“Friendly hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Broughton
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Friendly hotel”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed at Wainstones Hotel for four nights recently and found it a very friendly hotel. The staff were very helpful and our room, although rather small, was spotlessly clean and comfortable. The decor is not contemporary. The breakfasts were very good; I had the omelette and my partner had the kippers which he said were delicious. Great Broughton has two pubs and we ate twice at the Bay Horse which is fabulous. We also ate at the Black Swan in Kirkby which is in the next village (10 minute walk) and this too was really lovely and a bit cheaper.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I wouldn't normally write reviews (just read them) I was a guest at a wedding held at the hotel and stayed for two nights. As I learned while up here in the north " The place is class!" The staff we very accommodating and attentive. The room I stayed in was small but very clean with all the facilities one would expect. I would think that given it's an historic building that the room sizes couldn't be changed anyway. In fact this heritage setting was one of the things that made the wedding and dining afterwards so wonderful. To the staff - well done and thanks for great weekend - you're all class!

• Stayed June 2013
London
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We stayed at The Wainstones Hotel while walking the Coast to Coast. We phoned ahead and were picked up from the car park at Clay Bank very promptly by a friendly lady. When we arrived at the hotel we were quite wet and, although they were also catering for a wedding at the time, the staff couldn't have been more helpful. They tumble dried some of our wet things and hung the rest up to dry. They also gave us newspaper for our boots and then took them to the drying room. Our room was very well equipped and clean with some fruit provided as well as the usual tea, coffee and biscuits which was a nice touch. There was plenty of hot water for a long soak in the bath and the bed was comfortable. We ate at the hotel in the evening and the staff were very friendly and obliging and the food was really nice. The breakfast was good as were the packed lunches which included sandwiches with tasty fillilngs. We were then taken back to Clay Bank at a time which we had arranged the previous evening. All in all it was a very pleasant stay mainly because everyone there was so nice and we would definitely go back there again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gill2001c
Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

We popped in on spec at lunchtime in search of a snack and were not disappointed. There was a really interesting sandwich and baguette menu, and our group ordered prawn and crayfish with lemon mayo, spicy chicken and bacon with cucumber and mint, and Brie and grape. They were all really good and served with salad, home made coleslaw and loads and loads of proper chips. Really good value at £4-£5 each. Also ordered a side of onion rings, and we agreed they were the best we had ever tasted.
The lunchtime menu at £10 for two courses looked really good value and was popular. Couple sat at the next table were regulars and said the food is consistently good and interesting. Puddings were all homemade and generous portions.
We would come again and try the lunch menu without a doubt. A good stopping off point if you are on your way to or from the high moors.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

I travel all over the UK and Europe, I had an important business meeting in Teeside and needed to drive for 5.5 hours the day before so that I was fresh in the morning, I have become a little disenchanted with Premier Inn recently to went on to the web and found the Wainstones Hotel. The web site looked ok so I phoned up and stressed that wireless Internet was a must to prepare, I was told that that this was a free of charge facility, this was not the case, I was told that the Internet hub wire worked in the room, I changed rooms twice and it didn't work in either.

The room was shabby, as were the fixtures and fittings, the shower took ages to start and when it did work it sounded like a jet engine, the bed sloped towards the headboard and was lumpy, the quilt felt very thin, I would never stay here again, and the fact that they tried to charge me £79.00.......yes that was £79.00 was laughable, I refused to pay this amount and ended up paying £59 which was still £10 more than it was worth....the breakfast was good!!!

Stayed May 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

The staff were all very helpful and the rooms were clean with lots of storage space but for the price we paid the decor was rather dated and shabby. We stayed in a twin room with another bed squeezed in which left very little room for us to move about and it was very hot and stuffy. I have stayed in b&b in the area which was much nicer and 1/3 of the price. Also woken up early by deliveries to the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Nestling in the Cleveland Hills betwixt Industrial Teesside and the North Yorkshire Moors Great Broughton is a delightful throwback to another era, with its ironstone cottages and delightful country retreats. The village still supports three pubs/Hotels of which the Wainstones is one. Externally it exudes all of the charm one might hope for as a traditional and large Hostelry nestling in its own grounds near the centre of the village.
Alas upon entering the Hotel the warm and cosy image disappears in a pop of disillusion like a child watching as the newly created bubbles perish and the magic fades.
The Hotel is indeed a throwback, not to the cosy yesteryear of James Cook or even Bolckow and Vaughan but to a more recent era, not quite so evocative. The Hotel is a late 1970's time warp with fading patterned carpets, and a dingy tatty interior of cheap wood and Formica.
Progressing from the Public bar to the reception one passed through a series of equally unedifying empty rooms.
The Bedroom is smallish and tatty with flowered curtains and a down at heel feel. The bathroom consisted of a flimsy shower cubicle with a broken bit of plastic where a soap holder once was and a toilet roll holder clinging to life at an acute angle on the wall. That horrible depressing mist descended as I realised I'd have to put up with yet another shoddy offering from a business charging premium prices for a simply awful product.
Ah well never mind, perhaps the Dinner, served in the bar despite several other (though even more depressing) options would raise one's spirits.
The friendly barman recommended a local Ale (which was good) and I took a menu. I ordered a local black pudding starter which was excellent and things were looking up. I had ordered a steak and asked for it come with just salad as I did not want chips or potatoes. When it arrived the Dementors (see Harry Potter) returned. I had a steak, mushrooms, - so far so good, a bit of garnish and a hole where the chips might have been. I was flabbergasted by the miserly paucity of the dish before me. Where the hell is people's sense of decency and fairness, let alone business sense? Did the idiot Chef or Manager really think anyone would ever return when treated so shoddily? The evening was now irrevocably spoiled. I drank my smallish (though I ordered and later paid for a large) glass of wine, ate a passable steak without relish and returned to the Noddy Holder suite.
Breakfast in an equally dingy room with flakes of paint from the wall adorning the carpet (can't have been hoovered in weeks) was no great shakes, though again the lady serving was pleasant.
The only modern and/or contemporary thing I encountered was the bill which unlike the wine was uncommonly large for such a pitiful experience. As I looked in my rear view mirror upon exit it struck me that this is the only way to view this particular excuse of a business. Avoid at all costs if you have any expectation whatsoever of your stay.

Room Tip: Find it in another Hotel