“Wonderful hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deganwy
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Wonderful hotel”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We have visited this hotel a few times in last eighteen months. The weekend of 2nd November 2013 my sons wedding was held there.we stayed two nights as did all our family and friends. It was fantastic. The ceremony held in an upstairs room was so moving with the sea and hills and castle as background.we had a meal for 22 family and friends in a private room the night before. Food was hot and well served.the wedding breakfast was lovely and the room was decorated with candelabras. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff . It was a perfect weekend and I can thoroughly recommend this hotel for a relaxing break.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the quay have the best view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank anne d
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely feedback, following your stay, celebrating your son's wedding at the Quay Hotel. I am so pleased that we were able to contribute to such a special family occasion and my team enhanced your perfect weekend.

Thank you for your kind recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Steve Ogden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (804)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Trust me, I would like to see it 4 or higher stars but unfortunately, smaller things that sometimes you expect and you don't even want to complain repeatedly have turned us down.
we were a couple staying for 2 nights marking my birthday occasion there. First, a quick list of all goods:
- Staff is friendly, warm and care for you. We found this during breakfasts, our conversation with reception staff, etc.
- Free parking, location of the property, rooms are pretty spacious.
- Suites are nice - looking towards the quay side and you get your space on the backside even though it's like a communal garden with a wall before the sea-front.
- As it was birthday, received a card and cup cakes as a good gesture!
- Corridors, rooms were normally well clean and taken care off.
- Room heaters, lights are all pretty effective, appropriately located.

Now the experience, may be one-off things that we encountered:
- A condom cover lying under bed.
- Flushing was not sorted properly. Even though they have specifically mentioned not to through any papers/towels/etc in the flush, may be that appeared to be the reason in the past or may be it was reflecting to be the reason at times in this property.
- No charging points next to your bed, you need to get up to put your gadgets to charging next to tv stand or in the lounge.
- In the lounge, TV is actually inside a cabinet (wooden almirah). In order to watch tele, you got to open the top doors and use remote to turn on tv. Now, no body sitting on the side-sofas can view this TV. Only the people sitting on the sofa opposite to the tv can view it and you can't view it from anywhere else in the lounge (for eg sitting on the dining table or in the balcony or on the side sofas.
- tv remote was bit faulty

I don't want to sound like complaining about these things, but this is what I observed and really feel that the future customers should not be observing all this. They deserve to have good experience given the hotel staff and efforts put into it.

We did not complain as we were leaving after a few hours however, in my case I don't see myself to complain these things one at a time only to spoil your mood or stuff that would not need urgent attention and making big fuss out of it.

We will not go back again(may be untill small things are sorted out). good luck to the future visitors!

Room tip: If you are still planning to visit given the good review this hotel has, go for suites. they are overlooking quays and you get nice views.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback following your recent 2 night stay to celebrate your birthday. Your positive complimentary comments and your constructive remarks are all appreciated and I am delighted to hear of the positive aspects of your visit.

I do apologise for the disappointments encountered and would assure you that I have spoken with the relevant managers to address the issues and improve the quality we offer going forward. However, I am sorry that you did not ask to speak to myself, or any of my management team, as I am sure we could have resolved some of the concerns at the time.

You will have observed from other listings on Trip Advisor, that we usually receive excellent feedback and thanks from guests who have thoroughly enjoyed their stay, it is most unfortunate that the “one off” items marred your experience.

I do hope you will consider returning and allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the Quay Hotel. When you have a date in mind, do contact me directly, so I can personally take care of your reservation.

I look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back in the future.

manchester
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Myself and my husband visited this hotel on a secret escapes deal, and what a deal it was! From the moment we arrived the check in staff were just lovely, we were shown to our gorgeous room by a lovely girl from reception, we were very impressed with our large estuary facing room with stunning views stretching right over the Conwy castle, what a lovely touch also to have a balcony on your room it really gives the feeling of being on 'holiday'.
The bed was really comfortable and the added bonus of sky tv, you don't get often in hotels.
We drove the 5 minutes into Conwy to see the lovely sights, including great britains smallest house and Conwy castle, if your here very worth a visit.
We ate in the grill room resteraunt the staff were lovely and very attentive, we both had steak and both agreed that we were impressed, well cooked, really good sizes of steak with lovely sides too! The cocktails are also lovely!
Breakfast the next morning was also very nice with a good selection of hot and cold food, fresh juice and tea and coffee to order.
All in all, we achieved exactly what we wanted, sightseeing, rest, and good food all because we found this gem of a hotel!
I think it would be safe to say we would love to return again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ange-F27
Dear Guests

Thank you for your lovely comments following your recent Secret Escape to the Quay Hotel. Delighted to know you appreciated our stunning location and views across the estuary to the castle and beyond.

Pleased to note that you enjoyed your dining experiences, a really relaxing rest and fitted in some local sight seeing as well!

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I visited here for a spa day recently, we enjoyed our day, particularly the massages we had, in a double treatment room. Unfortunately I cannot remember the therapists names (sorry!)
The changing rooms and general spa area was clean, and well maintained. The treatment rooms are well presented and relaxing.
I didn't find the relaxation room particularly relaxing due to the light shining in from the windows, dim lighting would work better, however the open windows show off the view of the marina.
The sorbet after your treatments is a nice touch, quite a few spas I've been to offer the same, it is a nice little extra. I do however get the feeling that the therapists did not look at the medical form we filled in prior to our treatments, as when we mentioned that my partner is diabetic and cannot eat the sorbet, they looked shocked and replied "oh is he?!"
We had lunch downstairs in the lounge bar, the food was excellent and the chips in particular were gorgeous! We did feel a little pushed to one side, as the service was rather slow, and the staff not very attentive towards us, (ie. asking if the food was ok, if we wanted any more drinks, if we wanted any sauces, a dessert menu, etc.) We noticed that other tables were being served quickly and the staff generally more attentive towards them, this may be that with the spa package you have a free lunch, and are not a full paying customer. The staff in the lounge bar were dressed very smartly, and the layout and decor was very tasteful.
We used the pool, sauna and steam room, we didn't stay in there long as it was very cold in the pool.
Overall, we had an enjoyable day, and I would return again, I want to try one of the REN facials as I've heard great things about the products!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued comments following your recent Spa Day at the Quay Hotel. Delighted to know you enjoyed your massage treatments and appreciated the cleanliness and relaxing atmosphere of the Spa.

I have taken on board, your observations regarding the lighting of the Relaxation Room and will be speaking to the Spa Manager to consider your feedback. I am very sorry to read that you felt the service you encountered in the Lounge Bar was rather slow, compared to other diners. I will speak to the team to ensure matters are addressed to ensure consistency in the levels of service we offer.

The pool temperature is usually set at a constant 29 – 30 degrees, but may well have been slow to come back to temperature after a maintenance procedure on that day.

Good to know you are planning to return for that REN Facial – we look forward to welcoming you back on that occasion.

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed for a weekend break with husband. Staff very friendly everyone greeted us at all times from cleaners to waiting staff. Massive room /suite superb view of the estuary. Very comfy large bed lovely breakfast and had one evening meal - a little bit on the overly fussy side for me but couldn't fault quality or service. Nice pool & gym sauna little bit small.
Overall an excellent hotel but could be even better with just some minor adjustments which were mildly irritating. Probably should have mentioned very poor water pressure in shower to reception but we coped. Two towelling bath robes only one knob to hang them on.an extra knob or a better hook would do this, hadn't got anywhere to hang a damp robe. I personally like a few drawers in a room these were a little lacking only a couple of very slim ones not good for clothes or even a larger size bra. Our room was made up of a bedroom/bathroom and a huge lounge with a large sort of hall/corridor - very much a wasted space. There was not a socket near a mirror in the bedroom had to keep going into the lounge up a quite dark corner for a mirror to do my hair. This may seem petty but I was going from one room to another to get ready and there were very large heavy doors between the rooms. I propped them open with chairs in the end and hung one of the robes over the open door ! Plea to all hoteliers please put sockets by mirrors in bedrooms in a well lit area. Slippers would also have been good to go with the robes especially as I was tripping around the different rooms to get ready. These are I know relatively petty things and wouldn't prevent from rating this hotel as anything other than excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tr0mans
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your constructive feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and my team offered friendly and welcoming service.

Your valued comments are much appreciated and I have taken all the points on board for consideration going forward. I will be consulting my Exec Head Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager to address the concerns raised.

I am pleased to read that you felt the hotel was "excellent" and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Booked through secret Escapes and wasn't sure what to expect. Efficient and friendly welcome and an upgrade to a Penthouse Suite which was excellent. Restaurant good but could do without the singer in the bar. Great views across the estuary and the hills beyond. especially nice as the weather was horrible. Will be going back as we didn't make use of the spa or pool.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wayne C
Dear Guests

thank you for your kind comments following your Secret Escape to the Quay. Good to know your found my staff efficient and friendly and enjoyed your upgrade to a Penthouse Suite.

Apologies if the background entertainment was not to your taste and I will take your feedback on board for future consideration.

Yes - our views are stunning and impressive in all weathers! Glad to hear you will be returning and I look forward to welcoming you back on the next occasion.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Had a great stay at the Quay. The hotel is very clean, organised and has a really relaxed atmosphere, the staff make you feel very welcome. Our room was lovely, the pool area clean and all the meals we had were a good standard. We had drinks in the bar in the evening and a meal in the restaurant and the hosts Rachel and Shauna were excellent as were all the other staff. We will definitely be returning as could not fault anything.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great comments following your recent stay with us at the Quay. Delighted to know you enjoyed our relaxed atmosphere, welcoming staff, lovely room, dining and leisure facilities.

Your kind words have been forwarded on to Rachel and Shauna and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Steve Ogden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deganwy
Bodysgallen Hall & Spa
The Imperial Hotel
The Imperial Hotel
#17 of 60 in Llandudno
Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa

Been to The Quay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!