“Old Boys'Reunion”

Cuisines: Asian, British, Brew Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I've been organising annual Reunion Dinners for my old school for the last 10. years. This year it was held at the Wainstones for the first time & was attended by 54 Old Boys of the school & 2 guests.
The staff were excellent, both at the planning stage for the event & the evening itself. I've had excellent feed back from my old school friends, verbally, in letters & in emails. It was by far the best venue we have had over the 10 years & we have already booked our next year's reunion there. Among the comments I've received from my old schoolmates are :" I think the food was the best we have had in recent years and our accommodation was very comfortable" (This was from an Old Boy who had travelled from Scotland & unlike those who lived locally stayed overnight.) . "I thought this year's was the most successful yet, with the new venue to everyone's liking."
I can strongly recommend the Wainstones for groups such as ours.(I have also heard very good reports from weddings held there.)

3  Thank alan s

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We used to visit this restaurant many years ago and it was very good so we thought we would try it for a change for Sunday lunch. We read previous reviews and there seemed to be mixed reviews - some good, some not so good. Our lunch was very similar. The Yorkshire puddings, cheeseboard and turkey were very nice. The pate was dry and didn't look or taste homemade, the beef and pork were average (we wondered if it was pre packed) and the roast potatoes tasted and looked deep fried. The children's meal was fine. The staff were really good! We had travelled 25 miles to visit the restaurant as are usual choice of restaurant was fully booked. The price was high compared to our usual choice of venue (£1.50p a head more at the wainstones )and the surroundings were not as nice. Rather disappointed.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

For me the most important thing is that the bed is comfortable. That, and a good wifi connection. Everything else is secondary. Sadly, the hotel failed on both accounts. The bed was incredibly hard (my son preferred to sleep on an air bed in a tent in my mother's garden - really!) and I am still suffering. And, there was no wifi in the room. This is a shame as the staff were very friendly. Please get some new beds!!!!

Reviewed 24 June 2013

If the staff were nice or at least half nice the bad and dated hotel/room/decor wct could of been half excused but as a family run buisness the family need to hve a sit down and discuss been polite and speaking to people properly!! A young girl with dark hair(maybe the daughter??) had obe of tge worse attitudes i have ever witnessed! Every thing seemed hard work for her and every answer came with a pulled face and certain tone,not good at all!! Now £89 for a room???!!!!! Omg!!!! It was the stickiest,stuffiest room ever!! Lumps and bumps all over the floor!(like all over the hotel) abd the carpet was bordering on thred bear!! I would never return back(unless again invited to a wedding and had no choice) and would defo never ever stay over again! Terrible atmosphere,horrid hotel! Sorry!
P.s i dont usually write reviews but felt really strongly about this!)

Reviewed 14 May 2013

Having been to the Wainstones several times over the years, I would have to say that currently, the food is expensive for what you get. We had Sunday lunch there and the portions were on the small side and they seem to think that shoving thick chunks of unappetising white bread on the table will make up for the lack of food on the plate. It cost almost £10 for vegetarian pasta - I think the chef must have left £8 worth in his pan! Service was very good, staff were polite, but very little choice for veggies.