We visited mid October the great weather, location and staff made up for the disappointing state of the hotel. we had room 108 with a view over the loch and the hills.
This hotel is only three star, so don't expect it to be up to the normal Macdonald's standard. It is in a lovely remote location and appears to have been forgotten by head office when it comes to refurbishment. That being said it has a charm and a nice atmosphere especially in the dining room.
What makes this hotel is its location and the hard working staff, as it appears to be run with the minimum of staff. The food was to a good standard and one of the evening meals we had would have been at home in some of Macdonald's 4-5 star hotels. The menu is the same most nights so if you are staying more than three nights it would get boring. Breakfast was not quite up to what we expect at Macdonald's, with very slow replenishment of the buffet items and clearing of tables. Mainly due to staff inexperience and not enough on duty for breakfast. One example was I had porridge one morning and was half way through it out come our cooked breakfasts, and the water stood looking at me not knowing what to do.
Some of the furniture and decoration in the bedroom and the bar areas needs a little attention or replacing as it is beginning to show its age. With a little bit of refurbishment could be so much better.
But as I have already said its the staff and location that make this hotel, we enjoyed our stay and would return when it has been tided up.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heart of the Highlands, the hotel is situated on the north shore above Loch Rannoch and the picturesque village of Kinloch Rannoch with majestic views of the loch and hills that are simply breathtaking. The magnificent setting is the ideal location to enjoy a break away from busy lives or a romantic retreat. Steeped in tradition and rich in heritage, the hotel invites one to step back to a quieter time, while still enjoying the comfort of a superb hotel. Looking for somewhere to enjoy quality Scottish food? There is a fine selection of meals to be enjoyed in The Ptarmigan Restaurant or the Schiehallion Bar. Here at our Loch Rannoch Perthshire hotel we use only the freshest of ingredients to provide fantastic food, expertly prepared, in beautiful surroundings with superb service. And when you need to unwind, our Leisure Club is the ideal way to relax after a long day. Heated swimming pool, steam room, sauna and gym are on offer to relieve stress and leave you feeling refreshed. For the more energetic, Schiehallion - our local Munro - beckons. There are numerous woodland walks nearby too, which are suitable for all the family. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Macdonald Loch Rannoch Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Loch Rannoch Hotel Kinloch Rannoch, Scotland
- Macdonald Loch Rannoch Hotel And Resort
- Macdonald Loch Rannoch Kinloch