“OverNight Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“OverNight Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

My stay here was due to a charity event that night, it was very easy to get to set in amazing surrounding in a gorgeous setting. The Rooms are lovely all very different to one another which adds to a more personal experience to one another. The group we were with together we have four rooms between us and no two were even similar. All very clean with nice views. The staff were all friendly. The food was lovely - I must add I have never seen carrots so orange in my life, the food was very fresh and at breakfast there was a massive variety. I wouldnt hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: They are all so different it depends what you want all have nice views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Kate A

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I am delighted that you came to stay with your friends to attend a charity ball.
We hope that you will come back soon.

Kim Yardley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I had high expectation when I arrived. It's a lovely hotel, gorgeous settings, and fantastic food. I was so relaxed when I arrived, but then I went back to my room, and was kept awake until the party, which was on in the function room, had finished. I rung to see what time it was going on till, they told me the time it was finishing and she asked "is it loud', I said yes I can hear it, but there was no offer of changing the room. It's so unfair that just because there is a function on everyone else has to be awake until its finished. I will not be recommending this hotel, as I arrived relaxed,and left tired and down £120. Not impressed

• Stayed June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank tophotels
Dear tophotels

I would like to apologise to you for any noise disturbance experienced during your recent stay at Gisborough Hall.
We endeavour to allocate bedrooms away from our Madoc Suite, I am sorry that this marred your stay with us.

West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Gisborough Hall is one of the most beautiful hotels I've stayed in. Filled with character and charm, the lounge area with its huge open fire is a must. Just sitting back with a drink & listening to the fire crackle was very relaxing.

All of the public areas were clean and pleasant. The restaurant is modern, the staff were excellent & the food was perfect every day.

The only disappointment was the bedroom! Drab, basic & in need of a lick of paint & a good clean. I had my dog with me so assume that you are allocated the worst rooms if your 4 legged friend joins you? I can't imagine all of the rooms were as bad as mine?

But other than that, I had a nice time. The staff were all very attentive & polite. Made us feel very welcome. I Found some nice walks which lead into town & I had a relaxing break.

Would recommend a visit, even if just one night, to enjoy the character, the surroundings and meet the Llamas in the field outside,

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank FluffPuppy
Dear Peafee33

Thank you for posting your review, we are not complacent about our standards and value all comments in order to maintain and improve for future guests.
I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us, the ground floor rooms where we allow our four legged friends have now been decorated in tasteful country colours, chairs replaced and the rooms looked clean and refreshed.
We hope that you will soon return.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

This hotel is superb Yorkshire value. The restaurant is good and the staff very friendly. The main benefit is the value for money which would be hard to better in the UK. Good for Whitby and the coast. It is a busy hotel with lots of rooms but is popular because of its benefits.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are a bit distant but not really a problem. Very good for disabled folk.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike E
Dear Mike E

Thank you for your kind comments, I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay and found us value for money.
We hope that you will soon return

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Welcoming staff and as a member of the MacDonalds points club, we were upgraded from the new wing to the main building - a big room and bathroom on the top floor with views of the surrounding hills. Had cream tea included on arrival with plenty of tea.
Both days there was a Wedding reception going on but did not affect us as they have a large wing and garden to accommodate the guests.
Ate in the Bistro on the first night, food and service was good. Did not take breakfast first morning.
After a phone call 2 days previous we booked a 3-course meal at a £10 discount second night. Again food good but there was a party with several young children in a side room who ran around (parents did not care about other guests!), more concerned drinking wine!
Took breakfast second morning - a disaster! When arrived the restaurant was quiet and after having cereal and fruit (very good buffet style), an order for one breakfast was taken by a young lady (scrambled eggs, bacon, a tomato). After 50 minutes and realising others who arrived later than us were receiving their breakfasts I asked where mine was - will chase. No response. Then another waitress asked and said would not be long. It finally arrived and Restaurant Manager apologised for the delay - my Order had been lost!!!
After checking out we were now running an hour late for our visit to Whitby and journey home. Someone needs to take control at Breakfast especially when very busy. Unfortunately this spoilt an otherwise nice stay.

Room Tip: 226 - large room and bed with huge bathroom overlooking the hills. Dated decor as befitting an old h...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike K
Dear Mike K

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay at this hotel. We are not complacent about our standards and value all comments in order to maintain and improve for future guests.
We apologise for your poor breakfast experience, I hope this will not prevent you from returning.

Ambelside
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Welcoming and efficient staff on arrival.
Room a little disappointing with a lack of atmosphere/style for a hotel of this expected standard.
Lovely old manor house but getting a little tired/dated. Breakfast/dining room beautifully designed but disappointing service, food quality and presentation especially at breakfast. (Scrabbled egg ) arrived as a solid hard lump of coagulated egg) Sent it back to the kitchen and then it reappeared two minutes later (very quick eh) on a cold plate all chopped up in smaller pieces of the same. Gave up on on the scrambled eggs at that point and ordered bacon and two fried eggs which arrived totally translucent and almost raw. Afraid we checked out a little later as very hungry travelers. Called in at a small cafe further on in our journey and enjoyed a hearty English breakfast. Oh Joy, at last, real food, cooked well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear WestValeOwners

Thank you for posting your review.
We are so sorry that breakfast was poor; we are not complacent about our standards and have been working hard to train our kitchen team to cover maternity leave.
I am sorry that I have taken a while to respond to your post, I am however pleased to say that improvement has been seen.
We hope that you will return.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

My partner and I stayed here in July 2013 and for the price, (£131 per night) I expected a lot more. The décor is like a home for the elderly and despite paying for a 'view', all we could see out of the window was a path and some grass. The staff were not very welcoming either. For this money there are lots of better places to stay in this area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Holiday_Junkie222
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Holiday_Junkie222

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. However I am a little surprised that you stayed with us 11 months ago and have only now posted your review; much has changed in this time.
The majority of rooms have now been upgraded and decorated, we have also introduced flat screen TV’s and duvets. With the exception of one bedroom, all rooms have a view of the hotel surrounds, only the south facing rooms have views of the Cleveland Hills.
The team is our greatest asset, the majority of our guests have nothing but praise for them I am sorry that you were disappointed, and sadly it is too long ago to investigate your comments.
However should you ever return, we would welcome you back and I hope that you would have a very pleasurable experience?

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guisborough
Raithwaite Estate
Cross Keys By Good Night Inns
Wynyard Hall
Wynyard Hall
#1 of 1 in Billingham

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!