“Great service”

Old Swan & Minster Mill Restaurant & Pub
Price range: US$4 - US$36
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Expect fresh local ingredients crafted into hearty dishes; this is the perfect place to enjoy a pie and a pint by the fireside, or a salad on the terrace in the summer. The menu is seasonal and the food is simple, hearty and flavoursome with delicious items available all day. The Old Swan's dining rooms and bars are a myriad of beamed, cosy quarters with roaring log fires and rugged flag-stone floors. There are a choice of dining rooms depending on your numbers, occasion and preference or enjoy the outdoor terrace and picturesque gardens throughout the summer months. Dogs are permitted, with their owners, into the bar area only of the Old Swan where a snack menu is on offer.
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Food a delight staff very helpful service with a smile and not rushed whilst eating. Paul and Poppy deserve a special mention they made our visit that little extra special

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Expensive but great food, well served in perfect location. Staff friendly. Place is Posh but without the snobbery. Will definitely return

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Meeting up with friends in the Cotswolds , we chose this restaurant for its stunning setting and beautiful surroundings .... Sadly it went dreadfully downhill after that .
The service last Saturday night was beyond unacceptable .. First encounter with the restaurant manager ..... Looked more like he should have been on a farm .. Very unprofessional. No sign of a drink for 30 mins .. And no food until gone 10 pm .. So disappointing and embarrassing as I had booked restaurant and our friends were treating us ...
The table staff were doing their best , within reason , but the manager in the restaurant was an awkward presence that would have been better suited to a remote village style pub rather than a Peter de Savary boutique restaurant ... Sadly won't return .

GMOldSwanMinsterMill, General Manager at Old Swan & Minster Mill Restaurant & Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Thank you for your review and I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to the Old Swan & Minster Mill. We continually work hard to provide an excellent standard of service and whilst we accept that things go wrong from time to time, often due to the very unpredictable nature of our business, our aim is to learn from these incidents and prevent them in future. Obviously it is very difficult when disappointment turns into a stinging attack on an individual and the references to belonging on a farm are both unhelpful and derogatory to farming. I am bound to point out that our Old Swan Manager receives a huge amount of praise for his professionalism and charming humour, as well as his high standards. No-one will be more disappointed and indeed offended by the comments you have made towards him.

Saturday evenings are often extremely busy and the multitude of orders, often within a short space of time, can cause a delay as all of the food is carefully prepared and sent to order. There are many elements to each dish which need to be brought together simultaneously. Of course, there can be no excuse for a delay in drinks service and I am very sorry that the service to you appeared so poor.

Our Chairman, Lana de Savary, is very disappointed that your experience was so poor and asked me to pass on her sincerest apologies. Our reputation continues to grow and we can see this through improvements in our performance but of course we need to continue to improve and my team and I intend to do so.

With best wishes

Patrick Jones

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

A beautiful location and an outstanding establishment.
English classic with carefully managed modern touches.
The cuisine is locally sourced and of the highest quality.
The staff are extremely professional and understand high quality customer service and know their menu.
The rooms vary in style type and location in the grounds but all very high quality.
I recommend this establishment without reservation.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

A group of us had lunch here - some had pre ordered (about a month ago!), we hadn't as we joined the party late. When the food arrived, as you can imagine, many had forgotten what they had ordered, but everyone was very laid back about it - except the staff! They were grumpy and just shouted out what they had in their hands - the senior guy (he was at the bar too) in the end just dumped a plate in front of the guest next to me and said "pork terrine" with the tone of "like it or lump it"!!! They had brought my husband's and my starters out to the terrace early, so we had sent them back saying we were dining with the others (as we had told the guy at the bar - see above). I am sure my risotto was just kept on a hot plate for half an hour as when it arrived it was lumpy and luke warm! I didn't send it back as I would have had to wait another half hour for it.
We did have 5 bottles of wine between 10 of us, but when the bill came to £140 a couple we were all surprised - and not in a good way! My meal was : goat's cheese salad, pea and asparagus risotto (I later found out this was £17.50 !!!!! so I should have sent it back!!!) and a cheese plate (with 4 tiny pieces of cheese)!!!
You turn up and you think this is the quintessential country pub and expect the atmosphere to be the same - warm, cosy and welcoming - however, they obviously do not have to advertise for their business as it is such a popular area, and they certainly didn't try!! It was a real shame as it could have been the perfect afternoon.