“brilliant”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deganwy
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“brilliant”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

stayed here monday night can't fault it. lovely room nice staff & excellent breakfast.. nice views over the harbour. my grandson really enjoyed the swimming pool which was nice & clean & lovely & warm. thank you all

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gw54
Eloic M, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Gw54,Thank you very much for taking the time to write a lovely review, I am glad to read that you and your grandson have enjoyed your stay with us.

Eloic Montagnier - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (793)
Bolton
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Having had an excellent visit to this hotel in May 2013, I took my wife for another night there last week for her birthday. We booked a his and hers spa package which included a bottle of champagne, dinner, bed and breakfast and a spa treatment. We booked a suite to make it a bit more special. I have to say that the suite was amazing. It was vast and very modern in its decor. The view from the balcony was great. The champagne was also very nice ! All I would say is that I specifically asked for a suite on the first floor but when our room was allocated it was on the ground floor. When I queried this a first floor suite was found immediately. Why not just give me what I asked for first time ? Before we went for lunch we went to the gym and then into the pool/sauna. I have to say that the gym was ridiculously hot and it made any concerted excercise a real effort. I would also comment that the changing rooms are looking a bit tired and in need of a touch up perhaps.
After a nice bar lunch we went for the spa treatment. Thank goodness we had booked as it was absolutely full up which, on a Monday, surprised me. We both had a lovely massage. The spa itself is very nice indeed and I enjoyed it. Later on we had dinner in the Grill Room. It was excellent but, somewhat surprisingly, the menu had not changed at all in the 12 months since our last visit. Consequently, I had exactly the same dinner this time as I did last time. One would have thought that a menu change would be appropriate ? However, that said, the food was very nice as was breakfast the morning after.
This hotel is excellent and I thoroughly recommend it. My final comment is in relation to my wife's birthday. I specifically mentioned it when I booked it and when the waitress asked if we were there for a special reason we told her that it was for my wife's 40th. However, the hotel made no acknowledgement whatsoever of this. I found that odd. Surely, as part of customer care the hotel should have given her a card at the very least. Yaya Toure would not have stood for it ! Anyway, as I said, it's a truly great hotel and we had a great time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
SimonpHarding, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback following your recent stay with us here at the Quay. I am pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed the suite you were in the heavenly spa treatment and your bar lunch.

I am sorry to hear though you found the Gym to hot to exercise in , we have air-conditioning set at a constant 17 oC in the exercise room, I have asked my maintenance team to look into your comment . We also currently have a on-going programme to upgrade and improve our changing facilities in the Leisure club.

Our Grill Room Restaurant's menu changes four times a year,to ensure that we are using the best quality ingredients that the season has to offer. We do serve the same cuts meat from our Grill Bertha oven as last year.

Please pass on our belated birthday wishes to your wife from all the staff at the Quay and I do hope she is not thinking of putting in a transfer request to go to Paris St. Germain now like Yaya.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you both back to the Quay in the near future.

Many Thanks

Simon Harding

Deputy General Manager
Cumbria
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

As returning guests after a previous good experience this time we were disappointed as our otherwise good stay was spoiled by our experience at breakfast. The faults were far too many to list but it was verging on Fawlty Towers. There seemed to be a lack of staff and what staff there were could not cope. They seemed young and inexperienced and lacked effective supervision. Whatever the cause it was not what we expected. I doubt whether we will return.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank DlSCERNlNG_V0YAGER
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your valued feedback following your recent visit to the Quay Hotel. I am sorry to read your disappointment regarding your breakfast experience and do apologise for the shortfall. I have spoken to my Restaurant Manager and would assure you that the matter has been addressed to ensure consistency in the service we deliver.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and would ask you to contact me directly if you wished to return and I should be pleased to personally arrange your reservations and take care of your booking.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here with my husband for two nights. Firstly we went for afternoon tea which was delicious, beautiful home made sandwiches and cakes with a glass of champagne and a pot of tea, it was a lovely way to start our stay.Our room was incredibly comfy, spacious, modern and very clean.With breathtaking view over to Conwy Castle and Estuary! We enjoyed a very restful nights sleep.The Grill Room was a delight to visit, the service was exceptional and the food was delicious!
Would definitely go to the Quay hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Aggie,
thank you very much for your fantastic review! I am glad the you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We have stayed at the hotel as a family a few times and think it is just great, no complaints. This review is solely about the Restaurant. We ate here last week during half term and they were not over busy or full in the restaurant so there should of been no excuse for the bad service we received! We now have a place in Conwy, so need to stay at the hotel anymore but we would of still liked to use the restaurant, we will now not go back again. It had problems last time we visited, however we gave it another go. The service and staff are just lacking the quality experience and the manners in a so called 'award winning' restaurant. We don't mind paying the prices, but we do expect better if we are going to pay the expensive food and drink prices.
We had to send cold food back, over cooked food back, terrible side dishes (cauliflower cheese with no cauliflower!), keep asking for things that they forgot to bring with our food so waiting to eat your meal without extra sauces etc, children's meals late, again asked x3 times for a child's ice cream and then they served cold coffee! The list could go on.
Also check your bill if you do attempt to eat here as extras added on there!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Sdsm3
Eloic M, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback, following your recent stay at the Quay Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your family time at the Quay and I am just so sorry that the Restaurant experience did not reflect the standards encountered in all other aspect of your visit.

I would sincerely apologise for the disappointments and would confirm I have spoken with the relevant managers to ensure levels of quality and service are maintained and guest expectations are fulfilled and surpassed.

I do hope you will re-consider dining with us again, allowing us the opportunity to make recompense and offer you our “award winning” standards. When you have date in mind, do contact me personally so I can take care of your table reservation. I look forward to hearing from you soon and welcoming you back to the Quay Hotel for a much improved dining experience.

Kind regards

Eloic Montagnier
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We went on a Secret Escapes deal and usually that means staff are a little sniffy with us but from the moment we walked through the door, the service here was excellent. Very very helpful reception staff. Food was fantastic, Spa was lovely clean and again staff lovely.

Room Tip: Room with balcony overlooking the quay excellent
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Liz H,
Thank you very much for your comments following your stay at the Quay Hotel, I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights for my birthday, with my wife and 2 children. We stayed in one of the family rooms with a view of estuary, which is really pretty and gave us on the first night one of the most awesome sunsets I have ever seen. The hotel and staff were first class, the room was clean and modern - the staff were really friendly and really looked after us. Great swimming pool which is sensibly regulated for children and adult swimming time.
The hotel car park is a good size - so even when the hotel was full there were no issues getting a space.
Breakfast was good - lots of choice and the staff yet again were really accommodating.
Ideal place for a getaway from the rat race, you can take a short drive into Snowdon National park or drop over the hill to the beach! We really enjoyed our stay and will return.
Thank you Quay Hotel!

Room Tip: Make sure you have an estuary view - great view of the hills and castle.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
What a great review! I am glad that you enjoyed your 3 nights break with us. I think the sunset you are referring to is now on the main page of our website.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Eloic Montagnier - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deganwy
Bodysgallen Hall & Spa
St. George's Hotel
#15 of 60 in Llandudno
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,328 reviews
Ruthin Castle Hotel

Been to The Quay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!