no defence, it was just that the Hotel didn’t have enough of anything, despite constant requests.

We then got a steady flow of staff coming to ask if it was any of them who had caused us a problem, as they wanted to “learn from the experience”! One member of staff even said that the Restaurant received a lot of complaints. We thought the staff were completely disorganised and there was no continuity in who was serving us, so quite often several members of staff came to us asking us the same thing!

The Manager did take an amount off the bill, but that didn’t come near to compensating for a ruined special occasion.

On Monday morning, we ordered breakfast in our room, as we didn’t want to face any more problems with the restaurant. This was delivered and was very nice, although I requested Special K and received Bran Flakes, which I dislike intensely! We had also requested one decaffeinated coffee and one ordinary coffee and two jugs of coffee arrived but there was no indication as to which was which!

Upon checkout, I raised the issue of the overcharge for the drinks with Afternoon Tea, and the receptionist adjusted the bill, without an apology, and did not even ask if we had enjoyed our stay. Checkout was dealt with very sombrely.

I must stress at this point that I did not make a huge fuss either in the restaurant or at checkout as I wanted to salvage something of the special weekend for my husband – which is why I am now voicing my extreme disappointment and anger at the very poor experience we had at The Quay Hotel and Spa!

Your hotel has a fantastic location but our overall experience was very disappointing. The lack of attention to detail really lets you down.

I await your response.

Yours sincerely"

I received a response from the hotel on behalf of the Manager which was totally uninspiring, not really apologetic and not fully addressing the issues we raised. The response was very similar to the one posted further down this page and it seems like the hotel have a standard reponse they send out to anyone who complains. We were told in the letter that if we fancied visiting again we would "get a good rate" - hardly what you would expect from the Manager of an exclusive and expensive hotel who was interested in service excellence or in trying to retain customers!

Needless to say we will not be returning and have been left feeling bitterly disappointed at the whole experience!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MandLManchester
, Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 June 2011
Dear Guest

I would confirm to you that I only took up my appointment as General Manager at the Quay Hotel and Spa on the 1st June and am currently working on establishing areas that need improvement.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the matters raised with you personally over the telephone, to enable me to re-consider the issues and find a way to restore your confidence in the Quay Hotel and Spa. I am sure you are quite right in your observations, stating we have a lovely hotel, offering fabulous views, location and service and would be most grateful if I can to restore your faith in our hotel and would be delighted if you would give us a second chance to resolve and rectify the disappointments encountered.

As we don’t have your contact details I would be grateful if you could contact me personally to discuss your concerns more fully. I look forward to receiving your telephone call. My direct line 01492 564163 or Reception 01492 564100.

Manchester
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Just got back from a one night escape spa package at the Quay Hotel & Spa - such a wonderful break. Had full use of the spa/gym facilities on checking in & no problem to leave luggage in reception until we could check in (as arrived early). All of the staff are wonderful - reception, spa, restaurant - could not do enough for you. Had the most amazing spa treatments with recommendations on further treatment which was an extra nice touch, gorgeous room with balcony overlooking the marina and beautiful meal in the restaurant - all included in the package. I can't rate this hotel enough & can thoroughly recommend the escape package. I'll definetly return - if you need a break and want to escape it all and recharge your batteries then this place is a must. Special mention to manager Neil & Sandra on reception.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
, Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 June 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for you kind comments and recommendations. We were delighted to note your appreciation of our “Escape Package , our location and all my staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the in the future for another enjoyable experience at the Quay Hotel and Spa.

Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2011

I booked two rooms in this hotel for myself and my sister, for a few days of relaxation. We are both experienced travellers & usually stay in 4-5* hotels, Upon arriving, we were pleased with the lovely location, great recepton area and the cheery service from the receptionist. However, it went downhill fast from there.

The rooms were nicely furnished, but the little touches that you expect in a 5 star hotel were missing. First of all, we both looked in vain for some kind of booklet with basic information about the hotel. I was given a piece of paper when I checked in with the breakfast times on it, but my sister was not. There was nothing in the room for us to check dinner / breakfast service times, if there was room service or not (we concluded that there was not, but would have expected this in a 5 star hotel), what TV channels were available etc. There was also no clock in either room, and no plug sockets near the bedside tables so you couldn't plug your phone in to use as an alarm clock. The walls were thin and the mattress was akin to a blancmange. There was also nothing in the fridge - we would have liked a mini bar with some wine & chocolate!

After finding nothing in the mini bar, we ventured to the bar in the lounge / restaurant area to get a glass of wine each to take back and enjoy on the patio chairs outside the room. After being ignored for a while by the bar staff, e.g. a man was cleaning glasses right in front of us who refused to make eye contact, and we had to eventually to get their attention to order and the same again to pay.

That experience was good compared to the fiasco that was breakfast. I can honestly say that I can't remember receiving such bad service before. We were shown to a table that was not laid, despite the fact that there were several other tables that were ready on the other side of the room. The table we were shown to was almost in the lap of the people next to us, and the next people that arrived were squashed up next to us on the other side (again, with no cutlery etc. on their table). There was ample room elsewhere in the restaurant.

There was nothing on our table to tell us otherwise and after a 5 minute wait we thought it was a buffet service so off we went - once we got there we were told by the chef we were to order off a menu. So we waited, and waited until the couple next to us handed us a menu to order from. We eventually caught a waiters eye to order coffee and toast. It never came & neither did the hot food, so we ordered again. Toast came before the coffee and it was burnt - we sent it back & it came back burnt. No butter for toast and not milk for coffee.........Still no hot food. We spoke to 3 different people and still couldnt get a basic brekky. In the end we ate the incorrect order when it came because we'd been in there 40 minutes and just wanted to get on with our day. The choice of pastries was poor and they were overdone. No bread, no muffins, not much fruit! The next day's breakfast was the same, minus the hot food because we couldnt be bothered to wait again. The head waitress had the cheek to complain that people were coming in towards the end of breakfast time and that was why it was a shambles. There were only 3 other tables in there!

Dinner was a choice of elaborately named over-priced food, that had it not been included in our deal, we would never have paid that price for. The waiting staff were nice & attentive.

The redeeming feature was the spa - the staff were lovely and the treatment (hot stone body massage & facial) was lovely & relaxing. The lunch service in the spa was excellent, well priced and the food was lovely & came quickly after ordering.

We decided to go for a swim after this. The pool area was small & very basic, the jacuzzi was cold, the pool was slightly warm. The sauna was cold and the steam room was too hot!! There were no loungers to sit on by the pool. This area in general was about 3* standard. The locker rooms were very basic.

So overall - we enjoyed the setting, the reception area is nice as were the staff there. Rooms are nice but not fantastic. Don't bother having dinner there - go to Nikki Ips across the road! Don't bother using the leisure facilities but DO visit the spa.

Room Tip: Get a ground floor overlooking the courtyard
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank emmasimon_brady
, Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 June 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit, constructive feedback is always appreciated. May I sincerely apologies for the disappointments encountered.

I would confirm I have spoken at length with the relevant managers to address and resolve all the issues and also confirm that a new Restaurant Manager has now been appointed.

I was pleased to note your kind acknowledgement of the cheery service of my Reception team and your enjoyment of the spa treatments, lunch and lovely spa staff.

I trust you may consider returning and I look.forward to welcoming you at a later date for a much improved dining experience.

Wakefield
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I was staying at the Quay for four nights as part of a classic car rally around north Wales. Was delighted when we pulled up at this impressive location. It was just like driving onto a gated condo in Florida! Past the marina into a large car park overlooking the estuary and Conwy Castle. My room (227) was huge, with a balcony over looking the designer courtyard with fountains and a view over to the sea. My bathroom was bigger than some hotels I have stayed in! There were bathrobes - hurrah! Everything was very clean and the staff were all lovely. The bar terrace over looking the water was wonderful and the restaurant meal we had on Friday night was really good, if not a bit pricey for what we had. Only gripes were that the fridge was not very cold and there wasn't any air conditioning. It was very hot when I was there and even with the patio door open it was still warm - had to shut the door later though as the noise of the fountains in the night kept me awake - and a chap liked to push a trolly through the courtyard early in the mornings. The room was a bit dark - it needs a light/lamp over the desk - I had to work late in the evening and my eyes were struggling a bit. And as a woman I would have liked more light in the bathroom and a lower mirror over the desk so I could have sat down while drying my hair. Also, it would have been helpful to have a power socket next to the bedside table to I could plug in my iPhone charger - I use my phone as an alarm. Also shame there isn't a cocktail list/bar tenders who know how to make them. Other than that, a lovely hotel which I would very much like to visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony overlooking estuary or courtyard
  • Stayed June 2011
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2011

My husband and I escaped from the children for one night of anticipated luxury and spoiling and we weren't disappointed. The staff at Reception were polite and attentive, our suite was gorgeous - an outstanding view of the estuary whilst sipping champagne on the balcony - heaven! Suite, particularly bathroom, was immaculate (and I'm very fussy!) Dinner very tasty, delicious tomato soup with goats cheese and pesto and Posh Fish and Chips - yummy!
Super night's sleep on very comfy bed then breakfast - also delicious. A few minor niggles which prevented the experience being perfect - found a crisp under the seat of the sofa in the lounge, bar ran out of Campari (major crime!) and there were no soup spoons or steak knifes at dinner. Biggest disappointment was the service at breakfast - staff were unsmiling and begrudging - when I stay at a luxury hotel I expect a smile and to be made to feel welcome, not as if I'm an inconvenience. Having said that, the good points vastly outweighed the negatives, and we would be very happy to recommend the hotel to friends and family and look forward to another stay soon!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
, Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay with us. We were delighted to note your kind appreciation of the welcome offered by my Reception team, our stunning views from your room and dinner in the evening.

I was most concerned to learn of the disappointments encountered during breakfast and would confirm I have spoken at length with my Restaurant Manager to address and rectify the issues raised.

Thank you for recommending the Quay Hotel and Spa to friends and family and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2011

My family and I stayed at the Quay Hotel for two nights over the April Bank Holiday. We were welcomed by friendly staff and given a suite with interconnecting room for the children.

The views from the room were superb and the spa facilities were great - the kids made good use of the pool.

We didn't dine in the restaurant for dinner but we all enjoyed the breakfast and found the staff and menu child friendly.

We are looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
, Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 June 2011
Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed an Easter break at the Quay Hotel and Spa and that your stay was enhanced by my friendly staff, the stunning views and our gym and spa facilities. Constructive feedback is always very much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Steve Ogden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deganwy
Castle Hotel
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge
St. George's Hotel
St. George's Hotel
#17 of 60 in Llandudno

Been to The Quay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!