“Spa Day ”

The Quay Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deganwy
“Spa Day ”
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I visited here for a spa day recently, we enjoyed our day, particularly the massages we had, in a double treatment room. Unfortunately I cannot remember the therapists names (sorry!)
The changing rooms and general spa area was clean, and well maintained. The treatment rooms are well presented and relaxing.
I didn't find the relaxation room particularly relaxing due to the light shining in from the windows, dim lighting would work better, however the open windows show off the view of the marina.
The sorbet after your treatments is a nice touch, quite a few spas I've been to offer the same, it is a nice little extra. I do however get the feeling that the therapists did not look at the medical form we filled in prior to our treatments, as when we mentioned that my partner is diabetic and cannot eat the sorbet, they looked shocked and replied "oh is he?!"
We had lunch downstairs in the lounge bar, the food was excellent and the chips in particular were gorgeous! We did feel a little pushed to one side, as the service was rather slow, and the staff not very attentive towards us, (ie. asking if the food was ok, if we wanted any more drinks, if we wanted any sauces, a dessert menu, etc.) We noticed that other tables were being served quickly and the staff generally more attentive towards them, this may be that with the spa package you have a free lunch, and are not a full paying customer. The staff in the lounge bar were dressed very smartly, and the layout and decor was very tasteful.
We used the pool, sauna and steam room, we didn't stay in there long as it was very cold in the pool.
Overall, we had an enjoyable day, and I would return again, I want to try one of the REN facials as I've heard great things about the products!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued comments following your recent Spa Day at the Quay Hotel. Delighted to know you enjoyed your massage treatments and appreciated the cleanliness and relaxing atmosphere of the Spa.

I have taken on board, your observations regarding the lighting of the Relaxation Room and will be speaking to the Spa Manager to consider your feedback. I am very sorry to read that you felt the service you encountered in the Lounge Bar was rather slow, compared to other diners. I will speak to the team to ensure matters are addressed to ensure consistency in the levels of service we offer.

The pool temperature is usually set at a constant 29 – 30 degrees, but may well have been slow to come back to temperature after a maintenance procedure on that day.

Good to know you are planning to return for that REN Facial – we look forward to welcoming you back on that occasion.

Steve Ogden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (793)
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed for a weekend break with husband. Staff very friendly everyone greeted us at all times from cleaners to waiting staff. Massive room /suite superb view of the estuary. Very comfy large bed lovely breakfast and had one evening meal - a little bit on the overly fussy side for me but couldn't fault quality or service. Nice pool & gym sauna little bit small.
Overall an excellent hotel but could be even better with just some minor adjustments which were mildly irritating. Probably should have mentioned very poor water pressure in shower to reception but we coped. Two towelling bath robes only one knob to hang them on.an extra knob or a better hook would do this, hadn't got anywhere to hang a damp robe. I personally like a few drawers in a room these were a little lacking only a couple of very slim ones not good for clothes or even a larger size bra. Our room was made up of a bedroom/bathroom and a huge lounge with a large sort of hall/corridor - very much a wasted space. There was not a socket near a mirror in the bedroom had to keep going into the lounge up a quite dark corner for a mirror to do my hair. This may seem petty but I was going from one room to another to get ready and there were very large heavy doors between the rooms. I propped them open with chairs in the end and hung one of the robes over the open door ! Plea to all hoteliers please put sockets by mirrors in bedrooms in a well lit area. Slippers would also have been good to go with the robes especially as I was tripping around the different rooms to get ready. These are I know relatively petty things and wouldn't prevent from rating this hotel as anything other than excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tr0mans
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your constructive feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and my team offered friendly and welcoming service.

Your valued comments are much appreciated and I have taken all the points on board for consideration going forward. I will be consulting my Exec Head Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager to address the concerns raised.

I am pleased to read that you felt the hotel was "excellent" and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Booked through secret Escapes and wasn't sure what to expect. Efficient and friendly welcome and an upgrade to a Penthouse Suite which was excellent. Restaurant good but could do without the singer in the bar. Great views across the estuary and the hills beyond. especially nice as the weather was horrible. Will be going back as we didn't make use of the spa or pool.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wayne C
Dear Guests

thank you for your kind comments following your Secret Escape to the Quay. Good to know your found my staff efficient and friendly and enjoyed your upgrade to a Penthouse Suite.

Apologies if the background entertainment was not to your taste and I will take your feedback on board for future consideration.

Yes - our views are stunning and impressive in all weathers! Glad to hear you will be returning and I look forward to welcoming you back on the next occasion.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Had a great stay at the Quay. The hotel is very clean, organised and has a really relaxed atmosphere, the staff make you feel very welcome. Our room was lovely, the pool area clean and all the meals we had were a good standard. We had drinks in the bar in the evening and a meal in the restaurant and the hosts Rachel and Shauna were excellent as were all the other staff. We will definitely be returning as could not fault anything.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great comments following your recent stay with us at the Quay. Delighted to know you enjoyed our relaxed atmosphere, welcoming staff, lovely room, dining and leisure facilities.

Your kind words have been forwarded on to Rachel and Shauna and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Hednesford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed for a treat night at this smashing hotel. Room was spacious, SKY tv, trouser press, coffee tray and quality toiletries in roomy bathroom. We got early check-in 1300 hours which enabled us the time to enjoy the gym and spa, pool area had an ab fab water jet/jacuzzi, also sauna and steam room.
We took the opportunity of turn-down service which was done with flair - our wine and glasses strategically placed on table, robes on beds & towels re-folded. Nice touches.
Then the breakfast disappointment - choice of foods was excellent - from cereals, fresh fruit, yogurts, local breads and ham/cheeses to cooked choices including fried eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, black/White pud and smoked fish choices of smoked salmon, kippers or haddock.
The disappointment was the poor service.......
On arrival at our table we got a pot of coffee immediately and were asked if we wanted toast (we didn't). My husband was able to get his own buffet fry-up straight away but I took me 10 minutes to call a waitress to then order my smoked haddock which then took 20 minutes to arrive at which time my poached egg was cold!
I did order another one which was served warm!
Staff waiting on are plentiful but need direction.
However, great stay and reception staff very helpful and informative.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anita H
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback following your recent stay with us at the Quay Hotel. I am delighted to note that you enjoyed one of our spacious rooms with Sky TV and all the amenities. Good to know we could accommodate your early check in and you made full use of the pool and gym, however I would also clarify that even if you arrive before check in, all our guests are welcome to use these facilities at any time on the day of arrival.

I do apologise for the disappointments encountered at breakfast. I have spoken with the team to ensure we improve our consistency of quality and service.

I am pleased that you had a good stay and do hope I can welcome you back on another occasion.

Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Having stayed here on 2 previous occasions we decided to have a weekend in the penthouse suite with double balconies....the lounge is very large as is the bathroom and bedroom. It is very luxurious and so much space. All the mod cons you need and the balconies have stunning views across the water.

We had a stunning meal in the restaurant and could not fault the quality of the food and the service the new hostess was very friendly and chatty and the live singer in the bar area added to the atmosphere. Sadly the table of 4 old pompous guests did nothing but moan and harass the waitress all night....the only downside would have been these guests but not even there negativity could spoil our evening.

Breakfast on the balcony each day and a stunning breakfast it is.

As ever the spa was lovely and the staff yet again friendly and helpful

We will return in the New year but would like to thank everyone for making our anniversary so special.

Would like to thank Simon Harding for everything he did during our stay

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ncokey
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great comments, following your "perfect Anniversary" stay. I am delighted that your special occasion was enhanced by the facilities offered in one of our Penthouses - stunning views, luxury and all mod cons!

Good to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your restaurant meal and appreciated our live singer in the bar and a stunning breakfast on the balcony. Your kind words have been forwarded on to Simon and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the New Year .

Belated congratulations on your wedding anniversary -

Cornwall
Reviewed 31 October 2013

You know how it is, you check Facebook, you look at the photos, you check out the reviews on Trip Advisor...........but it doesn't often turn out to be quite the same as you were expecting. Normally not quite as good.
Visiting in Oct I thought perhaps it might be a bit worn looking from a busy summer?

Nope, the place was absolutely brilliant. The staff were friendly and polite, and the hotel itself was clean and actually well deserving of the 4 stars.

We only stayed for one night so we only had time for dinner and a breakfast.

So firstly, we had a Classic Double King room. It was on the ground floor and overlooked the zen courtyard. I'd imagine that would be nice in the summer but October tends to be windy and damp! The room was a very generous size, the bed comfortable, Sky channels on the TV and the bathroom was finished really nicely. On the downside, I nearly stuck the iron to my shirt as someone previously had quite obviously tried to iron a carrier bag with it. I took the iron to reception and by the time I had got back to my room the maintenance man had a new iron for me.

We hadn't booked a table in the restaurant for dinner and would have been happy either going to the restaurant or the bar. Turns out they could fit us in the restaurant. I'm glad they did! The dinner was stunning. I've never had "fancy food" before and usually opt for good n hearty man food!!
The staff were really good here, they explained all of the different food options and the chef even sent us out a free taster which we still have no idea what it was, but it was very nice!
What I particularly liked was the fact that the staff didn't keep coming to the table asking if everything is ok every 2 minutes - I hate that, leave me to eat and if I have a problem I'll let you know! The staff were close enough to "summon" if needed and were attentive without being annoying.
In particular I recommend the Chocolate Indulgence desert, it was amazing!!
If you think you fancy a meal in the restaurant, book a table because it fills up quick.

Breakfast was good, plenty of choice from the continental side and lots of hot food on the more traditional side. All served in the restaurant. The tables are a good distance apart as well so you don't feel a part of someone else's party!

Checkout was quick and painless and the receptionist offered us some advice on Llandudno as we were about to pop in before leaving the area.

We booked through OnHotels.com and wished we hadn't. When we checked out we found out that the hotels own rate was far cheaper than the so called discount website! The receptionist advised us to check with the hotel direct if we intended to come back, the rates change quite regular so it's well worth calling and asking.

Would we go back? Definitely!! Hopefully sooner rather than later. I want to go back when the evenings are lighter as the view from the restaurant would be great!!

Room Tip: The classic double king was plenty good enough for us. Our faced inwards and was pretty quiet except...