“A bargain for breakfast”
Review of Starters - CLOSED

Starters
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The service is not terribly welcoming, but the breakfast is extremely good value for money. It's served until 12 midday and I had a big plate of scrambled eggs on toast with a large cup of proper coffee for £3.50. Can't go wrong for that price!

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Went here for a friend's party early lunch before few drinks in Yarm. The food isn't the problem here, it isn't fantastic but it is ok for the price. The service on the other hand is diabolical ! The waiting staff are at best just disinterested, waited forever for finished plates to be taken away and although surrounded by an array of empty glasses on our table not once did anyone ask if we wanted another drink from the bar never mind clear any away. The barmaid made up the wrong drink when asked for the same again and then argued that she was right - she wasn't we know what we ordered ! Some things can be excused in a busy restrant but most of the tables were empty they really only had us to look after plus 2/3 other tables . We would have stayed for dessert but decided against it we would have had more drinks but decided against that also.
Some staff training could possibly come in handy here starting with teaching the staff to smile and be friendly - I will tip a good waitress even if I didn't enjoy the food but I won't tip a miserably lazy one even if the food was great .

2  Thank sanjiders
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Yarm is rapidly becoming one of my favourite places to visit, with so many interesting shops, cafes (including some high class restaurants) and pretty buildings.
And what elegant ones approaching the town, and passing by the river.
The window of Starters grabbed my attention on the very summery day of my most recent visit and we weren't disappointed by its interior.
OK, the prices are higher than some but the presentation of all of the food as pretty nigh perfect.
Perhaps the service was a tad slow but the wait was well worth while.
The coffee was perfect-10 out of 10 (and I'm a hard marker) so we will return. Oh yes.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

This chain does seem to have more popularity than it deserves I feel based on my visits to the various restaurants in Teesside.

I have never opted for this restaurant out of choice, more due to other places nearby being full (which might give you a clue) but I have made 3 visits in total and each time I have left underwhelmed and slightly wishing I had gone for supermarket sandwiches for more flavour.

Everything is cooked well and presented in an okay manner; it is just simply bland. The mini parmo was my last experience and there was just no taste present - maybe a change in kitchen staff is required?

Service was okay, they did the correct things at the correct time but again nothing above and beyond basic expectations.

1  Thank Hannahpianaa
Reviewed 4 August 2014

What a bad experience we had whilst visiting with a friend from down south. We waited an exceptionally long time for our drinks and it was an hour before our food arrived. The service was terrible but when the food did arrive it was really good. We have been to starters many times but will not be returning in a hurry as this was an unacceptable amount of time to wait especially when the guy in charge was not particularly concerned about it.