“wonderful and so relaxing”

Gisborough Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guisborough
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in room 123 in May and loved every minute. The room is above the private dining room and overlooks the terrace. It was very comfortable, beautifully furnished, well kept, spotlessly clean and above all quiet.The staff as usual were excellent. Didn't eat in the restaurant as we were disappointed with the meals and service last year however we had breakfast each day which was well cooked, hot and superbly delivered (we opted for room service as the service in the restaurant can be slow). One bonus was free wi fi in the public areas, we could even get it in the bedroom due to it's location. Thanks to all the staff for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trisha11edin
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Dear trisha11edin

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor, I am delighted that you had a wonderful and relaxing short break with us.

I am disappointed that you did not eat in Chaloner’s Restaurant, we have enjoyed 2 AA Rosettes for 2-years now and the comments regarding the quality of the food are generally excellent. I hope that on your next visit that you enjoy the food, service and ambience of Chaloner’s.

We hope that you return soon.

There are newer reviews for Gisborough Hall Hotel

Reviewed 13 June 2013

We stayed here for three nights to celebrate our wedding anniversary and could not have chosen better.
The hotel itself is a very old building with a more modern extension but unlike other places we have stayed this was done in a reasonably sympathetic manner externally and very nicely on the inside.
The whole hotel is beautifully kept, food was fantastic and the staff were amongst the best we have found anywhere we have stayed. The fact they were all local and had knowledge and passion for the area certainly helped. Many Scottish hotels could take note of this!

We cycled over 100miles around the area and were surprised at how lovely it was.

All in all we will be back!

1  Thank aebruce

Dear aebruce

Firstly may I wish you “happy anniversary”, I am delighted you chose to celebrate with us.
It seems you had a marvelous time exploring the beauty of the North York moors, woodland and coastline that surrounds Gisborough Hall, and thank you for the lovely comments regarding the team at the Hall.

We look forward to you returning in the future.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Just returned from a three night stay in the Woodlands wing. Reasonable room with spacious bathroom. Unfortunaly, the extractor fan stayed on each and every night, despite our being assured on three separate occasions that it would be disconnected at night. This really took the edge off our stay and we did not sleep as well as expected.

The location and all the staff are lovely. Food was also good, although we found the drinks very expensive. We had the cheapest bottle of wine on the short wine list in the G Bar Bistro (£18.95 to £30.95) - a bottle of the Italian red which was poor.
On the drinks prices alone we decided to dine out after the first night.
Why do many hotels charge probably some 300% on normal retail? - it drives people away. We would happily have paid £10-£12 for everyday house wine as we recognise that the mark-up covers service costs, storage etc and it keeps you on the premises, but this was poor even by supermarket standards.
Pity, as we may have enjoyed our other evenings in the hotel with another drink or two later, also...

Breakfast was excellent and again we could not fault the staff.

A short break ruined by the fan and also the drinks prices, unfortunately.

We did point out that the fan had remained on again when we checked out and were given a deduction of £3.20 (a free pint) as an act of goodwill. That was volunteered, I suppose, as we are not complainers by nature and we did not quibble and even thanked them!
Off to the Canaries in two weeks..

1  Thank BrianBStoke_on_Trent

Dear BrianBStoke_on_Trent
Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay at the hotel.

As responded to in a previous review, and as you have pointed out, wine prices are in line with all quality 4* hotels in the area, where you are paying for service, ambience and surroundings. Prices are always under review; tomorrow I am taking my recently appointed Operations Manager on a visit to our competition where one of our objectives is to review their pricing.

I am very concerned about the fan disturbing your sleep, unfortunately these fans are not indepently controlled from the bedroom and each fan extracts 6 rooms in series. I would be extremely grateful if you could advise me which room you stayed in: gm.gisboroughhall@macdonald-hotels.co.uk
I have asked my maintenance engineer to review and look at the possibility of fitting time clocks to ensure the fans are off between 10pm – 6am

I do hope that you will return in the future and find everything to your satisfaction, enjoy your trip to the Canaries.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

We have stayed at Gisborough hall hotel many times and they have never let us down. We have stayed for special occasions ie wedding anniversary. Birthday ,and recently took my sister and brother in law for their 40 th wedding anniversary and they loved it. We stay in the woodlands wing which is modern, but have also stayed in the older part of the hotel and we have never been disappointed. The food is always excellent.

Room Tip: The woodlands wing in very good.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank 481gillg

Dear 481gillg

Thank you for posting your review of Gisborough Hall on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you chose to celebrate your sister’s 40th wedding anniversary at the Hall.

I hope that you will return to celebrate many future events and enjoy our hospitality.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

My wife and I have stayed at four Macdonald hotels and have found them to be comfortable well-run hotels with good sized bedrooms, attractive public rooms, friendly helpful staff and decent food. The Gisborough Hall is no exception. The reason I have only given three stars is the same as that of an increasing number of Macdonald patrons who use trip advisor. Sorry Macdonalds but your bar prices are extortionate. £16.40 for two regular-size glasses of run-of-the-mill wine is WAY over the top. We shall continue to use Macdonald hotels but if we want a drink it will in future be at the local pub.

Dear martiand45

Thank you for taking the time in posting your review. We are always pleased to receive feedback and I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your experience in this hotel along with three other hotels in the group.

As mentioned in a previous review, when buying a drink in the evening, you should be experiencing more than simply drinking. It is possible that our core service standards were not adhered to, if this were the case, I apologise, for you would not have experienced the true value.

Our wine pricing is comparative to all the quality 4* hotels in the area, it is not cheap, and represents the service standards, ambience and surroundings. The drinks/wine list should be offered showing all 15 wines we offer by the glass. Glass sizes from 125ml to 250ml, with prices starting from £3.75 for an Italian red or white wine served in 125ml glass.

Table service is offered to all guests, and if wine by the glass is ordered, the wine bottle should be shown to the customer and it is poured in front of them. Between 5pm-10pm, small dishes of smoked almonds, tomato grissini and olives are served to complement the drink.

Prices are always under review; indeed tomorrow I am taking a member of my team on a visit to our competition where one of our objectives is to review their pricing.

I hope that you will return to our hotels many times in the future for memorable visits.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

For my first wedding anniversary my husband treated me to a surprise weekend away to a mystery location. After over 3 hours driving we turned into to Gisborough Hall Hotel driveway and as it was dark the hotel was lit up beautifully! I was so excited and couldn't wait to see inside!
Upon entering the hotel we were greeted by a very friendly, helpful young man! He asked us how our journey was, if we would like a newspaper in the morning, would we like to make a dinner reservation for the following night and if we would like help with our bags to our room. We really couldn't fault the service on reception!
We stayed in Miss Bruce's Room which to my surprise had a bath as a feature at the bottom of bed. Unfortunately we forgot to pack bubble bath and unfortunately there wasn't any provided and after a call to reception they confirmed the hotel does not provide bubble bath which was a little disappointing but not a major problem as we bought some while we were out the next day. The room itself was clean and nicely presented. The decor was not to my tastes but still very nice. The bed was big and extremely comfortable and the room was nice and warm. The bathroom had a shower and was clean and fresh.
When we woke up the next morning we went for breakfast and it was wonderful. There was an array of cereals, fruit, pastries etc and cooked breakfasts which were cooked to perfection! We didn't need any lunch after starting the day with that!
As we were celebrating our first wedding anniversary we had booked into the 2AA Rosette awarded Chaloner's Restaurant on the saturday evening. We arrived at the restaurant and a very polite gentleman sat us down in the drawing room with a drink while we had a look at the menu and offered us some nibbles while we waited. After a little while the gentleman came to apologize for our wait. We ended up waiting 45 minutes past our booking time but to be honest we didn't really notice because we were having a lovely time in a wonderful atmosphere! When we were taken through to the restaurant we found the staff very professional and nothing was too much trouble! Our food was piping hot when it arrived and full of flavours. I would definitely like to visit your restaurant again.
On the sunday morning when we arrived to check out at reception the process was very quick and easy without any problems or queries and we were wished a safe journey home by the same gentleman who checked us in. I wish I had got his name to give him a special mention as I was really impressed with his customer service skills.
I would recommend the Gisborough Hall Hotel to anyone who is planning a special time away! A very beautiful hotel set in lovely grounds with very friendly and courteous staff.Thank you for a a very special stay at your wonderful hotel!
I would also like to mention that there is also plenty of things to see and do in the surrounding area. I would recommend the steam train journey to Whitby.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alison1519
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Dear Alison1519

Thank you for taking so much time and trouble in posting your review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at Gisborough Hall.

I am so pleased that you celebrated your wedding anniversary with us and that all aspects of your stay were special.

Your comments regarding the hotel, food, staff and local area were lovely to read, I do hope that both you and your husband return in the future to celebrate many occasions and anniversaries.

Best wishes

Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed in the Admirial Room very nice lovely big bed, the dinner was nice, breakfast average. Nice quiet location very close to Guisborough priory lovely for a night away for peace and quiet romantic break.

Room Tip: Executive double
1  Thank EMKC5

Dear EMKC5

Thank you for posting your comments onto Tripadvisor following your recent stay at Gisborough Hall.

I am delighted that you enjoyed a peaceful and romantic break with us; I hope that you will return soon.

Kim Yardley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Guisborough
Raithwaite Estate
#1 of 2 in Easington
Crathorne Hall Hotel
Crathorne Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crathorne

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!