“Lovely Country House Hotel - disappointed spa was closed”

Gisborough Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guisborough
GreenLeadersSilver level
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely Country House Hotel - disappointed spa was closed”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Would have rated Gisborough Hall 5 stars Excellent.
Beautiful hotel and grounds, welcoming, clean, fresh and bright. Food well prepared and presented and very enjoyable.
However, we were very disappointed because the Revival Zone spa facilities were closed for refurbishment and staff were attending a training day. We chose Gisborough Hall because of the spa and only became aware of the unavailability when we asked to use the spa a few hours after checking in. Also it would help with the ambiance and relaxation in the main hall if staff could choose shoes that are quite on the lovely wooden floors.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
KimYardley, Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Daniel S
Thank you so much for your feedback, I am delighted to hear such positive comments regarding our hotel. However, I am so disappointed that you weren’t communicated too when you booked regarding our Revival zone being closed. This was planned months in advance for the training and roll out of our new product, Elemis. All departments were briefed, so this shouldn’t have been an issue, but clearly there has been a communication breakdown. I will be addressing this with our relevant managers to ensure this doesn’t happen again in future.
We do hope you have the chance to return to Gisborough hall and make use of our newly refurbished Revival zone. Please do contact the hotel directly for any queries.
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Terrible! Booked in on business. Was not able to get a table for 1 hour in the bar, when I did the starter took a further 30 mins to arrive! It was incredibly poor and massively over priced, after a further 20 mins of waiting for the main I decided to take it as room service. It arrived a further 20 mins later was a terrible chewy steak! The waiting staff told me openly that the restaurant was prioritised over the bar, but there was no space left in the restaurant..!

I spoke with other guests and they were all disappointed and on business. This hotel is completely missing a trick!

Prices were exorbitant and the quality of the food was terrible, the room was cold! I could not check out fast enough and would never ever stay again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LW12014
Dear LW12014
I am so sorry you have experienced such a bad stay with ourselves, I can assure you that we are deeply saddened by the poor service you encountered and all relevant departments have been addressed and action plans devised to ensure our standards do not drop again. We pride ourselves on our customer care and attention and clearly we have let you down. That night in question was an exceptionally busy evening but under no circumstances do we place the restaurant above the G bar and Bistro and I can only apologise for the waitress who told you that, as this is clearly wrong. In regards to your steak, we are currently in the process of reviewing our meat supplier as there have been some other comments on the quality too over the past few months , which we hope to iron out , due to our commitment to good food and good service. Our prices reflect other competitors of a similar rating and we regularly do competitor checks to make sure we are not pricing ourselves out of the market. However, we take on board all comments and will be re looking at our menus to ensure we are pricing ourselves correctly.
Please feel free to phone myself personally and I will be happy to discuss any of your comments.
Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Had a good weekend at this beautiful hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful and I was particularly grateful to Byron who helped me with my Dietary requirements and nothing was too much trouble. I would recommend this Hotel to anyone.

Dear Dwaite7

Thank you so much for your delightful comments regarding your stay the other week. I am glad you enjoyed your experience here and in particular singled out our Assistant Restaurant manager, Byron for his exceptional service with your dietary requirements and in general.

We very much hope you do return again and look forward to welcoming you back some day.

Whitley Bay
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband and myself have just visited Gisborough hall , we were totally looked after from the moment we stepped through the front door. Julie on reception and the gentleman who showed us to our room were very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful and nothing was too much trouble.The hotel is beautiful and absolutely spotless, the rooms are very tastefully decorated as are the lounges, bar and restaurant.This hotel ticks all the boxes, but a special recognition has to go to the members of staff, who were all welcoming, helpful, courteous and really professional , special mentions go to duty manager Fiona, Julie,Sarah and Byron and the gentleman who showed us to our room. Byron took our dinner order and answered any queries, he is very knowledgeable and helpful. The food was outstanding, totally worth every penny and the chefs are to be commended. The food is locally sourced and the chefs carefully put together dishes , we had scallops with crab meat and chorizo, which was sublime, followed by rib eye steak cooked to perfection, then a delightful olive oil chocolate cake with marmalade ice cream.The breakfast was just as good and cooked to order, which is always a bonus. The sausages were the best I have ever tasted and the staff replenished the continental food / juice the minute it was running low, teas coffee, toast everything plentiful.We strongly recommend this hotel, we were more than happy with the service we received, the measure of a good hotel is it`s staff and this hotel has the best staff. Congratulations to the hotel, for the 5 star treatment you provide for your guests.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Rachel C

It was a delight reading your review, particularly the pinpointing of particular members of the team: Byron, Fiona, Sarah and Julie, the man who took you to your bedroom I believe was Steve our weekend porter.
The team makes the hotel; the individuals you have mentioned by name are all passionate. I am also delighted that you enjoyed Chaloner’s Restaurant so much, the food and service. As you are well aware we were exceptionally busy on Saturday evening I am pleased we delivered.
Whitley Bay is close by; we hope that you will return on many future occasions.

Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This is a great hotel in a very picturesque setting. The building is beautiful,and tastefully and sympathetically decorated. The accommodation is comfortable, spacious and well appointed. The staff are extremely professional, knowledgeable about the hotel's history and the local area, courteous and attentive, and the welcome was very warm. The food is of a high standard, and is well cooked and beautifully presented. I would definitely return to this hotel, and would not hesitate to recommend it to other visitors to the area.

Dear Sue O

Thank you for posting this wonderful review of Gisborough Hall on Tripadvisor.
I am pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel; the accommodation, food and courtesy of the staff.
We would love you to recommend us to friends and family, and hope that you will soon return.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my son, as we parked outside the whole place was beautiful the huge building and the gardens, on arrival we were greeted by 2 lovely receptionist who were friendly and very professional, we had a standard twin and it was lovely, the breakfast was really nice, everything was very good about this stay, I will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Cypress12

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Gisborough Hall.
I am delighted that your stay was lovely and that you enjoyed all aspects of it including the hospitality of the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Newcastle
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Lovely swanky modern and old style. Fab wood burning fires all over and a peaceful atmosphere and cool bar with lovely food and great prices. All the staff are top notch. Would go back in a heart beat.......... cheers.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sunman06
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear sunman06

Thank you for your review that I received today, I am delighted that you had a fabulous time with us and enjoyed our food, ambience and hospitality.
I am hoping therefore that our rating of 1 is perhaps incorrect, especially as I noted your great comments and you scored our G Bar and Bistro 5?
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kim Yardley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guisborough
Raithwaite Estate
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club
#3 of 5 in Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Cross Keys By Good Night Inns

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!