“Good food, helpful staff but slow service”
Review of The Spittal of Glenshee Hotel - CLOSED

The Spittal of Glenshee Hotel
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed back in February and we had booked the Hotel last minute in order to take advantage of good snow fall.
We were wuite shocked when we arrived as it was very quiet and the interior was quite run down. We ordered and sat waiting for our meal which did take some time to arrive, we knew it would be slow as there were very feew staff around.
I will say however the food was good and tasty, the Fish & Chips were very good, just a shame the service was slow.

1  Thank William P

Reviewed 3 January 2014

So sorry to write this brief review. It is brief as we had planned on eating and drinking here, based on previous very good experiences in this little place, however on entry we reduced our expectations to coffees only however we ended up giving up on this as well. Oh dear! A pleasant man seemed to be the sole member of staff, serving at the bar, taking orders, clearing tables and dealing with residents' queries. There were not great numbers in the restaurant however there were too many for one person to manage successfully. Tables were dirty, the floor was in a terrible mess with food and litter, the only coffee available was filter and the faces of most people seated around the area reflected our own great disappointment. We left after a lengthy wait and no service. I have been to this cafe/bar/restaurant many times in years past and it has been a lovely fun stop following winter sports on the slopes, with the roaring fire to cosy in front of, great banter at the bar, parlour games being played and lots of good food and home bakes. I don't know what has happened to the place... a landslide downhill! I just hope this was a one off bad day and not the standard that is the norm now. For such a pretty, quirky little corner of the world this place could be so much more. I cannot comment on the rooms for hire but if they are anything like the cafe/bar is nowadays, I would pay not to stay there. We are planning a return trip to Glen Shee in a month or so and might look in again so I will re-post if there are any notable improvements.

3  Thank Sonia M