“Not great”
Review of Black Olive

Black Olive
Ranked #32 of 60 Restaurants in Yarm
Price range: US$9 - US$39
Description: The Black Olive offers a first class dining and drinking experience within a luxurious mix of eclectic and contemporary decor.
Reviewed 22 June 2018

Booked a table for 3 for lunch on a groupon voucher. We were the only people in the restaurant, waiter very personable. Food took a long time to arrive, around 40 minutes, would hate to think how long you have to wait when the restaurant is busy. Food was ok but not fantastic, I ordered the pan fried chicken which was supposed to be served with dauphinoise potatoes and instead I got boiled potatoes in their skins. I didn't complain as I didn't have time to wait but I was disappointed. We were given free deserts as our booking was originally for Wednesday evening but had a call on Tuesday to cancel the booking as they were going to be closed on the Wednesday with no real explanation why, this was really disappointing as it was a celebration for the end of my son's A level exams, needless to say so he wasn't disappointed we then had to book another restaurant which meant we had to spend more money we hadn't intended to. The deserts were really poor and if I had had to pay for them I would have sent them back. I didn't complain as they were free of charge, needless to say I won't be rushing back.

Hi Cazboe

I am very sorry to hear about your recent experience at Black Olive.

Please could you send me an email so that I can look into this in more detail for you.
james@black-olive.co.uk

Reviewed 21 June 2018

Although we booked through a Groupon Deal, and therefore had a relatively cheap main course, the quality of the meal was pretty bad for the price paid.

We were the first customers in at 7 pm and got our starters at just before 8pm. The waitress was pleasant but managed to get my wife’s main course order wrong - the correct order arrived quickly. My starter was scallops with black pudding. The meal was not particularly hot with the scallops tasteless (and ‘burnt’ at the edges), on soggy black pudding slices. The ‘A la Carte’ menu looks good and expensive (which I would not mind if the quality matched the price tag). For my starter at £10.95, I expected a lot better! My wife’s main course “pan fried chicken” read well, but again was not up to standard - the red wine jus, was a tasteless gravy that swamped the plate.

All in all this was a very poor experience and not up to expectations, given the A La Carte Menu. There are plenty alternative good food options in the vicinity. It is not a surprise that they are looking for Chefs (on FaceBook)?

Hi

I ma very sorry to hear about your experience on this occasion.
This does sound out of character for Black Olive as the standard is usually very high.

Please could you drop me an email and I will look into this- james@black-olive.co.uk

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

Visited with a few friends. First impressions were good well designed and decorated place but lacked any atmosphere due to lack of people. One nice attentive waiteress another less so and borderline rude. Nice meal, couldn’t complain about the quality of the food however a little disappointing that once you had finished eating you were unable to order any more drinks and perhaps all staff should be made aware of this as one took our drinks order after a long wait after we had eaten only for the other one to return to say we couldn’t have them as we had finished eating.

Hi Proud

I am very sorry to hear this.
We are waiting to hear back for our bar licence so hopefully this will be resolved very soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

I hadn't heard of the Black Olive in Yarm until I saw it on the groupon site so we decided to buy the voucher and give it a try. We went for evening meal and it was really good as you could choose anything from the menu and just pay the difference from the groupon deal. The food was excellent and the staff were very friendly, Nathan served us and he made me a great cocktail which wasn't even on the menu. Dave the chef came out to talk to us because my husbands choice of food was not available but he suggested a great alternative which he was more than happy with. Overall it was a lovely meal with friendly staff so we will definitely go back.

Hi Beverley W

Thank you for your 5 star review.

I am very pleased that the chef managed to offer an alternative that as suitable and to hear that you both had a lovely meal.
I will pass on your kind words to Nathan and Dave.

Reviewed 18 June 2018

Booked with a Groupon deal for 5.30 tea on Saturday evening for 4 adults and 1 child. We had the chicken dish from the a la carte and my daughter and husband had chicken parmesan. All the food was delicious even the childrens pasta dish and the parmesans were huge. Drinks were reasonably priced and all staff were very pleasant and helpful. Will certainly try this place again there was a very good choice of menu. Was exceptional value with the deal.

Hi Evie&bw

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased that you had a lovely time at Black Olive.
We hope to see you again soon!