“Lovely hotel , in lovely grounds”

Old Swan & Minster Mill
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Minster Lovell
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed two nights in the Minster Mill, to celebrate our wedding anniversary, a lovely room right on the river with our own little patio area. Ate in the restaurant and had breakfast in the Old Swan. Food was great and the staff so friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. The grounds are just amazing with a lovely river walk. Nice touches like benches and deckchairs dotted about the grounds and umbrellas at the door for crossing over to the other side. Chairs by the river and in the pub garden. Also a spa so treated myself to a massage too!! A lovely hotel in lovely grounds, just perfect for a quiet break, but also ideal to explore Oxford and the surrounding areas. Will definately be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing or near to the river!! Just perfect!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed at the Old Swan and Minster Mill a few days ago and found the hotel to be very welcoming. Although the hotel dates back centuries the rooms have a modern feel to them and are extremely clean. I found the port that was left for me on arrival very nice too. Staff are very helpful and check in and out runs very smooth. I had an evening meal and breakfast in the Old Swan and both were great quality at fairly reasonable prices (for a place of this stature). Overall I would recommend this to anyone from individuals to families. I will definitely be visiting again but his time for pleasure rather than business.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Absolutely amazing. The grounds are massive and spectacular with plenty of views and walks to get lost in for hours, the staff are wonderfully helpful, breakfast was to die for and the room was exquisite (and we stayed in some of the cheaper rooms). Well worth the cost. Would highly recommend to couples of all ages.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Fletch200
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Staying at the hotel now and find that although the staff are very friendly and will do everything they can to accommodate your needs the size of the rooms are very small with even smaller bathrooms for the amount of money you are paying for bed and breakfast . After reading some of the reviews about the restaurant I think breakfast should be interesting ! My party of 4 did have an after dinner drink in the bar last night and at £25+ for two glasses of wine one pint and a soft drink I found this somewhat steep! After looking at the menu we chose not to eat in the restaurant last night but drove a short way and found a very nice restaurant serving good food at sensible prices. We shall not be eating in the hotel again tonight but will try another of nice local pubs that are around.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ian1947
GMOldSwanMinsterMill, General Manager at Old Swan & Minster Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you for your review, which was posted during your stay and I acknowledge the comments you've made. As you know, both my Guest Host and Sales Manager did meet with you, knowing that you've made comments about your room to offer an alternative but I understand that this was declined. I do appreciate that moving mid-stay can be a huge disruption.

Our room categories are described exactly as they are, based upon the key feature. Garden rooms are called as such because their outlook over the garden is the predominant feature; whereas River Rooms are right by the river with their own terrace. This is why we are blatant in our description of Cosy Rooms. For many of our guests, they fully understand this and are very content.

With regard to our food and beverage pricing, this is driven by a huge amount of factors. The key thing to note is that we are not trying to be "the local pub" and the comparable costs of running a 5-star gastro inn with a village pub are poles apart. Our pricing is also influenced by market expectations, as is the style of menu. Of course there are many other operations, which provide perfectly good experiences at lower prices but this is subjective.

I do hope you took the time to enjoy the rest of your experience here and I thank you for passing on your comments.

With best wishes

Patrick Jones

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My Fiancee booked me into the Spa as a surprise birthday treat. And what a treat it was!! I had the hot stone massage with Kate the beauty therapist and it was amazing. She made me feel relaxed from the very beginning while maintaining a high standard of professionalism throughout. I left feeling very relaxed and revitalized! She was full of tips and advice, so much so, that I have booked to go back. If you are looking for a beauty package/treatment, then this is the place too go. Excellent service!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 June 2014

As locations go, it couldn't be more chocolate box! The Old Swan & Minster Mill is a delight.
I booked a "mini-moon" for my new wife and I through the Secret Escapes website, and the result was perfect.

Check-in is a delight, particularly with the hotel's new greeter in situ - a more professional, yet warm and generous approach you won't find anywhere.

Chilled Prosecco awaited us in the room, along with a Congratulatory card from all the staff (it's these little touches that live long in the memory and colour somebody's view of an establishment).

The grounds are immaculate, and with the river Windrush running its course through the property the atmosphere is serene, despite the modestly busy country roads nearby.

Furthermore, I discovered a hitherto untapped aptitude for lawn croquet! I'm unusually good at it too!

The rooms in Minster Mill are modest, yet superbly realised with excellent bathrooms and beds. Two minor points for the de Savary Group staff:
1. A small refrigerator - perhaps stored in the wardrobe - wouldn't go amiss.
2. Television channels are a hit and miss affair - an upgrade to the service would be welcome (although we spend *very* little time watching TV!).

The spa was wonderful. We both had massages, mine a back and neck, my wife's a hot stone, and while my wife wouldn't necessarily undergo the same treatment again (it wasn't due to the quality of the treatment, merely her preference for the hot stone element), I would *definitely* pay a return visit to Kate - the massage therapist.

The food, frankly, is mindblowing.
Particular highlights for my wife and I were the gorgeous comb honey and treacle-roasted hams at breakfast, and the outstanding steaks and triple-cooked chips at dinner.

Recommended wholeheartedly. Mesmerising.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Foxtrot-foxtrot
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We are a family of four and had two connecting rooms on the Minster Mill side of the hotel. The rooms were ok at first glance but in the evening we noticed there was a draft even with all windows and doors closed. Turns out there was some wind coming through the roof which was very uncomfortable. Also, the area above the beds had not been dusted for years and there were spiders. Food in the restaurant was pretty good but clearly a bit on the expensive side. Children's activities were fairly basic and tailor-made activities very expensive (fly-fishing £120 !). Overall an ok place if you want to stay in the area but not good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Go2Beach2014

Thank you for your review and I am so sorry that you were affected by a draught in your room. I have immediately asked the maintenance department to investigate the cause, so that we may rectify this for the future. Needless to say, I must assure you that our housekeeping department regularly cleans the rafters and high level dusting but sorry that this did not appear to be the case for you.

We were pleased that you enjoyed your food and hospitality experience in the restaurant and, although I recognise your point that we are not cheap, our pricing is set based on many variables including the appeal we are trying to achieve and the running costs of the entire operation.

With regard to children's activities, I don't think that i'd agree with your comments and this is generally a very positive area in our guests' comments. The playbarn has many activities for very young children; there's a small high quality playground, as well as badminton, giant chess, tennis and various chickens around the property, not to mention Betty & Eddy our resident ducks.

I do hope that, on your next visit to our area, you'll choose to visit the Old Swan & Minster Mill again and we can ensure the improvements required.

With best wishes

#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
The Maytime Inn
The Maytime Inn
#1 of 8 in Burford

Been to Old Swan & Minster Mill? Share your experiences!