“Beautiful views.”

Macdonald Loch Rannoch Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kinloch Rannoch
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed 3 nights and really loved this hotel. It had real history to it and the staff were great. Beautiful, remote location. It is not "corporate", there are chunks of paint missing out of the front door and, yeah, it is old fashioned. Don't let that worry you though. Can't comment on the leisure facilities as we didn't use them. Restaurant was lovely. Breakfast was superb and cooked to order. Supplement for eggs Benedict a bit cheeky considering what else you could choose, or indeed not choose, for free anyway. Not as annoying as the price of wine though - hotels really need to wake up to the fact that you can buy perfectly pleasant supermarket wine for less than £6 per bottle these days and paying £23 for similar/ lower quality is really not funny. The pub nearest my house is currently supplying a bottle of wine for £5 if you buy 2 main courses from them and I am assured still makes a profit...

• Stayed: October 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,302)

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I've just finished my 2nd stay in the hotel and it was great. The hotel could do with a lick of paint but it all adds to the character. Food = great, bar prices = great £ 3.85 for a Best (ok I thought as the hotel is in the middle of nowhere). As other reviews have said, the main bonus of this hotel is the unbelievable location and rooms loch view. The location and views are second to none. I will be back for a 3rd visit.

Room Tip: The first time I stayed we paid extra for a room upgrade...don't bother unless you're going...
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

This is a nice hotel in an amazing location. It's a bit olde worlde - not necessarily a bad thing - but has good amenities and a great base for exploring loch rannoch and the surrounding area.

We visited back in the summer and there were problems with staffing, meaning that dinner was particularly problematic .... I won't bore you with the details. We had been really disappointed.

Credit where credit is due however. We wrote to the management and they were very apologetic and really made it up to us. We returned in October and had a really good weekend here. I'd like to think we got unlucky 1st time.

All in, I'd recommend the hotel. The location is amazing and it's worth it for that alone. The road nearby is quiet an I got a couple of great runs done along the loch side on both visits. It's pretty cosy in the lounge area, the food was good and the kids loved the pool. Oh, and a decent selection of malts!

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We visited mid October the great weather, location and staff made up for the disappointing state of the hotel. we had room 108 with a view over the loch and the hills.

This hotel is only three star, so don't expect it to be up to the normal Macdonald's standard. It is in a lovely remote location and appears to have been forgotten by head office when it comes to refurbishment. That being said it has a charm and a nice atmosphere especially in the dining room.

What makes this hotel is its location and the hard working staff, as it appears to be run with the minimum of staff. The food was to a good standard and one of the evening meals we had would have been at home in some of Macdonald's 4-5 star hotels. The menu is the same most nights so if you are staying more than three nights it would get boring. Breakfast was not quite up to what we expect at Macdonald's, with very slow replenishment of the buffet items and clearing of tables. Mainly due to staff inexperience and not enough on duty for breakfast. One example was I had porridge one morning and was half way through it out come our cooked breakfasts, and the water stood looking at me not knowing what to do.

Some of the furniture and decoration in the bedroom and the bar areas needs a little attention or replacing as it is beginning to show its age. With a little bit of refurbishment could be so much better.

But as I have already said its the staff and location that make this hotel, we enjoyed our stay and would return when it has been tided up.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the loch on the higher floors offer good views.
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We were attending a function in Pitlochry so decided to stay overnight at Loch Rannoch. It was a bit of a trek in the dark along a very windy road(almost 20 miles!) but worth the effort. What a beautiful location. Our room had a view straight down Loch Rannoch. Given its remote location, there was absolutely no street noise, so we had a very restful night's sleep. We were able to use the hotel's leisure facilites, which were excellent and we had them all to ourselves! Breakfast too was excellent and cooked to order. Our only regret was that we hadn't decided to stay another night and to explore the countryside around the hotel a little more.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

A nice hotel in a very remote area. Staff very helpful with train times, weather reports, local walks and places to visit. The room nice warm and comfortable. The pool and sauna were wonderful after a day walking. Good food too!! Overall a great stay.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Where to start....

Front of house- friendly all good so far.

Room- yuck! Small, a whole in wall, dirty carpet, no hand soap or shower gel etc. Ancient tiny T.V Smelly (food and stale cigarettes even though it's a non smoking hotel??) told reception about smell and lack of soap to be informed I "already had these in my room". Trust me I didn't go downstairs to complain about this when I already had these...

Bar- old and dated, not in a good quaint way in a really...!! you've not spent anything on this in at least 10 years way. One barmaid for bar and lounge so the poor girl was trying to split herself between these fairly, unfortunately that meant people were moaning on both bars waited about 20mins for first round and there was only 3 people in front of me. On second round I was informed she was also doing room service...Really? was it a surprise all these people were staying in your hotel? Didn't they reserve rooms therefor you knew they were coming?

Pool and gym - was all ok and I mean ok. Was not given a key for locker so had to pop my stuff in and just hope it was all there when I got out. Really grubby though, floors were kind of slimy around the outside of the pool flip flops were required. Shower area grate was broken and taped up. I informed reception about the lack of key she seemed uninterested and unapologetic.

Restaurant- was actually very good! I know I sound surprised! Very pricey though 2 steaks 1 coke and 1 beer £75. So you be the judge of that we all have different opinions of what's expensive and what's not.

I don't expect anyone form Mcdonald to actually see/read this or care to be honest, but hey you never know!

On a positive note the scenery was beautiful as was the weather, but, for £180 per night trust me we'll NEVER return and if I were you I'd consider elsewhere, it's Scotland there plenty of lochs and beautiful scenery and MUCH better hotels!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
#10 of 17 in Pitlochry
Dunkeld House Hotel
Dunkeld House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Dunkeld

Been to Macdonald Loch Rannoch Hotel? Share your experiences!