“Lovely Lunchtime treat.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deganwy
North Wales
“Lovely Lunchtime treat.”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Was a little unsure to give this place a try but, so glad we did. We ate on a Saturday Lunchtime and went for the 2 course special menu. You can have a 3 course for an extra fiver but thought it might be to much so we settled for two. The restaurant was certainly busy as was the bar area serving snacks and full meals. The three of us enjoyed are mains and dessert's all served by pleasant staff and smartly dressed. The only gripe I had was the price of 2 small glasses of house red wine at over £10. On conclusion though will we return.... definitely.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank hockneyhockers
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments, I am delighted to hear you "gave us a try" and enjoyed Saturday lunch with us recently. Good to know you appreciated our good food offering, served by my pleasant, smartly dressed team.

Sorry to note that the wine price caused concern and would clarify that the wine measure served at the Quay is 175 ml, where as a standard glass of wine is 125ml. We also endeavour to keep our prices as competitive as possible and confirm that our bar tariff is set in line with similar establishments within the local area.

Glad to hear you would definitely return and I look forward to welcoming you back on that occasion.

Steve Ogden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (802)
North Wales
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The Quay is a smashing hotel with smiley staff and a great view over the Conwy estuary. We had a tremendous time over the Christmas break in 2012, so good in fact we decided to book again for 2013.
Although the festive food was to a high standard, cost cutting appeared to be much in evidence by the appearance of 2012 Christmas crackers and also less staff who were doing their best to serve 120 in an 80-seater restaurant. The pressure these gallant people were under could not be disguised. Shame.
Smoked haddock at one breakfast should have been a real treat, but it was stinky and obviously not fresh.
The Christmas eve fireworks from Conwy castle were everyone's delight and the evening entertainment was absorbing but neither could help elevate Christmas 2012 ,costing over £800, to five stars.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms facing the sea are quiet with super views.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your Xmas experience at the Quay Hotel in 2012 that you booked for 2013. Good to know you found our festive food offering was to a high standard and I am sorry that you felt there were some detrimental economies being made. Please be assured our staffing levels are calculated to provide our guests with the best service – your concerns will be considered carefully for forthcoming events.

I do apologise that our smoked haddock fell short of expectations and would confirm I immediately made my Head Chef aware of your remarks, in order to assist with the consistency of quality offered.

I am pleased to note that the fireworks and evening entertainment were well received, however I would confirm that we had crackers in stock from last year and therefore used them. There is no “sell by” date, or consumables within the crackers which would preclude us from using them at a later date. I am therefore at a loss to understand why the crackers used caused concern.

I would clarify that although we are a four star hotel, we continuously strive to offer 5 star quality and service. I also believe our Christmas package provided excellent value for money, including mulled wine on arrival, cream team in the afternoon, champagne and a local choir with carols, 4 course meal and fireworks. Christmas Day and Boxing Day also offered fabulous meals, festive feasting, Christmas gifts for every guest, entertainment each day and in a most stunning location.

I do hope you will reconsider the negative elements of your posting and I trust all other aspects of your Christmas were enjoyed to the full. I look forward to welcoming you back for next Xmas, or even sooner for that special few days away……..

manchester
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We arrived on New Years Eve to be greeted by a very friendly team of staff who couldn't do enough, had many nice touches, mulled wine on arrival, afternoon tea then champagne and canopes before a five course extravangaza meal, The room where the party was held was beautifully decorated and lots of attention to detail, At midnight there was whiskey and haggis just all wonderful touches that made the night exceptional. The only disappointment was the band too loud and couldn't sing plus you didn't need them as the disco was brilliant. Bellini brunch next day was superb and our evening meal was faultless. I had booked a suite facing the estuary room 248 gorgeous! we will be back!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments, following your New Year stay with us at the Quay. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed a fantastic time and appreciated my friendly team, great food, our beautiful decorations and our wonderful touches that made New year's Eve exceptional.

I do apologise that you found the band too loud and felt the singer could have been better. I do appreciate your valued feedback, which will certainly be taken into consideration when planning this year's event. Good to hear the Disco was "brilliant" and the Bellini Brunch the next day was superb!

So pleased to note that you will be back and I look forward to welcoming you for a return visit - why wait till New Year, do come during the summer months and experience all the Quay and North Wales has to offer in the warmer months.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

My wife and I haven't been to a hotel without the kids since 15years plus .You can understand why we were looking forward to staying in this 4 stars hotel.We were given a lovely welcome by a young man at reception who showed us to our penthouse room .The room was massive. There was a small entrance area leading to a lounge which had a comfortable sofa and TV/digital radio.The bathroom was long with a circular bath , two sinks and a shower located right to the entrance .The queen size bed (well I think it was queen size ) was soft ,comfortable and linen soft to touch.The windows and balcony overlooked the Conwy estuary with Conwy castle in the background .Absolutely wonderful .Didn't go to the spa but spent afternoon in the swimming pool ,sauna and steam room. Just the job !IDinner was a 4 course meal -wonderful-we felt as if were in a top London restaurant.The staff treated us as VIPs.14th of February is valentines day and we noticed that the hotel advertised this.The day we went was the equivalent Welsh Santes Dwynwen and it would have been nice if this was celebrated especially as the hotel uses Welsh local produce of high quality.Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and looking forward to return there in the near future .

Room Tip: Penthouse facing the estuary and castle.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank ieuanedwards
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great comments, following your recent say with us at the Quay Hotel.

Delighted to know that you thoroughly enjoyed our lovely welcome, beautiful penthouse accommodation, fantastic views over to Conwy Castle, relaxing leisure facilities and a wonderful dining experience.

Yes we are aware of the 25 January as being the Welsh Valentines Day and we do appreciate your suggestion that we should make more of the significance to celebrate and promote our Welsh local produce. Certainly a consideration for next year.

Good to know you are planning a return visit and I look forward to welcoming you back on that occasion.

May I wish you a belated "dydd Santes Dwynwen hapus"

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We booked a two night break at The Quay in Deganwy through a special offer. We had two nights bed and breakfast, a dinner, and a lunch. I thought the hotel looked nice in the photos, but I have to say nothing really special, and it was the offer that really tempted me. However, what a nice surprise, as the hotel was actually far nicer than the photos. The bar and the restaurant are both stylish and comfortable, and the staff were so lovely and welcoming. We ate in the restaurant and the food was gorgeous. We also booked treatments at the spa, and I had possibly the nicest treatment I have ever had. Jody was brilliant, and really knew what she was doing. A persistent neck and shoulder niggle were given the push, so I am very happy about that. Followed by a simply wonderful facial. The spa upstairs has a lovely laid back feel although the pool area downstairs is quite small. Our room faced the estuary, and the view was great. We could see Conwy Castle in one direction, and the open sea in the other direction, with numerous sailing vessels bobbing around. I would definitely visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: We had a suite that faced the water, and this gave us a lovely view to wake up to.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great comments following your two night break at the Quay Hotel. Delighted to know we provided a "lovely surprise" for you and you thoroughly enjoyed all the Quay had to offer - stylish bar and restaurant, lovely, welcoming staff, gorgeous food and stunning views.

I am so pleased to know you had one of the nicest treatments ever and your kind words have been passed on to Jodie.

Good to know you will definitely be visiting us again and I look forward to welcoming you back on that occasion.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Just returned from 3 nights relaxation in a Junior suite with dinner, bed and breakfast. The suite was very big with an entrance hall and then 3 doors off for the bedroom, bathroom and a large lounge with patio doors on to a small balcony. The views of the estuary were excellent and ever changing with the tide! My husband was forever taking photos! Only down side to the room was that the bed was hard and lumpy!
Access to Estuary view rooms seem to be via the courtyard-only a few steps but wish I had taken something to go round my shoulders in the evening.
The staff were all lovely - friendly and helpful..
Dinner in the evening was excellent - not a lot of choice without paying extra but it was well presented and tasted wonderful. (The mussels are the best I have ever had!) The different bread as an appetizer and a Chef special while waiting for your starter was a nice touch.
A very relaxing few days just what was needed after my husbands illness.

Room Tip: Estuary view is a must. Courtyard is very small so views would not be so good.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent 3 night stay at the Quay Hotel. Delighted to know you enjoyed our stunning location and the views from your balcony.

Your valued feedback is much appreciated, I am sorry to hear that your bed was not as comfortable as expected, please be assured I will personally investigate and resolve matters.

Good to hear my staff were helpful and friendly and your dining experience was excellent. Your kind words have been forwarded on to my Head Chef and her team.

Trust your husband's health continues to improve and we look forward to welcoming you back again for a few more relaxing days in the future.

Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

The Quay hotel was fine.... Excellent rooms and friendly, helpful staff.
BUT we had gone for a 2 night, 3 day stay.. Especially to relax and have a few Spa sessions. When we went to the Spa to book, we were told that they were fully booked for 3 whole days, even though the hotel didn't seem too busy.
If it is fully booked on a cold Sunday, Monday & Tuesday in January.. Heaven knows how you could get a treatment in high season.

We would advise anyone wanting to use the Spa, to book their sessions BEFORE they book accommodation.

Perhaps we should have been advised to check that the Spa had times available, when we rung to book the short break ??

A bit of a wasted weekend, which was a shame.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback following your recent weekend at the Quay Hotel. Delighted to know that you found the rooms excellent and appreciated my friendly helpful staff.

It was most unfortunate that our Spa was fully booked and we would agree with you that booking an appointment prior to your visit would be best. As you now are aware, our Spa is very busy and therefore, within our confirmation letter we do advise guests to book in advance.

We also offer specific Spa Breaks, which makes provision for you to book your appointment as part of the accommodation package. Do look on our website for these special offerings.

I do hope your disappointment will not deter you from visiting us again and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Steve Ogden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deganwy
Bodysgallen Hall & Spa
The Imperial Hotel
The Imperial Hotel
#17 of 60 in Llandudno
Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa

Been to The Quay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!