The Old Mill Bed & Breakfast
Best Western Parkmore Hotel(Stockton-on-Tees)
US$137
Metro Inns Teesside(Stockton-on-Tees)
US$38
US$89
PremierInn.com
All reviewsold millhot tubon arrivalthe pubthe ownerb blong tablelovely placewood storecomplimentary drinksfull englishmain buildingwould stay againlovely areamaking us feelprevious reviewslovely touch
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This was a new experience for us staying in an apartment we have to say it was very enjoyable, comfortable and spacious. We had the option of doing our own thing but also of going to the the Old Mill for breakfast on 2 occasions which was good quality. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. Where we stayed there is a Tesco's 2 minuates away and a Good Pub serving good quality food just a stones throw away from there. There is also an 8 minute drive to Yarm High Street which is interesting to visit but the Parking in Yarm is difficult. (Disc Only). The apartment we stayed in was off the main road so it was quite no revelers walking past nor a constant flow of traffic.

Room Tip: There is more to the Old Mill it's not just B&B, there are many apartments and a cottage.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have just spent 1 night in the room known as the "Woodshed" and found it very pleasant and comfortable. There are some quite poor reviews about this b&b, but I can only speak as I find and my room was spotlessly clean with nice large towels in the shower room (no bath, but personally I prefer a shower). The owners were very friendly and the young lad on reception was very helpful.
There is a nice pub about 2 minutes walk away, which I didn't use but I understand does good food. As I was visiting a friend we ate in Yarm (the Muse restaurant, great!). I got a taxi from Yarm to the Old Mill which was £5.80.
Of course, I don't know what all the rooms are like, but did see inside the one called the "Barn",which looked much bigger than the "Woodshed" and had a sofa.
The only thing I thought would have improved my stay would have been to have thicker pillows,but nevertheless I had a good nights sleep as it was nice and quiet. The thing to remember is that this is a 4* b&b not 4* hotel, which is reflected in the price. I paid £60. I didn't take breakfast so cannot comment on that. I am quite fussy and have travelled a lot staying in all types of hotels & b&bs, and think that the Old Mill offers good value. I shall stay again when in Yarm. Another point to remember that there is little accommodation in Yarm town centre, most is a bit out.

Room Tip: ask for one of the modern rooms at the front.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2013

The Old Mill turned out to be one of those places you should have stayed far away from! Warn down and neclected are the key words. Not to mention dirty. All over, the cleaning was quite bad. Spider webs, dirt and hair on the floor. tables, sofa ect. was dirty. Furniture was warn and with holes in them. Curtains coming loose and hanging. The smell in the toilet was terrible due to some bad plumbing. The only towel was very small. Plumping in sink and shower loose, and water squirting all over. The only bench outside in the quite nice garden, was falling apart. There was no way of sleeping with an open window, only the door. The madras was very warn and you could feel the springs in your back. There were air fresheners, 3, in the room and bath ( Imagine why) In the nice B&B's they put flowers instead. This place bears witness of someone who is just tired of dealing with guests.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Tartiflette0450
Reviewed 11 August 2013

After looking online at the website and seeing the description of "Luxury Apartments" and photo's of what looks a modern comfortable apartment I decided to book for a two night break for a friends wedding. We arrived at around 8pm on the friday tired and hungry and was given directions to the apartment, two min walk from the b&b, as it was dark when we arrived we didnt take much notice of our surroundings and instead went straight in. Upon entering we initially thought it was nice but very basic, not modern or luxury at all.
In the hallway was a wardrobe/hanger, an ironing board & iron, hoover, z-bed, mop, Xmas decorations and some other boxes, which we thought should really be in a cupboard out of sight. We then popped straight out to the co-op to get some things to make some tea as we were all hungry from the drive.
When we got back to the apartment we went upstairs to make some food. The first thing we noticed in the lounge was just how small the tv was, not at all like the one in the photo's. But it wasnt an issue, we wasnt there to watch tv. I then started to check in the drawers in the kitchen for the utensils i would need to cook tea. There was 3 of us staying and its advertised as being for max 5 people, yet there was only 2 glasses, 2 butter knives, and a very small collection of other cutlery and cooking utensils consisting of a fish slice and a ladel!!!!! This is a self catering apartment yet there is very little tools for catering for yourself!!!!! I had one small sharp knive and quite frankly cooking tea and breakfast the next morning was more like a boy scout challenge than a luxury apartment experience!
We then decided to go to bed, when we got to our rooms we started to notice things, first thing that struck us was there were NO curtains or blinds, just a small see through voil at the window. This straight away concerned us as we were unsure how many passers by there may be, but we decided to just get on with the stay. The next thing we noticed was the pillows were as thin as paper and there was only one each with no spares, there was a stool as a bed side table, one mirror for us all and no lamps, meaning having to guide my husband through the dark to the bed!
Just as we were getting into bed our friend ran out of the bathroom screeching, there was the biggest slug ive ever seen sat on the toilet seat!!!!! Not anything ive ever experienced before?!?
We went to bed deciding we would just wait till the morning to pass anymore judgement.

The next day we woke at about 5am due to the sun beaming into to room filling it with light! Upon looking out the bedroom window we noticed a huge shed/building had been built less than a meter away from the window, not a great view, and in fact someone had left their mug on the outside window sill, comforting when you dont have curtains!
I went for a shower (which was an experience in itself as the shower is positioned so that it goes completely over your head and to have a shower you had to hold the head in your hand!) and when i got out I was drying myself, naked, looked up and there was a man sat on the roof of the building opposite doing work to the roof, and as there was only voile on the window and the bottom panel frosted I could cleary see him through the top panel, as you can imagine I ran out of the bathroom in blind panic!! We decided as we had to get to the wedding we would speak to the manager at breakfast the next day and air our concerns.

This apartment was anything BUT luxury!!!! But was very clean and spacious.
We went for breakfast the next morning and got a lovely welcome and had a really nice full english breakfast. There was no one at reception so we went to find someone when we were checking out to explain our concerns.
I spoke to what I guess was the B&B owner, I explained that we had stopped in the Chapel and he straight away apologised for the building behind, to which i then explained about the shower incident. He did not seem concerned and said a) I should complain to the local council and b) he wasnt to know that he was going to be out doing work on his roof (then re-itterated by a cleaner!!) to which i responded yes I apprieciate that but if they had blinds it wouldnt be an issue! I then went on to explain all of the other issues at the apartment giving the view that if those things were changed it could be a lovely apartment, he said he took my advice on but then went on to make excuse after excuse about the reasons the apartment was in such a poor state. Mainly blaming it on other people stealing things and trashing the apartment, which he says happens 'every week' and every week he re-stocks it and buys new things! When i aired my views that surely this wasnt the case he responded 'you dont own a b&b, you dont know'!!! and 'people like you, well not you personally, come and wreck the place' clearly he did mean people like us! People like us in our 30's, professionals, married and with children!!!! He left me quite gobsmaked by the end of the conversation as instead of re-assuring us and thanking us for the constructive critism he made me feel completely under valued as a paying customer and a little fobbed off with excuses!
We paid £200 for two nights, for the pleasure of staying in these luxury apartments! My advice to you is dont bother, stop in the actual b&b or the b&b next door, Yarm guest cottages B&B.
It really is a shame because it could be a lovely apartment, but since there are so many people that 'come and trash the place' the apartment has gone from luxury to very basic! And it doesnt sound like they will be changing that any time soon!

Room Tip: Not the Chapel Apartment!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MrsMoorehouse
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My husband was in the area on a business trip and wanted a change from the Travelodge / Premier Inn type of accommodation. The Old Mill was different: blink and you miss the narrow lane leading off the main road but when you do find it you are met with an unusual layout of gardens and buildings. The room was comfortable but I missed not having a bedside light and the housekeeping could have been better: there was only one carton of milk in the tray and the shower hose could have done with a good clean. But the breakfast - cooked almost in front of you - was superb. A huge choice of cereals, yogurts and fruits, and then the full English, fruit juice and freshly brewed coffee certainly filled me up for the day! That in itself will mean that if we are in the area again The Old Mill will be first on our list of places to stay. The recommended pub just down the road had a wide choice of meals.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business