“What a Gem !” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deganwy
Stafford, United Kingdom
“What a Gem !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

My daughter and I have just had a fabulous break at this hotel. The room with huge comfortable bed and a view to die for with the sun shining on the boats bobbing in the estuary. The meal was exceptional and we both enjoyed tasting new and unusual dishes! The spa, swimming pool and sauna were an added luxury. However, what pulled this all together were the staff, whoever oversees recruitment picks the best of the crop ! I think customer care can be taught but all staff we met just seemed happy and cared about their customers on a genuine natural level, from the young girl who was so friendly when booking in and showing us to our room - to ALL staff who served us in the restaurant, the lovely spa team and even the young girl cleaning a room who stopped and found me a bag for a wet swimsuit. Well done - we will be back and recommend you to everyone !

Room Tip: We looked directly on to the water front.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely feedback, I am delighted you enjoyed a "fabulous" break at the Quay Hotel. Good to know you found the accommodation comfortable with fantastic views. Glad to hear you experienced great food and took best advantage of our pool, sauna and steam amenities!

Your kind words regarding my team are very much appreciated and have been passed on to all. Thank you for your recommendations and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Steve Ogden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (768)
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at this Hotel for 1 night to attend a function. The Room was very pleasant with modern furnishings, with Hot Chocolate in the room! The Staff were very helpful.

The Location is excellent, with view overlooking the North Wales coast line, with the Marina is right next door.

Food was a tad disappointing.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the bay.
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind posting, following you recent one night stay with us at the Quay. Good to know you found the room very pleasant and enjoyed the Hot Chocolate !

Sorry to note you found the food slightly disappointing, I will forward your comments on to my Head Chef to ensure improvement in the consistency of the quality offered.

Do hope you will visit us again and I look forward to welcoming you back on that occasion.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Just been on my second visit to this Hotel. Sorry to say it has slipped down in my estimation.
Accommodation is almost perfect (Lack of Hooks to hang things on in the Bathroom and unable to open the wardrobe door properly without damaging the full length mirror!)
The real problem, though, is that the food was not nearly as good as on our last visit.
Has the Chef changed?

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AlanAbrams
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback following your second visit to the Quay and I do apologise for the disappointments encountered. I have spoken with my Head Chef in order to ensure improved consistency of the quality offered.

Good to know that the accommodation was "almost perfect". We are considering how best to address the maintenance concern and thank you for your observations.

I do hope you will be visiting us again in the future and, when you have a date in mind, do contact me directly so I can personally take care of your reservation.

I look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back on the next occasion.

Wrexham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I wanted to spend two or three nights here over New Year 2013. But although they are a so called "dog friendly" hotel, going there with my cats was different. I must first say that, as I explained to them:
We have travelled all over Europe for 10 years, France, Spain, Italy, Slovenia, Belgium, Croatia etc with our 4 cats and stayed at highly prestigious hotels all over...for instance in Venice we stayed at one of the oldest and most exclusive small boutique hotels on the And last Christmas stayed at the Lake Country House Mid Wales one of their "dog" rooms and we and our cats were welcomed and indeed our cats adored.
However we where informed at The Quay that the cats needed to be caged whenever we were not in the room! (cruel the RSPCA would arrest us). They would be charging £20 per cat per night for "deep cleaning" of the room after we left (even though we would be staying in an acknowledged dog and owners room).
We were happy to pay £400 for the New Year event and night stay and £240 for each of the other two nights, plus I would have had at least two spa treatments, you would think they would be happy for our custom, but prejudice to cats overrides everything for them apparently. I did not stay as I would NOT put up with those conditions imposed, I would even have accepted reluctantly the £20 per night per cat, but to keep them in cages and hear how suspicious they were that cats would somehow dirty up their establishment...WELL..NO.
Beware cat owners they must think we all live in smelly dirty cat infested hovels!!!!

2 Thank SwitzerlandChristine
Dear Sir

My Revenue Manager has tried to contact you personally to clarify the situation which has obviously caused you a great deal of distress, but as yet, has not received any telephone number or call from you. It is a shame that you did not wait to speak with my manager before posting your thoughts on Trip Advisor, as I am sure matters could have been resolved in a more cordial manner.

However, I write to explain our company policy which you may not have quite understood when speaking to our Receptionist, Mel. Mel has been on our Reservations team for a number of years and was an original member of staff from when we opened the hotel, so I know her to be courteous, helpful with a good level of customer service skills. I am disappointed to note that you felt her email to you confirming accommodation availability and the required restrictions when accepting animals, was rude. She was merely confirming to you our policy.

You will appreciate how meticulous we have to be, with particular care for those guests booked into the accommodation after an animal has been in the room. A thorough deep clean is priority and you will acknowledge the dangers of an allergic reaction, if stringent measures are not undertaken. The request for the animal to be caged is also a health and safety issue, to ensure the animal does not roam about the room unchecked, leaving the cat vulnerable to hurting itself and yes, we are also concerned that the furnishing and fitments could be damaged. You will also acknowledge that animals often behave out of character, if left alone in unfamiliar surroundings.

I am sorry that you feel so upset that you have now discounted a New Year treat at the Quay Hotel. Maybe a more rural hotel will have the specialised facilities you require at this time, with a view to considering the Quay as a destination on another occasion.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here after a brief visit a couple of months ago, check in was fine, room (Suite) was of the highest spec... Great view over the estuary.

However, the bar service was appalling, my order was taken and paid for, I received my drink unfortunately for me, the child (terrible manner) behind the bat completey forgot my wife's drink when one of his mates came in and duly stood talking to him despite me and other people waiting to be served.

Food was excellent, Rachael, who was at table service, was very good, chatty, whitty and above all, brought the food along exactly how we ordered. Credit to her...

My wife and I both mentioned the appalling bar service, Rachael did go away and address..

To sum up.. Room - Excellent, Food -Excellent, Breakfast - Excellent, Check-In, Excellent, Restaurant Service - Excellent, Bar Service (complete with complimentary attitude) - Absolute Zero.

Would I recommend, possibly.. I wouldn't return in a hurry.

Just like everyone else, you never remember the goods points when you've experienced a bad point.

Note. Why do you employ kids who have no social, no understanding of service and more importantly, brush me aside when their mates come in.. A definite L&D issue. Cheap put on one of the mist important aspect of running a service based business.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your valued feedback following your stay with us a couple of months ago. I am so sorry to read of the shortfall in service levels encountered in our bar, which is even more concerning particularly as every other aspect of your time with us was “excellent”.

I totally agree with your sentiments that, despite the pleasurable positive qualities of your visit, the prevailing memory is going to be the one negative disappointment.

Please be assured that I have discussed your comments with my team to ensure they learn from your experience thus improving the quality and service we offer.

I do hope you will consider returning to the Quay Hotel and, in order to restore your confidence, do contact me directly when you have a date in mind, so I can personally take care of your reservation.

I look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back in the future.

Mold
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Had heard such wonderful reviews about the place and so looked forward to it. Booked a suite for one night with a view of the Estuary. It cost us a great deal of money - £235 for one night. We arrived at 2.30 pm to be told our room was not ready. It was not until 3.20 that we were given the keys with no apology. When we arrived at our suite the maid had only just arrived and it was clear she would be some time. We left all our personal belongings on the floor and took just our bags to go swimming.By the time we arrived back in our suite it was dark so we did not have the advantage of the view we had paid extra for. The suite, I felt was in need of refurbishment so that was disappointing.
The water in the pool was cold as was the jacuzzi.
I returned to reception to report what had happened. I was met with a very frosty response from the manager when I requested that we retain our room until 1pm the following day as recompense - I did not feel that this was an unreasonable request as the maid did not arrive to prepare our room until after 3pm. Had they been appologetic and willing to help I probably would not have written this review.
I did receive a small discount
BIG MISTAKE - I do live quite local and will certainly pass the word around.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Margaret L
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback, I am sorry to read of the disappointment encountered. I would confirm that we cannot guarantee our rooms availability until 3pm, however guests are most welcome to use all our facilities at any time on their day of arrival. If accommodation is ready before this time we are pleased to check guests in early, but your particular room was not on this occasion.

I have spoken with the relevant teams to investigate your concerns and miscommunication between Housekeeping and Reception led to you being taken to your room before it was ready and I do apologise for this error on our part. Naturally, when you arrived the Room Attendant did leave the room to allow you to time to deposit your luggage etc, which delayed her being able to complete the room service. I am also sorry that the manager on Reception was not sufficiently understanding of the situation, although as you acknowledge, you did receive a discount in regarding of this issue.

The Hotel is a modern new build and we usually receive great comments about the standard of our bedrooms, especially our superior rooms overlooking the estuary, but I do understand your comments as everyone's personal tastes do differ.

Our pool water is maintained at a constant temperature of between 29 – 31 degrees, 3 degrees warmer than a public swimming pool and is tested regularly throughout the day and our records show that this was the case on the day of your visit. The Hydrotherapy Pool is fed directly from the pool, therefore the temperature of the main pool and hydrotherapy jets is the same.

As you will note from other Trip Advisor postings, the majority of comments are positive and very appreciative of the hotel facilities and my staff. I do hope you will consider another visit in the future which will reflect the wonderful reviews you had expected.

When you have a date in mind to return, do contact me directly so I can personally take care of your reservation.

Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

My husband bought me the Winter Wonderland package as an anniversary treat, it included 3 treatments and the unlimited use of the facilities. I had the head, shoulder and neck massage with hot stones, a full body exfoliation and a facial and decollete massage. The whole experience was lovely and we both thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your great comments following your Winter Wonderland anniversary treat. Good to know you both enjoyed the whole experience of treatments and our leisure facilities.

Belated congratulations on your anniversary and I look forward to welcoming you back for a return visit in the future.

Steve Ogden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deganwy
Bodysgallen Hall & Spa
St. George's Hotel
#13 of 60 in Llandudno
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,300 reviews
Ruthin Castle Hotel

Been to The Quay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!