“Gisborough Hall - a real Gem”

Gisborough Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guisborough
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Just returned today from a one night break at this lovely county house.
My husband booked this break for my birthday and I didn't know where we were staying until we arrived.
What a pleasant suprise I got. The hotel is in a beautiful location and is perfect for those looking for a quiet peaceful surrounding.
From the moment we arrive and checked in,the staff could not have been better. Nothing was to much trouble. We stay in hotel at lot and I have to say the staff here are by far the best we have encounterd. They were like a slight army and kept everything clean and tidy in public areas with minimum fuss.
The room was located in the Woodlands Wing and was very nice and spacious. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows.
We had to ring reception as we had a noise that sounded like a fan and it was disturbing us. James dealt with this problem in under 5 minutes. Steve also stood out as an excellent staff member and nothing was to much trouble for him.
A nice touch is the choice of ground coffee and fresh milk in your room.
We ate in the restaurant and the food was delicious. The sirloin steak was excellent.
Breakfast was a feast. They offered all the great classics from Scottish kippers to full English and continental breakfast.
Overall experience was excellent and we would certainly be returning in the future. This was booked via Travelzoo on a DBB deal.

Room Tip: We were in the Woodlands Wing which is the new part of the hotel. If you want more character then yo...
1  Thank Dorothy M
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Dorothy M

A belated happy birthday to you!

I am so pleased your husband chose to celebrate your birthday at |Gisborough Hall.

I am delighted that you found your stay to be so comfortable, from the fantastic staff who work here, the spacious rooms and the ambience and cuisine in the hotel.

I do hope you will soon return.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Lovely old house with splendid public rooms. We had a b & b with dinner deal which was excellent value. Spacious room, good dinner and breakfast. Perfect porridge and poached eggs. It was a pleasure to be there. It's a shame that health & safety regulates window openings to about 2 inches so rooms are stuffy. We didn't check the aircon as were there in early April and did not feel we needed it.

Room Tip: If you don't want a stuffy room perhaps investigate a ground floor room which probably does not...

Dear LambertCheshire

Thank you for your review of Gisborough Hall.

I am very happy that you had an excellent dinner bed and breakfast deal with us which really offered value for money.

I hope that we will see you at other times of the year.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I have tried to rate this under the restaurant section but can't locate the option.

As part of a business trip a party of seven arrived for a pre booked lunch - yes we were late but had telephoned to advise them that we were still coming

Told on a arrival by the waitress that it was an issue that we were late, which on seeing our reaction, she tried to laugh off as a joke - I am not sure it was.

Most of the patrons were seated at one end of the restaurant, which is where we were directed to a table set for us but with only six chairs. When the seventh arrived they had to ask another table to physically move up so that the chair could be positioned. This clearly disturbed their lunch - several minutes late their guest closest to us swapped with a more more junior member of the party to give himself more room.

We ordered soft drinks, which seemed to cause the lady problems, and it took an age for them to arrive. Then ordering mains - fairly easy 6 six steaks.

There was a longer than expected pause and when they arrived they had no idea who had what and seemed to forget that one of the party had something else.

Food was OK but not memorable, service was certainly forgettable.

A real pity the location looked very good and I was considering returning to stay during the summer, but given the service I don't think that I will bother

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Barry B

I am so sorry that you experienced both poor food and service at Gisborough Hall.

We are not complacent about our standards and value all comments in order to maintain and improve for future guests.

I am aware of your booking and when you dined, I have asked that my Restaurant Manager carefully investigates your comments and puts in place an action plan to avoid repetition.

Thank you for your comments, I hope that should we be fortunate in having you return in the future, that you will find the service to be at the level expected in this quality of hotel.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

After spotting this hotel on the way to a away rugby match at Guisborough with our son, myself and my husband thought it looked lovely so decided to try it one night, so pleased we did. We stayed here on Saturday 5th April and had a wonderful stay. We were in the Old Nursery Room, which was a great size with a lovely bathroom, the room was also cleaned to a very high standard. The service we received through out our stay was really good. We had drinks in the lounge area late afternoon which was very relaxing. We booked a table in the Bistro for the evening, the food and service were of a very good standard. The breakfast was also of a very good standard with plenty of choice and good service. There was a wedding on during our stay but we were never disturbed by any noise from the event. We found it to be a really relaxing night away, and hope to return in the future.

Dear Kaiser15

It is fantastic that you booked to stay with us after passing the hotel on the way to Guisborough Rugby Club!

I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us, and enjoyed our recently decorated Old Nursery.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the hospitality and the bistro and that you would return.

We look forward to that day.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I've been a regular visitor to this hotel as it's a relaxing area and great for hiking - I'm a travel writer so I find it a very good location for clear thought. I couldn't wait to book my relaxing break after a particular busy period at work, but I was hugely disappointed, mainly at the lack of thought used by staff.

I was placed in an area that was directly in the locality of your function room. I had to endure loud music on both Friday and Saturday night until 12am and a particularly vile band. It was awful and as we were early morning hikers, having no sleep ruined things a little - not quite the relaxing break I'd planned.

To top that, I was actually next door to what appeared to be the 'family room' and had a screaming child for 2 nights followed by a crying baby the third night - even though on the third night the hotel appeared to be quite empty - why on earth did I have to get the screaming child?!!

Is there anyway we can request no family rooms near to ours and housing AWAY from the function room? My friend didn't have any problems with the function as he was in a far area of the woodlands wing and it was quiet but he too was shocked when he came to my room and witnessed the volume of the music in this area of the wing. I was room 214. I hate noise which is why I chose your location. I assume room 213 is a room for families as there was a cot in there i noticed when they were cleaning.

When we arrived back from a particularly long hike we called into the bistro to grab an irish coffee, we were met with a particularly abrupt member of staff who assumed we were not residents (I assume by the way we were dressed) and when we asked about dinner demanded to know if we had a booking. We didn't, we just wanted a drink and were making enquiries about dinner to consider our options. We decided to book dinner but were told we'd have to wait until 2045 even though when we came down later the place was pretty quiet.

We spent some time in the bistro again the following day and it took so long to get served and one of the staff looked a bit put out. Also many were coming in looking for staff and wandering off again as there was no one around. One man even pushed open a staff only door as he was desperate to find someone having been waiting ages. When we ordered food and drinks it took forever to arrive.

On the third morning at breakfast, again I felt staff were not thinking about what they were doing and using discretion - we had a nice quiet area in a fairly quiet dining room to eat our breakfast then the waiter seated a rowdy party of 6 right beside us - even though the dining room was empty we were all squashed in a corner and had to endure rowdiness and mobile phones - was it really necessary to bunch people together given the low number of residents on monday morning?

I know they say you should raise concerns when there but I had driven 4 and a half hours to get there, was tired and could not face the possibility of having to pack up all my stuff and move rooms -plus the hotel was pretty busy on Friday/Saturday due to the wedding parties so its not guaranteed they could have accommodated me. You would think they could house all the wedding party together though near the noise as most will be at the function. I was expecting to be asked for feedback when checking out but the receptionist did not ask if I'd had a good stay - I was going to lodge my complaint then. Instead, I was so tired with all the sleepless nights with babies and function noise that I waited until I got home to write an email.

This used to be a good place but if you want peace and quiet its not the place to go as if there is a function on as there is a strong possibility you could be housed in the wing above the function area. I'm really disappointed and was certainly glad to catch up on sleep upon arriving home. The only positive is the bed was comfy, I'd say the room had been painted and they had a proper quilt on the bed this time - in the past its just been a brown blanket with a sheet which is a little off putting and not that comfortable or warm.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Forrestzzz

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I have also responded to you directly, as I have received your comments direct through our own website.

It is very sad to receive comments such as yours posted on the public domain, there is very little I can do to appease a situation that has been marred by poor service or noise, once the guest has departed and it has not been mentioned during their stay.

We generally utilise the first floor adjacent to our function room for guests attending events, it is rare that we have noise pollution on the second floor of the building. The noise from young children or babies crying at high volume would be heard next door in most hotels. We provide cots for babies on request in any hotel bedroom. However, when making reservations, the hotel can be contacted direct and particular rooms requested.

I will be speaking with my catering team regarding their behaviour when you returned from your hike; we welcome both hotel guests and non residents with equal passion.

I am desperately sorry your stay was marred; however wish you had mentioned your complaints during your 3-night stay to me or any one of my team, we could have then had the opportunity in resolving your issues. I have managed the hotel since opening 12-years ago, many of my team have been with me on this journey, it distresses us when a past guest is so unhappy.

I hope that should you return, you will find your stay with us most satisfactory.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed here as x3 couples for a Sunday night deal which included dinner and breakfast .
Location and the surroundings were great , fantastic old building set in well manicured grounds with lovely country views all around. Our room was spacious , spotless , modern and very comfortable. The bathroom looked brand new , sparkling tiles and probably the best shower I have ever been in ! Whoever designed the plumbing/ boiler system in this place should be knighted !
We spent a lot of time in the bar area and lounge , very spacious and comfortable. The staff were friendly and very attentive. Evening meal was ok but I feel that the meals were all a bit too over pretentious and lacked something at their attempt of fine dining . Our friend ordered carrot and orange soup which tasted like a bowl of foamy Sunny Delight . We all ate our meals however and there were a lot of good elements to them . Breakfast in the morning was a triumph, the full English was fantastic. Great ingredients cooked perfectly without the need of foam , tweels or squiggles on the plate !
Overall this was a really enjoyable stay, great value for money on the deal we had and I would definitely go back .

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Helmsleysxboy

Dear Helmsleysxboy

I am so pleased that both you and your friends had such a comfortable stay with us at Gisborough Hall.

Throughout the year, there are some magnificent deals to be had, particularly January – April.

I am pleased that your room was comfortable and the shower amazing, we try not to be pretentious with our food offerings, I am pleased that you all enjoyed the overall experience.

We hope that you will soon return

Reviewed 5 April 2014

stayed at gisborough hall for two nights at the end of march and apart from the weather could not have picked a better place for a relaxing break.The staff couldn't do enough for us, the food (breakfast and dinner both days) and service were excellent, the room (upgraded to a feature double) was large and immaculate, my wife tells me the spa treatment was superb and the surroundings were beautiful despite the mist. I should point out that on both days and nights there were wedding parties in progress but certainly from the main building we were not aware of any noise.

Room Tip: upgrade is quite expensive but without seeing standard rooms felt it was worth the extra for the add...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear bruce l

Thank you for taking the time to post your unbiased review on tripadvisor; following your recent stay at Gisborough Hall.

When the hotel was designed, noise pollution was a consideration and there is very little disturbance from functions and events.

Thank you for your kind remarks concerning the team and also the superb spa treatment that your wife experienced.

We hope that you will soon return.

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Guisborough
Raithwaite Estate
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club
#3 of 4 in Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!