“Wedding anniversary stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guisborough
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Wedding anniversary stay”
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Over night stay dbb good sized room bit of a route march to get to involving two lifts corridors and doorways but ok room well equipped good sized bed that was comfortable bathroom large with separate shower fresh milk and ice via room service pre dinner drinks reasonable priced restaurant choice good food good with polite frendly staff given possibly the best table good nights sleep breakfast ok staff did seem in a daze could have been on the ball more at clearing tables and restocking the fresh fruits and yoghurt ect not a big moan but would have made breakfast more enjoyable

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Michael W

Congratulations to you both on your recent wedding anniversary, I am so pleased that you spent it with us.

The main Hall has some superb 4-poster and superior room types, why not consider this for your next anniversary? We commence refurbishment of the 2nd floor in November, slightly smaller but filled with character.

I am pleased you found our team to be friendly; however I will pass your comments regarding speed and quality of breakfast service to my Restaurant Manager.

I hope that you will soon return.

Kim Yardley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Very comfortable hotel, rooms are huge! Beautiful gardens and the setting is perfect for a wedding! Just off the main A171, but there is no traffic noise as the hotel is set back in its own grounds. I was a wedding guest and would definitely recommend this hotel for either a wedding venue, or a break.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear Elaine D

Thank you for posting such lovely comments on Tripadvisor, two of our USP’s: the hotel is located away from the main road so no noise disturbance, another being that we host only one wedding a day which also brings tranquillity.

I am delighted that you would recommend our hotel for a wedding, I hope that you come back soon for a short break. Incidentally we have a superb offer “Come back soon” January – March 2015, why not book your break now?

Shipley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for two nights , overall it was an outstanding experience . The room was the best we stayed in with a perfect view from the majestic bay window out onto the grounds. The four poster bed was very comfortable , the attention to detail in the room and throughout the hotel was second to none . We ate in the bistro and the meal was very tasty , the service staff again outstanding . Would recommend having breakfast in the room , this added a special touch to our stay and the tray charge is minimal. We honestly can't fault this hotel , if you are looking for somewhere a little special than the run of the mill , this hotel will not disappoint !

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear tittytwister

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of Gisborough Hall on tripadvisor.

I am delighted that you chose to stay in one of our recently redecorated 4-poster rooms, the views over the hills are magnificent I am so pleased you were so comfortable.

We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

If I had come here on a romantic break it would have been perfect. The place is in a remote area where there is NO phone signal, and the hotel has chosen to use the cloud for wifi, which is poor to say the very least.
I came on business and was unable to make calls or use the internet - plus the phone in my room didn't work - I was given the key to another room, but the phone here didn't work either. Unacceptable.

This aside, the hotel is really nice, my room was huge with a bath and separate shower and double sinks. There were plug sockets next to the bed (hurray!), the bed itself was big and comfortable and there was plenty of light and space.

The hotel is large, the trip from reception to the room was a long one....down a corridor.....up a lift, down several more corridors, through a conservatory, up another lift and along some more corridors!

The building is really attractive and the lounge are and restaurants are really attractive, it would be a really lovely place to have a wedding.

We are in the bistro and I had a burger, which was really good it seemed like the actual burger was made in house as it was chunky and loose, with onion rings and a really yummy tomato chutney. My companion had a steak which she really enjoyed and we then shared a cheese board, which was too small for sharing, we should have got two!

When it came to splitting the bill and putting it on our rooms, it took two staff 15 minutes to get their heads round this, which was really frustrating. Especially as we had asked about this prior to ordering and one of them said "just order together and we can split it after"

After a decent nights sleep we had breakfast in the morning - almost £18 for breakfast is a lot, but there was a continental selection and all the usual cereals and juices with fruit and yoghurt, plus hot breakfast items - we had a selection from the cold items and ordered the signature breakfast - one sausage, some smoked bacon, an egg cooked how you like it, a mushroom and a tomato - not a great deal - I was disappointed to learn that things like baked beans and black pudding cost extra - for almost 20 quid, nothing should be extra.

I would stay here again, but not for business, I don't think their connectivity facilities make it an appropriate place for a business stay if you actually want to do any business. But I would happily stay here on a romantic break.

Its worth a mention that you can get fresh milk and ice delivered to your room by room service at no additional cost, I think this is a nice touch as I hate that plastic milk you get in hotel rooms. There's also a cafetiere for your coffee in the room too.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank deville1984
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear deville1984

Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay with us at Gisborough Hall, and that you would return for a romantic break.

We have recently had the cloud installed and had some issues with some blind spots in the hotel. This was resolved over 2-weeks ago and we have received no further complaint. I hope that you will stay again and the internet will be working adequately.

We continually look into ways in which we can improve the telephone signal; I am loathe to install a transmitter on the hotel roof until I have absolute assurances that there is no health risk to guests or staff.

I am delighted you enjoyed the room food and ambience of the hotel; I will pass your comments regarding the bill splitting to my catering team to resolve and ensure there is no repetition.

We look forward to you returning.

UK
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We enjoy staying at Gisborough Hall as it is so close to home,(20mins) but could be miles from anywhere as it is so peaceful and relaxing. From first arriving and being checked in, to leaving the next day everyone was friendly, efficient helpful, we found nothing was too much trouble. Our room was lovely, bathroom spacious with twin sinks, bath and walk-in shower. We never used the coffee/tea making facilities preferring to have coffee/drinks in the lounge, but they looked more than adequate if we had wanted drinks in our room.
Both the evening meal and breakfast were very good, we always eat early so did not find a problem with the amount of staff. We had a red wine recommended by the young lady in the bar in the afternoon(sorry have forgotten her name) this was superb and not too expensive. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we took up the offer to "stay again" and booked for January and March.

1 Thank patsylandin
Dear patsylandin

Thank you for your positive review of Gisborough Hall, I am so happy you have stayed with us on previous trips; we look forward to you returning.

I am absolutely delighted that you have chosen to rebook on our “Come back soon” offer in the new year, as you are fairly local you will be aware of the beauty of the area changing with the seasons.

We look forward to you returning.

Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The two night started off in a fantastic way, the first 24 hours were perfect from reception, to the accommodation and into the restaurant, everything was great, the staff fantastic and helpful. It was a model of good courteous service.
But every good thing has to come to an end.
On our second afternoon we returned from a trip out and wanted a coffee, we waited over 30minutes for two cups of coffee in the bar (£7). There was only one person working in the Bistro/bar which was clearly insufficient. (they were not at fault just overloaded).
Our dinner that evening left much to be desired as my wife's main course was cold when served, whilst the staff tried to do their best to correct the situation, the result was my wife's second meal was hot etc whilst mine had dried out as they kept it hot. Kirsty, who was in charge of the restaurant, dealt with the issue in a very acceptable but innovative way, which showed she really cared about the problem, which could happen anytime/anywhere. Breakfast on the last morning was once again spoilt by a lack of adequate staffing, as the breakfast room filled up the delays became longer and the service less attentive.
Having mentioned the downsides, it was an enjoyable stay and perhaps at a different time of the year or with more staff, we would willingly return and score more highly

Dear ShireOak

Thank you for your review, we are not complacent about our standards and value all comments in order to maintain and improve for future guests.

I am sorry that the slow service marred your stay in respect to the coffee service in the bar, and with breakfast the following day. I am delighted that Kirsty reacted to your issues in a positive manner and I assure you that she will review the staffing levels on all times of the day more vigilantly.

We hope that you will soon return.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

A wonderful hotel, the staff are a credit as they actually look as though they enjoy their job and want to serve you. Our Room was quiet and comfortable with everything changed daily. Hope to be back soon. Also the wifi in the room was excellent as this was a search criteria for my stay as my girls were in Australia so needed daily contact.

Room Tip: Quiet in room 229 which is in a corner of the front of the hotel.