Just come back from a lovely long weekend at The Old Swan and Minster Mill.
Overall the hotel, restaurant and associated services was a very high standard. We booked on the Secret Escapes offer however at £250 a night (incl breakfast and dinner) it isn't the cheapest of breaks away for 2 nights.
We loved our room and the peacefull environment and were totally relaxed throughout.
The food was devine (dinner and prob the best breakfast I've ever had) and even though we were on a special offer we could still choose anything we wanted from the menu without any of those annoying supplements
There were just a few niggly issues which prevented a 5* review;
-Restaurant...food devine although at times service was so slow. Nothing annoys me more than staring at a finished main course for over 15 mins waiting for it to be collected. We definately needed a break before dessert but the process between sitting down, waiting for the order to be taken and plates cleared is quite a long one. Both dinners we were there for over 2 hours but loved the food and were relaxing so didn't really bother us but would have done to other diners potentially!
- Service - very polite and smart waitresses and waitors however they definately need more to help alleviate some of the above slowness. (Charming Head of Staff Rob and waitress Camilla?)
However as someone who's worked in the hospitality industry before when you pay for such a premium weekend away you do expect the service to be premium too...out of all the waitors and meals we had, we only received one checkback during the meals we had. Even checking out the receptionist didn't ask us how our stay was (would have expected to with the bill being £600 value in 2 days)....had she done we would have expressed our only complaint of the stay being a noisy wedding and music right outside our room until 12.30
- Drinks - good drinks menu however at London prices. They have a lovely sun terrace and having waitor service during peak times instead of guests having to go inside to order would only add to the premium feel to the place...it felt a little self service
- Rooms - were lovely (we were in the mill) however during the weekend it was very hot...there's no air con in the rooms and at ground level we didn't really want to open the window (furthermore we discovered the windows lacked all security as on our one the lock was broken and could be slid open from the outside, so all items went in the safe)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An historic Cotswold inn and boutique hotel, the Old Swan & Minster Mill is privately owned by Andrew Brownsword Hotels. Set is the picturesque village of Old Minster alongside the River Windrush, the 15 bedroom inn is stunningly romantic. A further 37 contemporary guest rooms and suites are available in Minster Mill. Family rooms and dog friendly rooms are available. For those looking for more privacy and space, the adjoining newly restored Swan Cottage offers three ensuite bathrooms and a private garden. Dining in the 600-year-old inn feels like stepping back in time with stone floors, beamed ceilings, roaring log fires and delicious gastro-pub food based on fresh, local, seasonal ingredients with a modern twist. Over 65 acres of gardens and 2 miles of fly-fishing on over a mile of the River Windrush ensure a tranquil and picturesque setting. Children have a wealth of activities. There is a tennis court, badminton, gym, croquet, petanque and spa treatments available. Located between the medieval town of Burford and historic market town of Witney, the inn is a short drive from Blenheim Palace and Bicester Designer Shopping Village. Oxford is 20 minutes drive. Nearest train station Charlbury is 15 minutes by taxi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Old Swan & Minster Mill reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Swan & Minster Mill Hotel Witney
- Old Swan And Minster Mill
- Old Swan & Minster Mill Minster Lovell, Oxfordshire