“Amazing location, great views, shame about the ants!!!”

Palace Hotel San Michele
Oslo, Norway
“Amazing location, great views, shame about the ants!!!”
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I stayed here for four nights for a field trip to the Gargano area, there really are some amazing rocks out there, and was firslty struck by its location. At the top of a hill in Monte Sant'Angelo, it really could not be better placed, and the views from all the communal areas were stunning.

Staff speak little English, and I was thankful for our Italian collegaue, but the booked us in realtvely quickly. The rooms themselves are basic, shower - which leaked water everywhere, no bath, a bed I thought I would never sleep on as it was so hard, I did sleep very well, and simple furnishings.

Now some reviewers have said the food wasn't great, however I would disagree, I thought the food was excellent. Not a great choice, actually a non-existent choice for vegetarians, but the fish was really good, especially the fish I had baked in a salt crust, amazing just about covers it! Desserts were disappointing, but I then opted for fruit after the first night, as there was just too much food. Breakfast was continental and although simple, I have no complaints.

Even though we were there the second week of May, it is still considered out of season, and as such the pool was still empty. Which is a shame as the pool area is probably quite lovely when it doesn't look like a building site.

My only issues with the hotel was firstly seeing ants in my room, both in the bathroom and the bedroom. Not more than maybe 25-50 over the four days, but its not something you want to see in any room. I maybe should have complained but I never got round to it as I was in my room so little. Secondly there was a lack of balconies, which when a hotel is in such an amazing location I was surprised at. My room opened up into a shadowy courtyard about 5-10 m opposite another room.

I think it is a great location though and the terrace was a perfect place to sit and have a drink after a long day.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Hebrew first
italy/belgium
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I stayed at the palace Hotel San Michele for two nights as part of a group tour. The hotel is pleasant and nice and has warm common areas. The rooms are however rather small even if they are pleasant and well furnished. Breakfast was really excellent with a big variety of fresh pastries and cereals. Dinner was pleasant but not outstanding. Some fish looked frozen.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank claudiac67
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Set high on the maintain top of Sant Angelo, this big hotel is full of marble and granite. Friendly staff and (we had) a great room with a balcony. Everything is spacious and has that big spa hotel feel. We didn't see a spa and the pool was closed. The hotel is right across the square from the old UNESCO castle. Also pretty good.

We were too tired to go out and look for a restaurant so we stayed in.

Bad move! The set menu was bland and we didn't enjoy the meal ... Most people just seemed to gulp it down and go back to their rooms. Breakfast was unimaginative. Not even the usual fruit salad, boiled eggs or toast.

Apart from the food, no complaints at all. WiFi was free but range was poor so you had to pick where you worked.

Room Tip: The rooms with a balcony looking over the Adriatic are excellent.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chris A
Muelheim an der Ruhr, Germany
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Nice hotel with a wonderful view over the Gulf of Manfredonia. It is a good departure for trips around the Gargano area. There's a new and luxurious spa and wellness area. I made good experiences with the nice and helpful staff, for example when I had forgotten my passport at the airport. They helped me to resolve the problem and to get my passport back. From my point of view it is a highly recommendable hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 2 September 2011

We stayed for 2 nights here on half board. Our room was fine, though the air conditioning unit appeared to be struggling and the balcony had a splendid view over the Gulf of Manfredonia - this was very enjoyable after the throng of pilgrims had left the town in the late afternoon.

I have to say that the service at the hotel was a little casual, and food in the restaurant was pretty ordinary at best. Breakfast on the second morning was a scrum with a coach load of pilgrims battling over the buffet with waiters struggling to cope.

Having said all that, we still enjoyed ourselves and the hotel did make a suitable base for touring the beautiful Gargano Peninsula.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Greenwood, Indiana
Reviewed 23 June 2011

We stayed here as a part of a parish pilgrimage. The hotel is located just a few blocks from the Grotto where St Michael appeared to the bishop and told him to use the grotto for worshiping God. The hotel has a stunning overlook with the Adriatic below and mountains about. The food was excellent and the rooms large, clean and very comfortable.
The only negative was when I leaned against a towel rack and broke the bracket. I reported it to the desk (I'm an honest guy, what can I say) kind of expecting them to say "Such things happen!" Instead they soaked me $75 for a new towel rack. Now, I did the deed - - - but I could have fixed t in 30 minutes with a drill and a few screws.
Kind of a negative end to what otherwise would have been a perfect hotel stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 14 August 2009

We wanted to see the natural beauty of the Gargano Peninsula and searched a long time to decide where to stay. We picked the right town and the right hotel. Monte Sant'Angelo is a real place. It isn't a beach town or a show town, it is genuine and packed with atmosphere, cultural sights, and great places to eat.
The Palace Hotel San Michele is in a perfect location at the top of the town, within easy walk of all the sights. The rooms are business-modern but very comfortable and the complex is quite spiffy. The feel, though, is a bit functional rather than charming. However, the views from the rooms out over the cliffs are spectacular, and the facilities do have every comfort. As mentioned by others, the staff are a bit pushy and not overly kind, but once it is clear that you are not planning on spending all of your time at the hotel, they are able to help orient you to the town and are very helpful in recommending where to eat and explore.
If you want to have a base for a day or two in the Gargano, stay here and enjoy.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
#5 of 9 in Mattinata
Gattarella Resort
Gattarella Resort
#6 of 67 in Vieste

Been to Palace Hotel San Michele? Share your experiences!