“Great spa and pool facilities”

The Quay Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deganwy
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We were staying elsewhere, and came here to use the spa as our hotel's hot tub wasn't working properly. Very impressed. The staff member we saw both days was friendly and helpful, and the pool, jacuzzi, steam and sauna were great. Locals have membership here, and they all spoke highly of the hotel and its facilities. The water jets were wonderful! In fact, so good you didn't need a massage.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katebrz
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your great comments following your recent visit to the Quay Hotel. Delighted you were so impressed with the hotel, pool, hydrotherapy pool, steam and sauna.

Good to know my local membership are also happy to commend our facilities and staff.

Look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Steve Ogden

Write a ReviewReviews (2,793)

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Found this place though Trip Advisor, a last minute to pop off for a couple of days, it had some mixed reviews but more positive than negative so went for it.

What a hidden gem! Beautiful place, views are stunning and the facilities are first class. Pool etc, excellent. Staff were warm, friendly and helpful.

First impressions count and we weren't disappointed. Sandra the reception manager showed us to our room, pointing out facilities on the way. Sometimes this approach can be a bit awkward, but she was so warm, friendly and down to earth it was really helpful.

We went for the Luxury Suite to guarantee a balcony and views and weren't disappointed. Room was great, good tea/coffee making facilities. Bathroom was good, but shower was a bit of an effort to be honest but didn't spoil things, and toiletries were top class.

Bedroom brilliant, king size bed, so comfortable and linen was excellent.

Whole place was spotless and anything we needed was there. Breakfast was good, pretty standard for this type of hotel, but nice to see them using local produce and everything we needed available, staff helpful and attentive and friendly.

In short, we will definitely be returning.

However, just a couple of points for consideration in terms of constructive feedback. Firstly, the TV in the room was contained in an wooden unit with doors which was ok, but the doors didn't go all the way back so stuck straight out meaning you had to sit right in front of it to watch but also when walking around the room, the doors were an obstruction and you had to close to walk past. If they had been able to be folded round the side of the unit it wouldn't be a problem!

Secondly when booking it would be useful to choose the location of the room, for instance I didn't want a ground floor but the system wasn't able to identify which rooms were available so you would only find out when checking in so you need to upgrade to be sure, which is more expensive.

But only two minor problems, on the whole this is an excellent hotel, staff do it proud and we will definitely be returning. Thanks for a lovely stay.

1  Thank Chris B

Dear Guests

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments following your recent stay. Delighted to read that you found “the hidden gem” that is the Quay Hotel and your first impressions continued throughout your visit Good to hear of your appreciation of our spotless Suite accommodation with balcony and your enjoyment of breakfast with local produce, served by friendly attentive staff.

Your valued feedback regarding the TV unit, is acknowledged and I would confirm we are aware of this design issue, which is under consideration on how best to address the matter.

Regarding your reservation experience, I think perhaps it wasn’t quite clear to you that you could have clicked over the brief description of the room which would have given you more details of the accommodation availability, there is also a box for additional requests which may have assisted you at the time. We are also happy to receive telephone calls and provide reservation assistance at any time.

Your kind words have been forwarded on to Sandra and I am glad to hear that you will definitely be returning. Please do not hesitate to contact my Reservations team direct next time, to ensure you are allocated the exact accommodation to suit your wishes.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Past reviews abouts the stuffy warm rooms are correct. We were ok but only just. Windows could not be left open.
Welcome was ok but rooms huge and soulless. Bathroom fine but why no walk in shower and low water pressure.
Views totally amazing and quiet.
Food appalling. Only the pea soup was worth having.
Staff obliging but not backed up by great kitchen.
Dry mussels ( only said no cream!!) bread presented with a florish and yet dry and tasteless
Amuse Bouche was ham based - we passed and were delivered the worst tasting sorbet ever! Bright orange and so very sweet.
Cheese overpriced. Cheap crackers and freezing cold Brie.
Swimming pool ok. SteZm room great. You pay deposit for towels!!!
No peppermint tea ( without caffeine) or chocolate available in the building. Just all sub stAbdard for price.
Thank goodness for the views.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank angiejess
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your balanced comments following your recent stay at the Quay Hotel. As you can appreciate guest’s opinions are very personal to each visit and you will see great comments regarding our rooms and food. I am sorry to hear of your experience, I’m aware of my Restaurant Manager trying to rectify the problems you suffered. The word appalling seems very harsh to describe our food, I would put it down to perhaps not your taste. I have discussed your comments with my Executive Chef in order to help us improve the quality we offer.

I sorry you found our rooms “soulless”, I understand when the hotel was designed it was agreed that the view should be the predominate feature and therefore the room décor should not detract from the stunning panorama of the estuary, castle and mountains.

Good to know you enjoyed our Leisure Suite and I would explain that we have had to introduce deposits for our towels, as we were “loosing” an unacceptable level of these items. It is a sad reflection on today’s society that this action was required, but, suffice it to say, our stocks of towels are now almost maintained.

I am investigating why peppermint tea and chocolate were not available, these are standard stock beverages and should be readily available at all times.

Your valued feedback is much appreciated and I do hope you will consider returning to the Quay in the future. When you have a date in mind, do contact me directly, so I can personally take care of your reservation.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We often stay in good hotels and we always look forward to the breakfast. This breakfast was not to the standard expected for the price, the dinning room was packed out on Sunday morning and we had to sit in the bar area until a table became free. The haddock was poached in Milk without warningI have an alergy to dairy- thank goodness I noticed. Monday morning I thought I will have the fruit salad this was very disappointing made of apples and oranges and little else.
The room was large and spacious but there was no water pressure to the sink or shower and therefore, hot water did always run. The room was very hot and we needed the balcony door open all night.
The views from the balcony were stunning but that was the only special thing about this hotel.
On leaving I passed a feedback form to the receptionist she promptly put it in a corner without reading my list of flaws. She did not ask about how we found our stay.
The iron and ironing board were excellent and so was the hair dryer.
The young who delivered room service was great and a great burger. The Maitre D was very good and apologetic for the breakfast situation.

Room Tip: Choose a balcony room on the first floor - Castle view.
1  Thank Virginia-t2feltham

Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback following your weekend stay with us at the Quay. I do apologise for the disappointments encountered during Breakfast and would assure you this is not our usual standard of service. As you kindly pointed out, the restaurant was particularly busy at the time, which can happen particularly at a weekend. I fully acknowledge that this is no excuse and I am sorry that your experience was not as we would have wished. I have discussed the points with my Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager in order to help improve the quality and service offered.

I have spoken with my maintenance team regarding the water pressure concerns and understand that the temperatures were higher than normal for North Wales. It is regrettable that you did not speak to one of the staff at the time, as this year, given the exceptional hot weather, we do offer fans on request for additional comfort in guests’ rooms.

Your constructive comments on the card handed in on check-out is very important to us and I personally read and respond to every one. The Receptionist would have also read the card a little later, not during her time on the front desk when her focus would have been on the immediate requirements of our guests.

Good to know that you enjoyed our stunning views, were appreciative of our in room amenities and your kind words have been forwarded on to my Breakfast Manager and Room Service Porter.

I trust you will consider returning to the Quay in the future, when you have a date in mind, do contact me directly, so I can personally take care of your reservation. I look forward to hearing from you on that occasion.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Decided to go for Sunday lunch while in the area on 1st Sept. Hotel in nice position overlooking estuary. Ordered Sunday roast in the bar, then nothing happened. 45 mins later asked bar staff where lunch was. He made inquiries then informed us that the order had been mislaid and not received in the kitchen. 10 mins later 2 x roast beef lunches arrived with a complementary pot of coffee. Food was OK (beef a bit tough) and we got the impression that it had been "sitting around" for a while. A bit disappointing for what looks like a smart efficient hotel.

1  Thank Joncl468
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your valued feedback, following your Sunday lunch with us yesterday. I do apologise that the service encountered was not to our usual standards and the beef was a little disappointing. I have spoken with my team to ensure consistencies within our service and quality is improved and maintained.

I do hope you will consider visiting us again in the future, allowing us an opportunity to offer you a much improved experience. Do contact me directy, when you have a date to return and I should be pleased to take care of your table reservation personally.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in August and found the hotel to be a good base from which to explore the local area.Being reasonably fit we walked into LLandudno which is about 2.5 miles away and also took a taxi on a couple of occasions. The hotel is modern, clean and well equipped with a small gym as well as a nice pool,sauna wet room, which we used during our stay and enjoyed. We stayed in a superior room with a view of the marina.The room was spacious with a comfortable bed and was clean.Features included a flat screen tv, balcony and large bathroom. There is a large car park for hotel guests and the breakfast menu was varied and enjoyable.

Deganwy is situated between Conwy and LLandudno,, the hotel is about 500 metres from the local railway station and in walking distance of a couple of local restaurants, one of which we visited called Paysanne which offered a varied a good quality french based menu.There are numerous good quality restaurants and pubs in nearby Llandudno and in Conwy

A thoroughly enjoyable stay.Would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steve W

Dear Guest

Thank you for your great comments following your recent stay with us at the Quay. Delighted to know your enjoyed three nights and found the hotel a good base for exploring the local area. Your kind appreciation of our hotel, gym with sauna, spacious comfortable room with balcony overlooking the estuary is very welcome.

Good to hear you had a great breakfast and also took advantage of the restaurant within walking distance of the hotel. Glad to hear you will be returning and I look forward to welcoming you back on that occasion.

Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel with serious flaws! Booked a room with a balcony only to be given a room on the ground floor with a patio on the walkway outside. But we were not up for making a fuss. We tried booking spa treatments and the girl didn't have a clue what she was doing so we didn't end up booking. The only plus was the guy who ran the pool - very efficient and friendly! The word bit came at 1am, we tried sleeping at 12 but when we closed our patio door (the only fresh air!) which we had to because of security ( anyone can just walk in) the heat was totally unbearable! And I am usually someone who wears socks to bed in summer! My partner went to ask for a fan he came back with the noisiest fan in the world and we did not sleep a wink! When checking out the lady asked how was your stay so I said not good and that we did not sleep, she was not bothered in the slightest and did not offer to compensate, which would have been the polite thing to do. Will not stay again!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank sara e

Dear Guest

Thank you for your constructive comments following your unsatisfactory stay. I do apologise for the disappointments encountered, it was most regrettable that you did not mention you were unhappy with the accommodation, as we may well have been able to offer alternative room and resolved some issues at the time.

I am sorry that a couple members of my team did not provide our usual high standard of customer care and service and would confirm I have spoken to the relative departments to ensure we improve the quality and service we offer.

Good to know that you found the hotel beautiful and appreciated the service received from the Leisure Suite staff. I am very concerned that you do not wish to stay with us again, but I do hope you will reconsider and give me an opportunity to offer a much improved experience. When you have a date in mind, do contact me directly, so I can personally take care of your reservation. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Steve Ogden

Also consider these accommodations in or near Deganwy
Castle Hotel
Royal Oak Hotel
Royal Oak Hotel
#2 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa

Been to The Quay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!