“Disappointing Stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ambelside
“Disappointing Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Welcoming and efficient staff on arrival.
Room a little disappointing with a lack of atmosphere/style for a hotel of this expected standard.
Lovely old manor house but getting a little tired/dated. Breakfast/dining room beautifully designed but disappointing service, food quality and presentation especially at breakfast. (Scrabbled egg ) arrived as a solid hard lump of coagulated egg) Sent it back to the kitchen and then it reappeared two minutes later (very quick eh) on a cold plate all chopped up in smaller pieces of the same. Gave up on on the scrambled eggs at that point and ordered bacon and two fried eggs which arrived totally translucent and almost raw. Afraid we checked out a little later as very hungry travelers. Called in at a small cafe further on in our journey and enjoyed a hearty English breakfast. Oh Joy, at last, real food, cooked well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear WestValeOwners

Thank you for posting your review.
We are so sorry that breakfast was poor; we are not complacent about our standards and have been working hard to train our kitchen team to cover maternity leave.
I am sorry that I have taken a while to respond to your post, I am however pleased to say that improvement has been seen.
We hope that you will return.

Kim Yardley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

My partner and I stayed here in July 2013 and for the price, (£131 per night) I expected a lot more. The décor is like a home for the elderly and despite paying for a 'view', all we could see out of the window was a path and some grass. The staff were not very welcoming either. For this money there are lots of better places to stay in this area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Holiday_Junkie222
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Holiday_Junkie222

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. However I am a little surprised that you stayed with us 11 months ago and have only now posted your review; much has changed in this time.
The majority of rooms have now been upgraded and decorated, we have also introduced flat screen TV’s and duvets. With the exception of one bedroom, all rooms have a view of the hotel surrounds, only the south facing rooms have views of the Cleveland Hills.
The team is our greatest asset, the majority of our guests have nothing but praise for them I am sorry that you were disappointed, and sadly it is too long ago to investigate your comments.
However should you ever return, we would welcome you back and I hope that you would have a very pleasurable experience?

Heerhugowaard
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed at his hotel for a couple of nights in May. The first evening we did have some complaints about our room and the food. The manager reacted splendidly and gave us the suite for the following nights. He promised us that the rest of our stay would be very comfortable and he did keep his promise. We thought the staff very attentive (also before we complained about anything).
The property is lovely, for us it was wonderful to stay in an old country house!
Very nice breakfast as well, only didn't understand why I had to pay extra for my kipper as I had this instead of eggs, bacon, black pudding etc…
My husband did enjoy the black pudding very much and they gave him a bumper portion on our last day!

1 Thank Juliadrusilla
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Juliadrusilla

I would like to thank you for taking the time and trouble in posting a review following your recent stay with us at Gisborough Hall.
Having travelled from the Netherlands, you were disappointed in your first night’s stay with us at the hotel; your stay was less than perfect. I am so pleased that you took the time to talk to me about this and I was able to “wow” you and turn your experience around.
Should you travel to this part of England in the future, we would love to see you again and welcome you back to the hotel.

Redcar, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

After a lovely weekend at rockcliffe hall and a stay for private dining at raithwaite hall, which was superb, we were looking forward to a stay at gisborough hall for a private dining function. I got married at g hall and am a regular visitor. However yesterday I noticed a drastic slip in service which to be fair was like this when I visited recently for afternoon tea and the friendliness of the staff was non existent. It was such a step down from the courteous and attentive staff at raithwaite who served us fine food and drinks with a smile throughout our visit. Considering the £1000 plus we spent yesterday we did not feel welcome. My mum and dad were stopping the night and I was going to stay however decided I couldn't waste another £100 on a room as the service had been such a let down. Several times I asked for the lounge menu and the server ignored me. A full glass of champagne was spilt by a server over the table which hit my husband and the server wasn't really concerned. I also asked for a drink at one point and all I received was a 'mm' not the response I expect. I specifically ordered a dessert and again the response 'mm'. This kind of service is not acceptable how about 'of course madam. The plates and empty glasses piled up on the table and several times I asked for the room and table to be cleared and a few glasses were taken after several requests. I will attach photos if I can. All of our party were very disappointed not just me. There seemed to be no flexibility with the staff . We asked if they could make up a ham and cheese toasted sandwich for my 3 year old and were told this was not possible. However at raithwaite hall at 11pm this request was immediately fulfilled. I feel that the amount of money and the bar bill we were building deserved a much more personal experience or at least regular orders for drinks taken. The hotel bar and lounge was not exactly busy in the evening. I also feel personally the quality of the food has also slipped drastically. I am a company director myself and understand how important it is for the staff to portray the correct image of the hotel well this is not what is happening. The staff seemed inexperienced and not interested in our guest experience. It is also a worry that my father purchased a voucher for my mother for gisborough hall which I know she will now be worried about using. I feel that this matter requires addressing and I will be forwarding a formal complaint to the head office as this hotel was once full of friendly and professional staff, it is such a shame it has gone down hill so much. I could go on more as I am so cross but I will save it for my formal complaint.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Jennifer S
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Jennifer S

Thank you for taking the time and trouble in writing your review following your parents 40th Wedding Anniversary celebrations. .
I take reviews of this nature very personally, I opened this hotel and my core team have been with me for years, it therefore concerns me greatly that some members of the team did not perform and show the hospitality expected at Gisborough Hall and on which we have built our reputation.
Since reading your review on tripadvisor, I have had the opportunity in speaking to and apologising to your mother for any shortfalls in service you experienced.
It is unacceptable that my team should deliver poor service, I will be conducting a thorough investigation with those members of the team who were working, I would like to apologise for the service standards you experienced, and I assure you that this is not the norm at Gisborough Hall.
I hope that on future visits to the Hall, you and your family will find the great service that we are so proud of has returned.

Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife on a weekend and with the weather being as lovely the setting was lovely.

Rooms were comfy and service and food great. Certainly worth being a 2 rosette restaurant.

This will be somewhere that we will consider when next in the area

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris S
Dear Chris S

Thank you for taking the time in posting your review on tripadvisor.
I am absolutely delighted that your stay with us was comfortable and that you enjoyed the food in Chaloner’s Restaurant.
We look forward to seeing you again when next in the area.

Many thanks
Scarborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

to leave. Sad that some people can criticise this top class hotel at a budget price. We were treated like royalty by open, honest , enthusiastic staff with a passion for their jobs.
Food was superb, faultless.
Though only able to stay for one night to celebrate our Ruby wedding anniversary it was absolutely perfect. So many times we have whizzed past the hotel , meaning to stay , assuming it was beyond our reach. It is fabulous, enjoy the stay.
Well done all at the Hall, you make it.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Rose room for special occasions
2 Thank Charlietango2013
Dear Charlietango2013

Firstly, may I offer my congratulations for your Ruby Wedding Anniversary, thank you for sharing this with us at Gisborough Hall.
I am so pleased that your anniversary was perfect and that my team were enthusiastic and passionate.
We hope that you will return.

Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

My husband and I stayed a this hotel for 3 nights, 30th May. Lovely lovely friendly staff.
Excellent hotel in every way. Lovely position in the country, yet near to Guisborough, and Whitby. Clean, beautiful dining room, and lounge. Lovely bedrooms and Very quiet. The food was fantastic, the evening meal, and the lovely breakfast, all so well presented, and excellently cooked. We have stayed in lots of hotels, in this country and abroad, but rarely come across a hotel that has such friendly welcoming staff, from Caroline, on the reception, to the lovely porter who showed us to our room, and the serving staff in the restaurant. To name a few, Kirsty, who made sure that you had all you wanted, to Margaret and Elle, and all the others of whom I didn't get their names. Everyone made us feel so welcome. Thank you, we had a wonderful 3 days stay.
This was our second visit, and we will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor, far wing and so it was quite away from the Dining room, which didn...
2 Thank Carolyn723
Dear Carolyn723

I am delighted you had such a pleasant stay with us at Gisborough Hall for your recent short break holiday.
It is always a delight to read fabulous reports from returning guests, I am glad we delivered the service and quality that you expected.
The team that you have mentions were thrilled to read their names, thank you; we look forward to welcoming you back for your third stay.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guisborough
Raithwaite Estate
#1 of 2 in Easington
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club
#3 of 5 in Saltburn-by-the-Sea

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!