“Animals not welcomed”

The Quay Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deganwy
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I wanted to spend two or three nights here over New Year 2013. But although they are a so called "dog friendly" hotel, going there with my cats was different. I must first say that, as I explained to them:
We have travelled all over Europe for 10 years, France, Spain, Italy, Slovenia, Belgium, Croatia etc with our 4 cats and stayed at highly prestigious hotels all over...for instance in Venice we stayed at one of the oldest and most exclusive small boutique hotels on the And last Christmas stayed at the Lake Country House Mid Wales one of their "dog" rooms and we and our cats were welcomed and indeed our cats adored.
However we where informed at The Quay that the cats needed to be caged whenever we were not in the room! (cruel the RSPCA would arrest us). They would be charging £20 per cat per night for "deep cleaning" of the room after we left (even though we would be staying in an acknowledged dog and owners room).
We were happy to pay £400 for the New Year event and night stay and £240 for each of the other two nights, plus I would have had at least two spa treatments, you would think they would be happy for our custom, but prejudice to cats overrides everything for them apparently. I did not stay as I would NOT put up with those conditions imposed, I would even have accepted reluctantly the £20 per night per cat, but to keep them in cages and hear how suspicious they were that cats would somehow dirty up their establishment...WELL..NO.
Beware cat owners they must think we all live in smelly dirty cat infested hovels!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank christine c
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Sir

My Revenue Manager has tried to contact you personally to clarify the situation which has obviously caused you a great deal of distress, but as yet, has not received any telephone number or call from you. It is a shame that you did not wait to speak with my manager before posting your thoughts on Trip Advisor, as I am sure matters could have been resolved in a more cordial manner.

However, I write to explain our company policy which you may not have quite understood when speaking to our Receptionist, Mel. Mel has been on our Reservations team for a number of years and was an original member of staff from when we opened the hotel, so I know her to be courteous, helpful with a good level of customer service skills. I am disappointed to note that you felt her email to you confirming accommodation availability and the required restrictions when accepting animals, was rude. She was merely confirming to you our policy.

You will appreciate how meticulous we have to be, with particular care for those guests booked into the accommodation after an animal has been in the room. A thorough deep clean is priority and you will acknowledge the dangers of an allergic reaction, if stringent measures are not undertaken. The request for the animal to be caged is also a health and safety issue, to ensure the animal does not roam about the room unchecked, leaving the cat vulnerable to hurting itself and yes, we are also concerned that the furnishing and fitments could be damaged. You will also acknowledge that animals often behave out of character, if left alone in unfamiliar surroundings.

I am sorry that you feel so upset that you have now discounted a New Year treat at the Quay Hotel. Maybe a more rural hotel will have the specialised facilities you require at this time, with a view to considering the Quay as a destination on another occasion.

Steve Ogden

Write a ReviewReviews (2,792)

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here after a brief visit a couple of months ago, check in was fine, room (Suite) was of the highest spec... Great view over the estuary.

However, the bar service was appalling, my order was taken and paid for, I received my drink unfortunately for me, the child (terrible manner) behind the bat completey forgot my wife's drink when one of his mates came in and duly stood talking to him despite me and other people waiting to be served.

Food was excellent, Rachael, who was at table service, was very good, chatty, whitty and above all, brought the food along exactly how we ordered. Credit to her...

My wife and I both mentioned the appalling bar service, Rachael did go away and address..

To sum up.. Room - Excellent, Food -Excellent, Breakfast - Excellent, Check-In, Excellent, Restaurant Service - Excellent, Bar Service (complete with complimentary attitude) - Absolute Zero.

Would I recommend, possibly.. I wouldn't return in a hurry.

Just like everyone else, you never remember the goods points when you've experienced a bad point.

Note. Why do you employ kids who have no social, no understanding of service and more importantly, brush me aside when their mates come in.. A definite L&D issue. Cheap put on one of the mist important aspect of running a service based business.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your valued feedback following your stay with us a couple of months ago. I am so sorry to read of the shortfall in service levels encountered in our bar, which is even more concerning particularly as every other aspect of your time with us was “excellent”.

I totally agree with your sentiments that, despite the pleasurable positive qualities of your visit, the prevailing memory is going to be the one negative disappointment.

Please be assured that I have discussed your comments with my team to ensure they learn from your experience thus improving the quality and service we offer.

I do hope you will consider returning to the Quay Hotel and, in order to restore your confidence, do contact me directly when you have a date in mind, so I can personally take care of your reservation.

I look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Had heard such wonderful reviews about the place and so looked forward to it. Booked a suite for one night with a view of the Estuary. It cost us a great deal of money - £235 for one night. We arrived at 2.30 pm to be told our room was not ready. It was not until 3.20 that we were given the keys with no apology. When we arrived at our suite the maid had only just arrived and it was clear she would be some time. We left all our personal belongings on the floor and took just our bags to go swimming.By the time we arrived back in our suite it was dark so we did not have the advantage of the view we had paid extra for. The suite, I felt was in need of refurbishment so that was disappointing.
The water in the pool was cold as was the jacuzzi.
I returned to reception to report what had happened. I was met with a very frosty response from the manager when I requested that we retain our room until 1pm the following day as recompense - I did not feel that this was an unreasonable request as the maid did not arrive to prepare our room until after 3pm. Had they been appologetic and willing to help I probably would not have written this review.
I did receive a small discount
BIG MISTAKE - I do live quite local and will certainly pass the word around.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Margaret L
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback, I am sorry to read of the disappointment encountered. I would confirm that we cannot guarantee our rooms availability until 3pm, however guests are most welcome to use all our facilities at any time on their day of arrival. If accommodation is ready before this time we are pleased to check guests in early, but your particular room was not on this occasion.

I have spoken with the relevant teams to investigate your concerns and miscommunication between Housekeeping and Reception led to you being taken to your room before it was ready and I do apologise for this error on our part. Naturally, when you arrived the Room Attendant did leave the room to allow you to time to deposit your luggage etc, which delayed her being able to complete the room service. I am also sorry that the manager on Reception was not sufficiently understanding of the situation, although as you acknowledge, you did receive a discount in regarding of this issue.

The Hotel is a modern new build and we usually receive great comments about the standard of our bedrooms, especially our superior rooms overlooking the estuary, but I do understand your comments as everyone's personal tastes do differ.

Our pool water is maintained at a constant temperature of between 29 – 31 degrees, 3 degrees warmer than a public swimming pool and is tested regularly throughout the day and our records show that this was the case on the day of your visit. The Hydrotherapy Pool is fed directly from the pool, therefore the temperature of the main pool and hydrotherapy jets is the same.

As you will note from other Trip Advisor postings, the majority of comments are positive and very appreciative of the hotel facilities and my staff. I do hope you will consider another visit in the future which will reflect the wonderful reviews you had expected.

When you have a date in mind to return, do contact me directly so I can personally take care of your reservation.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My husband bought me the Winter Wonderland package as an anniversary treat, it included 3 treatments and the unlimited use of the facilities. I had the head, shoulder and neck massage with hot stones, a full body exfoliation and a facial and decollete massage. The whole experience was lovely and we both thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your great comments following your Winter Wonderland anniversary treat. Good to know you both enjoyed the whole experience of treatments and our leisure facilities.

Belated congratulations on your anniversary and I look forward to welcoming you back for a return visit in the future.

Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Just returned from an afternoon of luxury and bliss!! Purchased a zoopla voucher for a spa session which included access to the spa and pool area, a back,shoulder and neck massage and a facial. The relaxation room and teas/refreshments were fab! The treatments were just what the doctor ordered! The therapist, Amy, listened to my needs and she was brilliant. We were given drinks and a refreshing sorbet after treatments and left to relax in the cosy relaxation room. No rushing, just perfect. Lunch was also included in the package and we were given a choice of light lunches to chose from and an option to eat lunch in the spa or down in the bar. We headed to the bar, the service was excellent and the food was of high quality. Drinks were also included, I chose from the lovely herbal tea selection. Another bonus in the package was a free gift set! All for £59! Happy isn't the word!! We will return!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank wish t

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments, following your recent visit to our Spa. I am delighted to read of your enjoyment of the treatments, pool and leisure facilities, fab tea and refreshments. Your kind words have been forwarded on to Amy and the team in the bar. Good to know you received excellent service and our food was high quality.

I am pleased to note you will be returning for more "luxury and bliss" in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back on that occasion.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

visited here for an afternoon snack with my friend.

We ordered garlic bread - £3+ per portion - which was one slice of a ciabatta AND COLD

I ordered a pot of tea £3.25. It is a strange brand of tea and was served as tea leaves in a glass cafetierre. It tasted disgusting !!! My first tea cup was chipped and I had to get another cup - not 5* - about 1*

When we went to pay we commented on the Tea - and was told - I was obviously used to drinking tea from a tea bag !!!! how rude !!!!!!!

Having dined in lots of places I know what tea tastes like

THEN TO MAKE IT EVEN WORSE - WE HAD TO PAY FOR THE TEA !!!
£3.25 - FOR THAT PRICE THEY SHOULD LEARN HOW TO MAKE IT PROPERLY

If you want to get ripped off - this is the place to go.

If you are hungry - do not go here !!!

the only advantage is the view - but as it is dark most of the time now - don't bother !!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank westie6692

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback, sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your experience with us.

Firstly, we use fresh tea leaves at the Quay Hotel with no artificial flavourings unlike what’s used in most domestic tea bags. I understand this is different from what you may use, so I’m putting your comments down as personal preference to you and not poor quality tea. What I do not accept are the issues with the chipped cup and the service you received. I will certainly discuss this with my team to ensure we continue to offer great quality and service.

The garlic bread is offered as 2 slices with a salad garnish, if your garlic bread was served cold I hope you reported it at the time so we could rectify the problem. I suggest if you were hungry then maybe a more substantial meal would have been recommended.

I’m sure you will agree that we do not often get comments like yours on sites such as Trip Advisor, so a return visit would be recommended to change your opinion from this visit. Once you have a date in mind then please do contact me so I have the opportunity to meet and rectify the issues.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Eloquent break, fabulous in every way, gourmet food, fantastic spa, sophisticated furnishings, stunnung views. Cannot wait to return ! Particular thanks to Tom, bar manager and extremely hospitable waitress Emma for their valuable contribution in making our stay such a pleasurable and memirable experience.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank JacWilson
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your great comments, following your recent stay with us. Delighted to hear of your kind appreciation of our food, fantastic spa and stunning views.

Your thanks have been passed on to Tom and Emma, so pleased to hear they contributed to making your stay pleasurable and memorable.

Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Steve Ogden

Also consider these accommodations in or near Deganwy
Castle Hotel
Royal Oak Hotel
Royal Oak Hotel
#2 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa

Been to The Quay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!