“Absolutely excellent”

The Quay Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deganwy
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night in mid May and were absolutely delighted with the Hotel. The food was excellent (we had lunch, dinner and breakfast at the Hotel) and the room was spacious, modern and comfortable with a very comfortable bed and a sofa. The balcony was very good and we had a lovely view overlooking the estuary and the Castle. It's a shame the weather wasn't a bit warmer as it would have been lovely to sit on the balcony or the terrace outside of the restaurant. The staff were excellent and attentive. However, a special mention must go to the chap in the gym/spa. I think he was called Phil (he was the older chap - no offence !). He was wonderfully helpful. He couldnt do enough for my wife and I and even organised the spa treatment for my wife. He was excellent and a credit to the hotel. We definitely want to return when it's a bit warmer.

Room Tip: We booked the exec rooms overlooking the estuary and castle and it was well worth the extra charge.
1  Thank Fraser M
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your great compliments, following your recent stay at the Quay Hotel. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us with excellent food, spacious comfortable room, lovely views over the estuary and great service from my staff.

Your kind words have been forwarded on to Phil and we look forward to welcoming you back on your return when the weather warms up !!

Reviewed 27 May 2013

I booked a one night stay in an Executive room overlooking the Conwy Estuary for my husband's birthday over the May Bank holiday. When we arrived there was a wedding party on the terrace and I was concerned that our break would not be the peaceful one we had planned. However, this was not the case and we did not hear a thing and our room was extremely quiet.
The spa treatments were lovely although we declined the relaxation room, which was really brightly lit and full. The one thing I did find strange was asking for a deposit for a towel. Never known that before anywhere I have stayed.
The view from our room had the WOW factor and an added bonus was the lovely weather enabling us to sit on the balcony. The balcony was small and a bit weather beaten with the odd weed growing. The room was clean and comfortable. Bathroom was ok but shower not the best and the grouting needed cleaning in places. Their were two cup cakes in our room and a birthday card which we thought was a nice touch. We went to the terrace for a drink and found like the previous review that the service could have been better. They completely forgot our drinks, however it was very busy.
We had dinner in the grill restaurant which was absolutely superb and the Chateaubriand was to die for.
However, breakfast was a disappointment. I waited 10 minutes for someone to bring me tea and coffee and even then I had to call someone over. I also regret now having the buffet rather than ordering the eggs benedict off the menu, but as I had waited so long for drinks I decided against this due to time constraints.
The breakfast hot grill area was far too small for the number of people and cramped with a constant queue. The plates were too hot even with a napkin and my husband has a blister on his thumb from carrying it back to table. People were waiting ages for toast and no one bothered to come and ask us.
Overall, we did had a lovely time and would return, although I would not come over a bank holiday again as I think that may be why the service was not so good.

2  Thank Aprilcake
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback, following your husband’s “birthday treat” stay at the Quay. Delighted to hear that the you didn’t hear any of the wedding party celebrations and you enjoyed a peaceful time. Good to know that the cup cakes and card were appreciated and the spa treatments were lovely and the views from your balcony had the WOW factor.

Regrettably, we have had to introduce a deposit requirement for our pool towels, previously we had been “loosing” an unacceptable level of these items, but since we have requested deposits the laundry counts have been remarkably correct. I am sure you will agree that this is a sad reflection of a certain element of today’s society.

Apologies for the poor drinks service and breakfast shortfalls encountered, I have spoken with the relevant managers to improve the service we offer. Pleased to note that your dining experience and the Chateaubriand was absolutely superb. Thank you for your constructive observations and pleased to note that overall you had a lovely time and will be returning. I look forward to welcoming you back on that occasion.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel in an executive suite. It was very spacious, quiet and super clean. And a magnificent view.

We were greeted by professional staff with ready smiles - always eager to assist.

I only have two criticisms. The bed was very bouncy and every time I climbed in or out of bed, there was a spring that almost poked through the sheet.

Secondly the breakfast. I thought that the buffet area was very dimly lit. Also the bottles for juice are difficult to open. I didn't experience difficulty, but I watched another patron struggling with the sticky bottles. He then put his little finger inside the neck of the bottle. Suffice to say, I didn't return to the juice bar. Maybe jugs would be a better option as the stickiness alone was off putting.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rustyharpoon11

Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback and kind appreciation of our magnificent views, spacious and super clean suite and my professional staff with ready smiles!

I am sorry that you found the bed was not as comfortable as you would have wished and breakfast was dimly lit. I have spoken to the relevant managers to address these issues and thank you for your constructive comments regarding jugs rather than bottles for the juice offering.

I do hope you will visit us again and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

We have just come back from a fantastic stay at The Quay Hotel. We had an evening meal included in our stay. The food was top class and would definitely recommend the Jaffa Cake dessert.
What really made the meal memorable was the staff. They were courteous, friendly, professional & went the extra mile. They went out of their way to accommodate our young son, even giving him a complimentary sorbet before his meal arrived.
Besides the restaurant, the room we stayed in was extremely spacious and had a balcony with a lovely view of the marina.
We found all the staff, from the spa staff to the cleaners to be very friendly.
We will definitely be making a return visit.

2  Thank collycolm
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your great feedback following your recent "fantastic" stay at the Quay Hotel. Delighted to know you enjoyed your room with balcony views and found my staff friendly, professional and courteous in all departments.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future and maybe another piece of that Jaffa Cake dessert !

Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

My wife and I booked into the Quay Hotel for th late May bank Holiday. On arrival we were greeted with a lovely smile from a very proffesional and polite receptionist, we were early and the room was not ready we decided to go for a walk, the receptionist took our number and as promised we received a call when the room was ready. The location is excellent, being walking distance to both Conway and llandudno. When we got back the same girl remembered our name and took us to the room.The room was very clean and well laid out.
We decided to have a drink and on the terrace, service was exceptionally slow and we had to ask three different people for our drinks ( there seemed to be a distinct lack of understanding of good customer service.
Breakfast the next day we were greeted by a very lovely lady who showed us to our table again, breakfast was not a good experience. The toast was not toast but bread and we had to go and ask for it in the first place.
Back in the room later the same day the room had been serviced but no new tea bags left we rang room service but 2 hours later no tea bags again we had to chase.

Summary

Great location
Some excellent staff
Some staff who are either too busy or have not had sufficient training
Make sure you check the room location as classic marina view rooms overlook the car park then the marina.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback, good to hear that my reception team greeted you with smiles and a warm welcome. Delighted to read of your appreciation of our stunning setting and great location for local walks.

I do apologise for the shortfalls encountered within our service provision during evening drinks, breakfast ad housekeeping. I have spoken with the relevant managers to address and rectify your concerns. It is most unfortunate that your tea tray was not replenished and you had to chase for the items, I am very sorry.

Your constructive summary are very much appreciated and I would clarify that as you quite right state, the ground floor marina view rooms do overlook the marina and car parking bays for the marina. These bays are not always occupied, but if you prefer an estuary or courtyard view, do please ask when making your reservation and my team will be only too pleased to assist.
I do hope you will visit us again and I look forward to welcoming you back on the next occasion.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

This hotel is hot! Our 6th trip here in18 months as our 'bolt hole' 2 hours from home. Good and bad weather we just switch off ourselves and technology, pour the wine and chill! great luxury rooms/ suites overlooking the estuary, great food and drinks menus and fabulous staff who smile and shine for you throughout your stay! Nothing is any trouble or a bother. Having stupidly overdone the sun having lunch on the fabulous terrace watching the boats, at dinner, on finding out I hadnt brought sunscreen,Gio,the restaurant manager (and one of our all time favourite people!) ticked me off and brought me her bottle of sunscreen!

After 6 visits and notes left for staff it's hard to find new praise for theQuay, it's management and staff. Tripadvisor don't allow too frequent reviews so we just keep returning to prove the point that this is a very special place to escape to. We had a short honeymoon break here after our wedding last May and we were made such a lovely fuss of by all staff so of course we returned last week for our 1st anniversary. A lovely card wishing us happy anniversary and cupcakes were waiting for us!

Thank you all at The Quay once again for just the most pleasurable and chilled time.See you soon!

Room Tip: Luxury rooms and suites overlooking the estuary but the courtyard is very 'zen' so has its o...
2  Thank MimsyBorrogrove
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your generous feedback, following your 6th visit to us at the Quay Hotel. Great to know you are still enjoying your "honeymoon" hotel and were able to celebrate for your first anniversary at the Quay.

Delighted to hear of your kind appreciation of our stunning location, luxurious accommodation and our fabulous terrace. Look forward to welcoming you back for Visit No 7 in the near future.

Many congratulations on your first anniversary

Reviewed 21 May 2013

My husband & I stayed at The Quay for two nights (12th & 13th May2013). We stayed in an executive suite with a most wonderful view of the estuary & the castle. The suite was very spacious & exceptionally clean (full praise to housekeeping!!)
We were on dinner/bed & breakfast package for the two nights & the dinner in the restaraunt was very nice. Would have preferred scrambled eggs to be cooked fresh, as they were a bit rubbery, from being under the hot lights, so I had an omlette on the second morning, a bit undercoooked, for my liking, apart from those two little things everything else was fine. Did have to aske 3 times for toast on the first morning.
May I mention "Katia" a most briiliant waitress, as I said at the time, you should be very pleased you have her as she is very pleasant, polite & helpful and boy does she work hard!!!
Was a bit dissapointed with the pool (a bit small) as it gets very busy when guests & members use it, also after a cold day out on the last day of our stay was looking forward to a warm up in the steam room, only to find it was out of order.
In all a very pleasant stay & will hopefully return on another occassion.

Room Tip: Pay extra for an executive suite, I am sure the other rooms are nice, but the suites are so spacious...

Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback following your recent visit to the Quay Hotel. Delighted to know you enjoyed our fantastic views from you suite and appreciated our housekeeping standards. I do apologise that certain elements of breakfast could have been improved and would confirm I have spoken to the team to ensure or usual excellent quality and service is consistent. I am sorry for the regrettable fault with our steam room during your stay.

Your kind compliment regarding Katia have been forwarded on and I look forward to welcoming you back on the next occasion.

Steve Ogden

Also consider these accommodations in or near Deganwy
Castle Hotel
The Imperial Hotel
The Imperial Hotel
#20 of 60 in Llandudno
Ruthin Castle Hotel

Been to The Quay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!