“Great hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deganwy
Dublin, Ireland
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed here in February 2014, the hotel is in a great location with wonderful sea views. The food is exceptional and the staff are excellent. The bar staff are friendly. One little quibble the hotel directory was too brief.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (779)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

staff very friendly and extremely helpful; food excellent; spa facilities good but need to time it well to make sure not too busy; fantastic location although got stuck every time for a few minutes at level crossing waiting for trains to go past. will definitely return and have recommended

Room Tip: view over estuary was very nice to wake up to
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Cheshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Have just read tash21dance review . Interestingly I stayed with 5 friends way back in 2010 to celebrate my 50th birthday. Our stay was spoilt by a coach load of welsh rugby players staying on our corridor ,in and out of each other's rooms , doors slamming, excess noise etc, until one of us called reception. Yes it spoilt my birthday treat( we 6 friends spa a lot) and no, when we complained - no reduction. If you book check no rugby tours are also booked in. I am Duane to stay again soon as my husband is working in a the area - I hope ther are no rugby teams in sight as it is our wedding anniversary!

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Diane L
Llandudno, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

My wife and I have just returned from an overnight stay to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary. We were on a Secret Escapes B&B deal. Our room was huge, clean and well furnished, and had great full-on views of the estuary. We dined in the Grill Room and we both chose the local mussels for starters. They were delicious! For the main, my wife had the lamb dish and I had the sea bass. We both had the local ice creams to follow. The food was all perfectly cooked and delicious, and the abundant staff were extremely friendly and attentive. The bed was large and very comfortable, and we both had an excellent nights sleep, undisturbed by any noise whatsoever. The next morning we both enjoyed a huge tasty breakfast looking out at the fantastic view from the dining room window. I can certainly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a top quality venue to celebrate a special occasion. The Quay hotel has the highest standards of quality, and excellent staff. I cannot praise it highly enough! It wasn't cheap, but with Hotels, as wish most things in life, you get what you pay for, and it was worth every penny. Thank you everybody!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike-and-Eirian
Bethesda, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Booked a Spa Deal,use of facilities,light lunch and treatments as a treat or myself and my wife.We have used the Quay before and had a good time on a similar deal,however his time it felt jaded and tired and appeared to have been somewhat neglected.In my opinion the facilities are in need of their own " makeover"
The welcome at the Spa reception at 12 midday was ok after we had waited over 5 mins downstairs at the Health Club reception,nobody came so we took the opportunity to follow some other guests upstairs.We were given forms to fill in and told to look at the menu,s to pick our lunch ,the only slot we could have was 2.00pm as their was limited seating available,if we wanted to eat sooner we could eat in the Restaurant.As we intended to make use of the facilities on offer we didn't really fancy getting changed back into day clothes and didn't.t think the restaurant would be ready for me in my white fluffy robe! ,so 2.00 pm it was.Whilst filling in the forms other guests forms were just sitting on adjacent tables with personal details clearly visible for all to see.
Back downstairs to the changing rooms as there are no changing facilities upstairs in the Spa,did not sign into the Visitors book,surely a Health and Safety or Fire regulation,we were not told that we needed a £1 coin to operate the lockers only to find out later.
Into the pool area to find only 3 recliners,all being used and three chairs with "bandy legs" an accident waiting to happen.
Into the hydrotherapy pool and straight out again as it was cold! Have a shower before using the Sauna,oh my goodness ! Only freezing cold water with no means of changing the supply of water!
Back to the changing rooms for a warm shower watching several people go straight into the pool without showering,maybe they knew how cold the poolside shower was.
One of the women on he recliners was drinking something fizzy out of a glass flute ,surely contravening the rules of the pool.Where are the staff I wondered?
Lunch was ok at 2.15pm then back to the relaxation room before our treatments.The hotel really does need to invest in some soundproofing as all the screams and noise from the pool area is quite disconcerting when trying to relax.Drinks on offer in the Relaxation room but no glasses available,I had to go and get my own from the lunch area.The treatments were superb and full marks to Jodi and Leanne for their very attention to detail.Overall for the money paid we had a good day but it would have been vastly disappointing had we paid the going rate.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Iain S
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Guests

Thank you for your valued feedback following your Spa experience last month. I am sorry to read of the disappointment encountered and would assure you that I have spoken to the relative managers to improve the consistency of our quality and service offered. As you will acknowledge, the Spa and Leisure Suite are very busy areas and are scheduled on our Refurbishment Programme for improvements and development.

I am sorry the changing facilities within the Spa were not offered to you and your presence in the Leisure Suite was registered as you had booked Spa Treatments, covering the Health & Safety elements of your visit. I apologise for the cold temperature of the Hydrotherapy pool, but there must have been a misunderstanding regarding the cold shower you used. This shower is specifically available for guests who have enjoyed the steam or sauna room and are then re-entering the main pool. The cold sharp “shock” is to refresh and cleanse the body after the intense heat of the steam and sauna rooms. The requirement to shower prior to entering the main pool, would be to use the warm showers in the changing rooms. It is regrettable that this was not fully explained to you before you used the pool facilities.

Good to know that you enjoyed the treatments and your kind words have been passed on to Jodi and Leanne. We do appreciated your constructive comments and I do hope the negative elements of your experience will not preclude you from visiting us again. Do contact me directly when you wish to return and I should be pleased to personally arrange your reservations and take care of your booking.

Best wishes

Steve Ogden
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Our third stay at this wonderfully sited hotel.Staff were magnificent and could not do enough for us.Housekeeping very efficient.Very flexible chef who will cater for your needs.It was great to have a hands on general manager.Only fault was in our opinion too many supplements on menu options.Pool area and staff wonderful.Nice large car park.Have already booked for Christmas!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I stayed here with my partner for a two night break for our anniversary in early March. We booked through Secret Escapes and got a great discount.

The room was simply beautiful - a luxury estuary facing room on the second floor. Very spacious, huge comfy bed, large contemporary bathroom with a spa bath and separate walk in shower, Sky TV and the best part - a huge balcony overlooking the estuary with great views of the hills, Conwy and the castle. We both agreed the room was a better standard than some of the 5* hotels in London!

Breakfast was a good selection of hot and cold foods. We also dined in the restaurant on the first evening and really enjoyed the food, wine and atmosphere (apart from the moaning old man sat behind me who was demanding for the quiet background music to be turned off - seriously get a grip!!)

My only niggle would be the spa facilities, the indoor pool and Jacuzzi were both cold! I noticed people have mentioned this in other reviews, the Jacuzzi looked so inviting but after getting in and realising it was cold; I got back out after just a few minutes. If the temperature could just be turned up a few degrees this would be perfect!

Thank you to the general manager for our card and cupcakes for our anniversary - very nice touch! We had a lovely stay...We will be back!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a 'Luxury Estuary Facing' room and ask for the second floor for fab views!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katie-Lula-Bobs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deganwy
Bodysgallen Hall & Spa
St. George's Hotel
#14 of 59 in Llandudno
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,318 reviews
Ruthin Castle Hotel

Been to The Quay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!