“Private dining for 40th anniversary”

Gisborough Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guisborough
GreenLeadersSilver level
Redcar, United Kingdom
“Private dining for 40th anniversary”
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

After a lovely weekend at rockcliffe hall and a stay for private dining at raithwaite hall, which was superb, we were looking forward to a stay at gisborough hall for a private dining function. I got married at g hall and am a regular visitor. However yesterday I noticed a drastic slip in service which to be fair was like this when I visited recently for afternoon tea and the friendliness of the staff was non existent. It was such a step down from the courteous and attentive staff at raithwaite who served us fine food and drinks with a smile throughout our visit. Considering the £1000 plus we spent yesterday we did not feel welcome. My mum and dad were stopping the night and I was going to stay however decided I couldn't waste another £100 on a room as the service had been such a let down. Several times I asked for the lounge menu and the server ignored me. A full glass of champagne was spilt by a server over the table which hit my husband and the server wasn't really concerned. I also asked for a drink at one point and all I received was a 'mm' not the response I expect. I specifically ordered a dessert and again the response 'mm'. This kind of service is not acceptable how about 'of course madam. The plates and empty glasses piled up on the table and several times I asked for the room and table to be cleared and a few glasses were taken after several requests. I will attach photos if I can. All of our party were very disappointed not just me. There seemed to be no flexibility with the staff . We asked if they could make up a ham and cheese toasted sandwich for my 3 year old and were told this was not possible. However at raithwaite hall at 11pm this request was immediately fulfilled. I feel that the amount of money and the bar bill we were building deserved a much more personal experience or at least regular orders for drinks taken. The hotel bar and lounge was not exactly busy in the evening. I also feel personally the quality of the food has also slipped drastically. I am a company director myself and understand how important it is for the staff to portray the correct image of the hotel well this is not what is happening. The staff seemed inexperienced and not interested in our guest experience. It is also a worry that my father purchased a voucher for my mother for gisborough hall which I know she will now be worried about using. I feel that this matter requires addressing and I will be forwarding a formal complaint to the head office as this hotel was once full of friendly and professional staff, it is such a shame it has gone down hill so much. I could go on more as I am so cross but I will save it for my formal complaint.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Jennifer S
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Jennifer S

Thank you for taking the time and trouble in writing your review following your parents 40th Wedding Anniversary celebrations. .
I take reviews of this nature very personally, I opened this hotel and my core team have been with me for years, it therefore concerns me greatly that some members of the team did not perform and show the hospitality expected at Gisborough Hall and on which we have built our reputation.
Since reading your review on tripadvisor, I have had the opportunity in speaking to and apologising to your mother for any shortfalls in service you experienced.
It is unacceptable that my team should deliver poor service, I will be conducting a thorough investigation with those members of the team who were working, I would like to apologise for the service standards you experienced, and I assure you that this is not the norm at Gisborough Hall.
I hope that on future visits to the Hall, you and your family will find the great service that we are so proud of has returned.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Polish first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife on a weekend and with the weather being as lovely the setting was lovely.

Rooms were comfy and service and food great. Certainly worth being a 2 rosette restaurant.

This will be somewhere that we will consider when next in the area

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris S
Dear Chris S

Thank you for taking the time in posting your review on tripadvisor.
I am absolutely delighted that your stay with us was comfortable and that you enjoyed the food in Chaloner’s Restaurant.
We look forward to seeing you again when next in the area.

Many thanks
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

to leave. Sad that some people can criticise this top class hotel at a budget price. We were treated like royalty by open, honest , enthusiastic staff with a passion for their jobs.
Food was superb, faultless.
Though only able to stay for one night to celebrate our Ruby wedding anniversary it was absolutely perfect. So many times we have whizzed past the hotel , meaning to stay , assuming it was beyond our reach. It is fabulous, enjoy the stay.
Well done all at the Hall, you make it.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Rose room for special occasions
2 Thank Charlietango2013
Dear Charlietango2013

Firstly, may I offer my congratulations for your Ruby Wedding Anniversary, thank you for sharing this with us at Gisborough Hall.
I am so pleased that your anniversary was perfect and that my team were enthusiastic and passionate.
We hope that you will return.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My husband and I stayed a this hotel for 3 nights, 30th May. Lovely lovely friendly staff.
Excellent hotel in every way. Lovely position in the country, yet near to Guisborough, and Whitby. Clean, beautiful dining room, and lounge. Lovely bedrooms and Very quiet. The food was fantastic, the evening meal, and the lovely breakfast, all so well presented, and excellently cooked. We have stayed in lots of hotels, in this country and abroad, but rarely come across a hotel that has such friendly welcoming staff, from Caroline, on the reception, to the lovely porter who showed us to our room, and the serving staff in the restaurant. To name a few, Kirsty, who made sure that you had all you wanted, to Margaret and Elle, and all the others of whom I didn't get their names. Everyone made us feel so welcome. Thank you, we had a wonderful 3 days stay.
This was our second visit, and we will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor, far wing and so it was quite away from the Dining room, which didn...
2 Thank Carolyn723
Dear Carolyn723

I am delighted you had such a pleasant stay with us at Gisborough Hall for your recent short break holiday.
It is always a delight to read fabulous reports from returning guests, I am glad we delivered the service and quality that you expected.
The team that you have mentions were thrilled to read their names, thank you; we look forward to welcoming you back for your third stay.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Me and my fiancée stayed here, room was lovely, very clean, spacious, comfortable,
We dined in the restaurant, head waiter very knowledgable of the food and wine, restaurant was very nice not over pretentious, felt warm and comfortable, maybe the waiter needed to watch his choice of topic of conversation with some guests as speaking about working contracts isn't ideal in my opinion.

I had scallop and pork terrine which was good, my fiancé had the Barbary duck, duck egg, and pea soup, which she thoroughly enjoyed, mains arrived, slightly warm the lamb cooked perfectly but the "roast potatoes" on the dish where anything but roast, the whole dish needed to be more refined in my opinion, fiancée had the guinea fowl again was cooked well the carrots weren't quite al dente and border lining raw, again the dish needed tweaks on presentation, jus on the side of the plate not wiped clean ?
But both desserts is really where it let it down, the apple cooked in various ways, great ideas but failed to execute I tried each component on the dish and did not enjoy any, left the rest, by this time waiting staff had disbanded the restaurant and left a girl on her own, she was doing her best but to much for one person to manage on her own, we waited almost 20 minutes for someone to notice I hadn't touched my dessert and fiancé had left her orange and passion fruit dessert, also but nothing! eventually gave up and went to the lobby and had a cocktail which was very nice. All in all I'd go back once more to see if it was just an "off day" in the restaurant, the room was pleasant and staff where friendly.

2 Thank John R
Dear John R

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us at Gisborough Hall.
I am pleased that you would return, however have passed your comments regarding the food to my chef.
David Sotheran has been at the helm for the past five years, firstly gaining 1 rosette and for the past 4 years retaining two rosettes. Our kitchen team without exception are from the local area and are passionate in both production and delivery. Our food is seasonal, wherever possible local. I can see from your picture that you are possibly a caterer? I am sorry that some dishes did not meet your expectations.
I have passed on your comments regarding the waiting team to my restaurant manager, she cascaded this at her recent team meeting, and I am pleased however that you found the team pleasant and friendly.
I do hope that you will return and find all aspects of your stay meet expectations.

Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We have Lunch here most Sundays and find the Hotel,service and food to be top quality. The hotel and grounds make it a special place.
Unlike many top class restaurants, the lunch offers not only good quality meals but the portions are considerable.
A nice choice of wine to top things off.
All this at a very reasonable cost.

Room Tip: Book well in advance.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Huttongate

I appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback on Sunday Lunch on tripadvisor.
It is a pleasure to read such comments from someone who really appreciates what we are delivering. Sunday lunch I agree is first class and excellent value for money.
I do hope that you return on many future occasions.

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here a few weeks ago for the wedding of some family friends. The wedding was well organised and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food (usually wedding breakfasts are not great but this one was really tasty and that bit different). Everyone had a lovely day. The breakfast was also really good. The sausages, bacon and black pudding were of a particularly high standard. The only downside? We booked the room well in advance and were told that it would be at the wedding rate of £115 (good value as it included breakfast) but on booking in we were told we had to pay an additional £15 per child. We have two children. We did not get a bigger room than those without children, the children slept on camp beds and they are only small so could not possibly have consumed £30 worth of breakfast if they tried! I would have happily paid extra had I been told in advance but even then I think that this price was excessive. I did check at reception that a mistake hadn't been made - it hadn't!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank EmmieLouH
Dear EmmieLouH

I appreciated your comments regarding the organisation and quality of the wedding reception that you recently attended.
I am disappointed and apologise that my team did not make you aware at reservation stage of the charges for families. We do charge £15 for each child; this is for an extra bed and breakfast. I have passed this to my reservations team and reception manager to ensure that in future greater clarity is given.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guisborough
Raithwaite Estate
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,000 reviews
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club
#3 of 5 in Saltburn-by-the-Sea

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!