“winter retreat”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pickering, United Kingdom
“winter retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Myself and my wife stayed for 1 night in November through a Secret Escapes offer. We have stayed at this hotel many times before and have always enjoyed our stays. This visit was no exception. We enjoyed a wonderful meal in the evening and the staff were brilliant including Emily, who was a new starter, and she was an absolute joy making us laugh loads while she served us in the restaurant. Breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice. We will definitely return in 2014.

• Stayed November 2013
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear beacon2010

It is lovely to read reviews from our loyal guests, I am so pleased that you found the food, service and comfort of the hotel to the standards that you have come to expect.

Emily will be delighted to hear your comments; we look forward to welcoming you back in 2014.

Kim Yardley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Polish first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

We spent three very pleasant days in north yorkshire and durham using gisborough hall as a base. the lovely old hotel was an oasis of quiet friendly food and warmth. the room was in the old part of the hotel it was warm cosy and clean, food was very good although the challoner was a bit stiff and starchy for us however the pheasant was superb, eat in the g plan bistro it is warm and friendly and the food is just as good.

Room Tip: I believe the rooms in the new wing are quieter but we stayed in the old part which is full of histo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
KimYardley, Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear tony B

Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor following your recent break with us at Gisborough Hall.

I am delighted that you had such a comfortable stay with us, we do make an ideal base to explore the North Yorkshire moors and coastline and the north east, Durham and Northumberland.

We are fortunate to have two dining options, the 2 rosette Chaloner’s Restaurant and the more informal G Bar and Bistro, I do hope that you will soon return.

Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our 50th birthdays. We arrived on the Saturday, checked in and then went to the Spa for a massage and then had an afternoon champagne tea. There was so much to eat and the champagne went down well.

The hotel staff were very friendly and knowledgeable about the area. There was so much choice for breakfast and the evening meals were first class. All the staff in the restaurant were so friendly and professional, especially Andy and Jess and nothing was too much trouble for them. They even arranged a little birthday surprise for my husband.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear steve b

Many happy returns to both of you!
I am absolutely delighted that you had an enjoyable and comfortable birthday treat staying at Gisborough Hall.
It was lovely reading your comments, Andy and Jess will both be thrilled to receive a mention.
I hope that you will return soon, to celebrate your 51st? or perhaps sooner.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a wedding and it was lovely, great big hall, friedly staff and great food. We stayed for a lovely leisurely breakfast and has the best breakfast I've had in ages. Lovely choice and lots of healthy stuff too. Maureen who served us was brilliant and very friendly :)

Stayed December 2013
Dear DJLJinnit

Thank you for posting such a lovely review of your recent stay at Gisborough Hall attending a wedding.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay; I will pass on your comments to Maureen.

Whitchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

Only stayed for one night and only had breakfast - which was excellent as was room. Difficult to provide any further constructive comment as visit was too short. Location is ideal to explore a most interesting area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear RFB2246

Thank you for posting your review following your 1-night stay at Gisborough Hall.
I hope that you will return? For a leisure break? As you have mentioned, our location is perfect for exploring the magnificent moors and stunning coast line.

Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

Executive-type country house hotels can be hit or miss affairs. Sometimes they live up to all the hype of “rustic and rural meets contemporary luxury”; at other times they are a complete disappointment – cramped, cold and draughty.

With a few minor exceptions, Gisborough Hall came into the former category. We had booked a two-night stay in a suite/executive room and this did not disappoint – spacious, clean, warm and comfortable and a four poster bed that provided a great night’s sleep.

At dinner we liked the subdued atmosphere of the restaurant and the cheerfulness and standard of service from the staff. The menu was a bit limited but the food was cooked to order and was generally superb, albeit spoiled by the fact that half of my (admittedly large) rib eye steak was full of grizzle and therefore inedible.

Breakfast too was a delight – table service and locally sourced food again made to order. We loved the porridge, which is presented in an attractive pot and accompanied by berries, nuts and butter as complementary side dishes - who says the English cannot make good porridge?
We found the staff generally very efficient and requests to reception – e.g. to replenish milk or provide more pillows – were dealt with politely and promptly.

Were it not for the following I would have given GH five stars.

At dinner I pointed out the inadequacies of the steak – the evidence was there on the plate – but no one came back to offer an explanation or, perhaps more pertinently, offer to make a modest goodwill reduction on my bill in recompense. Also, the “great hall” main lounge, though comfortably furnished, seemed not to have central heating to complement the log fire (or if there was heating it wasn’t performing very well). So, anyone to unable to grab a fireside seat (no chance), the place could seem “cold” in an abstract as well as literal sense. On the same subject, while our large room heated up remarkably quickly the en suite bathroom only had a heated towel rail. Therefore, this being November, the bathroom was uncomfortably cold – even when fully immersed in a hot bath.

Nevertheless, it’s unrealistic to expect total perfection and, on balance, Gisborough Hall provided a very rewarding short-break experience which one day we would like to repeat.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kenno1505
Dear AndrewSaint

Thank you for taking the time to post a very detailed review of your recent stay at Gisborough Hall. We value our reviews to use as a motivational or training aid.
I have had the opportunity to investigate your comments, there had been a stuck valve on one of the radiators in the hall, this has now been addressed.
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your steak; the eye of fat running through a rib eye can vary depending where the steak was cut, I am sorry that you found it excessive.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future,

Skipton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

Lovely picturesque hotel sadly let down by the food.

Stated fine dining but unfortunately not. Maybe I ordered poorly as my partner enjoyed her meal. The game terrine I had to saw through it was that hard and dry. Lamb main course didn't come pink but was tasty, but the cheesecake and sorbet was terrible, dry cheesecake and the sorbet was so bitter I couldn't eat it. Every course I commented but no one came back and spoke to me.

Following morning breakfast order was wrong, and others were being sent back also.

Did tell the staff on check out, who took a bottle of wine off my bill, but need to aim higher

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Mattbo77
Dear Mattbo77

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are not complacent about our standards and value all comments in order to maintain and improve.
I have passed on your comments to my chef who is collating all feedback from the menu so that he may change dishes if necessary.
I am very sorry that your stay was marred, I hope that if we ever get the opportunity to look after you in the future, that you will find great improvement.

Kim Yardley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guisborough
Raithwaite Estate
#1 of 2 in Easington
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club
#3 of 5 in Saltburn-by-the-Sea

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!