“Charming and quaint”

Ranked #5 of 5 Yarm B&B and Inns
York, United Kingdom
“Charming and quaint”
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

This place is set back of the main road slightly so drive flow when you reach the Fox Covert of you will miss it,it's down the lane next to the Fox Covert.
Stayed in the new rooms next to the Old Mill and it was clean and modern.The room was quite warm though and if Im correct they are no windows only a French door and a back door as such and so I was a little uncomfortable sleeping with the door open as the place is close to a housing estate and it is right on a lane.On this subject I stayed during the week and it is really noisey as parents park in the pub next door and use the lane to walk the kids to school so my sleep in wasnt happening at 8.30 in the morning.Its an average place with the benefit of parking right outside your room and also being able to use the Fox Covert to eat and drink.Not a bad price but wouldn't really say its fantastic.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Cheshire
Reviewed 16 September 2013

No number of airfreshners are adequate to cover up the smell of damp in this room. Shower worked OK but sink tucked into corner, too small and without a plug so really only good for cleaning teeth. Bed comfortable, rest of the room OK apart from curtains hanging down. These room are NOT in any sense luxurious. We were pleasantly surprised by the food served in the pub ~200m down the lane. Tray baked salmon was deliciuos & perfectly cooked

1 Thank CheshireSue_W

Travellers are raving about these Yarm hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We were given the Woodshed room, it was ok for a one night stop over. Bed was clean but bathroom was tiny, my dentist has a larger sink to spit in! Impossible for a shave! The shower leaked and the lino floor was Breakfast was good, plenty of choice for the continental, but only strawberry yogurt & sliced white toasted, could expand on the bread selection!! However, we kept up all night by the couple in the room next door, the woman ranting at her husband all night, the walls are paper thin and we could hear everything, funny at first, but after a few hours & when we wanted to get to sleep - not so funny. Other guests had complained to reception but nothing was done, very disappointing. If we ever go back we will request a quiet room, and a bigger bathroom! Not worth what we paid, and breakfast was charged as an extra.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and a large bathroom
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This was a new experience for us staying in an apartment we have to say it was very enjoyable, comfortable and spacious. We had the option of doing our own thing but also of going to the the Old Mill for breakfast on 2 occasions which was good quality. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. Where we stayed there is a Tesco's 2 minuates away and a Good Pub serving good quality food just a stones throw away from there. There is also an 8 minute drive to Yarm High Street which is interesting to visit but the Parking in Yarm is difficult. (Disc Only). The apartment we stayed in was off the main road so it was quite no revelers walking past nor a constant flow of traffic.

Room Tip: There is more to the Old Mill it's not just B&B, there are many apartments and a cottage.
Llanymynech, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have just spent 1 night in the room known as the "Woodshed" and found it very pleasant and comfortable. There are some quite poor reviews about this b&b, but I can only speak as I find and my room was spotlessly clean with nice large towels in the shower room (no bath, but personally I prefer a shower). The owners were very friendly and the young lad on reception was very helpful.
There is a nice pub about 2 minutes walk away, which I didn't use but I understand does good food. As I was visiting a friend we ate in Yarm (the Muse restaurant, great!). I got a taxi from Yarm to the Old Mill which was £5.80.
Of course, I don't know what all the rooms are like, but did see inside the one called the "Barn",which looked much bigger than the "Woodshed" and had a sofa.
The only thing I thought would have improved my stay would have been to have thicker pillows,but nevertheless I had a good nights sleep as it was nice and quiet. The thing to remember is that this is a 4* b&b not 4* hotel, which is reflected in the price. I paid £60. I didn't take breakfast so cannot comment on that. I am quite fussy and have travelled a lot staying in all types of hotels & b&bs, and think that the Old Mill offers good value. I shall stay again when in Yarm. Another point to remember that there is little accommodation in Yarm town centre, most is a bit out.

Room Tip: ask for one of the modern rooms at the front.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Annecy, France
Reviewed 22 August 2013

The Old Mill turned out to be one of those places you should have stayed far away from! Warn down and neclected are the key words. Not to mention dirty. All over, the cleaning was quite bad. Spider webs, dirt and hair on the floor. tables, sofa ect. was dirty. Furniture was warn and with holes in them. Curtains coming loose and hanging. The smell in the toilet was terrible due to some bad plumbing. The only towel was very small. Plumping in sink and shower loose, and water squirting all over. The only bench outside in the quite nice garden, was falling apart. There was no way of sleeping with an open window, only the door. The madras was very warn and you could feel the springs in your back. There were air fresheners, 3, in the room and bath ( Imagine why) In the nice B&B's they put flowers instead. This place bears witness of someone who is just tired of dealing with guests.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Tartiflette0450
Nottinghamshire
Reviewed 11 August 2013

After looking online at the website and seeing the description of "Luxury Apartments" and photo's of what looks a modern comfortable apartment I decided to book for a two night break for a friends wedding. We arrived at around 8pm on the friday tired and hungry and was given directions to the apartment, two min walk from the b&b, as it was dark when we arrived we didnt take much notice of our surroundings and instead went straight in. Upon entering we initially thought it was nice but very basic, not modern or luxury at all.
In the hallway was a wardrobe/hanger, an ironing board & iron, hoover, z-bed, mop, Xmas decorations and some other boxes, which we thought should really be in a cupboard out of sight. We then popped straight out to the co-op to get some things to make some tea as we were all hungry from the drive.
When we got back to the apartment we went upstairs to make some food. The first thing we noticed in the lounge was just how small the tv was, not at all like the one in the photo's. But it wasnt an issue, we wasnt there to watch tv. I then started to check in the drawers in the kitchen for the utensils i would need to cook tea. There was 3 of us staying and its advertised as being for max 5 people, yet there was only 2 glasses, 2 butter knives, and a very small collection of other cutlery and cooking utensils consisting of a fish slice and a ladel!!!!! This is a self catering apartment yet there is very little tools for catering for yourself!!!!! I had one small sharp knive and quite frankly cooking tea and breakfast the next morning was more like a boy scout challenge than a luxury apartment experience!
We then decided to go to bed, when we got to our rooms we started to notice things, first thing that struck us was there were NO curtains or blinds, just a small see through voil at the window. This straight away concerned us as we were unsure how many passers by there may be, but we decided to just get on with the stay. The next thing we noticed was the pillows were as thin as paper and there was only one each with no spares, there was a stool as a bed side table, one mirror for us all and no lamps, meaning having to guide my husband through the dark to the bed!
Just as we were getting into bed our friend ran out of the bathroom screeching, there was the biggest slug ive ever seen sat on the toilet seat!!!!! Not anything ive ever experienced before?!?
We went to bed deciding we would just wait till the morning to pass anymore judgement.

The next day we woke at about 5am due to the sun beaming into to room filling it with light! Upon looking out the bedroom window we noticed a huge shed/building had been built less than a meter away from the window, not a great view, and in fact someone had left their mug on the outside window sill, comforting when you dont have curtains!
I went for a shower (which was an experience in itself as the shower is positioned so that it goes completely over your head and to have a shower you had to hold the head in your hand!) and when i got out I was drying myself, naked, looked up and there was a man sat on the roof of the building opposite doing work to the roof, and as there was only voile on the window and the bottom panel frosted I could cleary see him through the top panel, as you can imagine I ran out of the bathroom in blind panic!! We decided as we had to get to the wedding we would speak to the manager at breakfast the next day and air our concerns.

This apartment was anything BUT luxury!!!! But was very clean and spacious.
We went for breakfast the next morning and got a lovely welcome and had a really nice full english breakfast. There was no one at reception so we went to find someone when we were checking out to explain our concerns.
I spoke to what I guess was the B&B owner, I explained that we had stopped in the Chapel and he straight away apologised for the building behind, to which i then explained about the shower incident. He did not seem concerned and said a) I should complain to the local council and b) he wasnt to know that he was going to be out doing work on his roof (then re-itterated by a cleaner!!) to which i responded yes I apprieciate that but if they had blinds it wouldnt be an issue! I then went on to explain all of the other issues at the apartment giving the view that if those things were changed it could be a lovely apartment, he said he took my advice on but then went on to make excuse after excuse about the reasons the apartment was in such a poor state. Mainly blaming it on other people stealing things and trashing the apartment, which he says happens 'every week' and every week he re-stocks it and buys new things! When i aired my views that surely this wasnt the case he responded 'you dont own a b&b, you dont know'!!! and 'people like you, well not you personally, come and wreck the place' clearly he did mean people like us! People like us in our 30's, professionals, married and with children!!!! He left me quite gobsmaked by the end of the conversation as instead of re-assuring us and thanking us for the constructive critism he made me feel completely under valued as a paying customer and a little fobbed off with excuses!
We paid £200 for two nights, for the pleasure of staying in these luxury apartments! My advice to you is dont bother, stop in the actual b&b or the b&b next door, Yarm guest cottages B&B.
It really is a shame because it could be a lovely apartment, but since there are so many people that 'come and trash the place' the apartment has gone from luxury to very basic! And it doesnt sound like they will be changing that any time soon!

Room Tip: Not the Chapel Apartment!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MrsMoorehouse
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarm
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#13 of 21 in Darlington
Crathorne Hall Hotel
Crathorne Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crathorne
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees West Hotel
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees Wes...
#4 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees
Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge
Best Western Parkmore Hotel
Best Western Parkmore Hotel
#6 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees
Chapters Hotel and Restaurant

Been to The Old Mill Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!