All reviews lovely town no lift business trip car park mince pies lamb ample parking very pleasant stay comfy bed potatoes large room bar area stayed here for one night sunday lunch somerset ballroom meal
Reviewed 9 October 2018

Had lunch here recently, sadly the meat part of the meal was inedible, tough as old boots. When challenged the manager disagreed. The sad thing is this used to be a nice place to dine, no longer so I am afraid.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Paul D
Reviewed 13 September 2018

While passing through Somerset heading to Devon we came across the Shrubbery Hotel in a Market Town called Ilminster. On first impressions from the outside it looked like a quant little country hotel on the side of the road.
How wrong were we, the hotel has many different lounge areas and a great bar? They have a very large what looked like a conference or party room located to the rear at the time of our visit it seemed to be either a wake or family party going on.

On arrival the reception staff were very helpful and directed us through to the bar area where we could get some lunch. We could see it was very busy and expected to be delayed, the 2 Staff in the bar area Josh and Simon explained all about the limited menu, some kind of kitchen refurbishment going on and could not do enough to make us feel welcome. Our snacks arrived very quickly, the Burger is amazing, and my wife had the liver & bacon an old favourite you rarely see anymore.

If you are looking for a quick bite to eat, or coffee break its perfect. We will be returning when we head back north and if we find ourselves in the area again perhaps we will even stay.

If I had to give a slight negative even though the car park is extensive we did struggle to park at the rear of the hotel, due to the other party going on. Looking forward to our return visit.

Date of stay: August 2018
3  Thank John S
Reviewed 11 August 2018

Hotel is beautiful staff is lovely nothing to much trouble for them. Our room was amazing the only down side is that there isn't enough rooms with showers only. I had a lot of stairs to climb to our room even though I am registered disabled I am not wheelchair bound. But all the stairs to climb was hard, especially with my leg being so bad... The really bad bit we didn't like the food the breakfast was swimming in grease and our meal the potatoes were rock hard on the out side if they had hit anyone it would have killed them and the meat was tuff.. The plates were cold so made the meal go cold quick. Pleased we were at the back of the hotel as the road is very busy

Room tip: we had room 17 it was lovely
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacquiwoodward
Reviewed 27 July 2018

Good parking. Warm welcome. Helpful staff. Clean room/bathroom.We stayed for just one night during the hottest summer in years and (understandably) needed to have the window open at night. The hotel is situated on a slight hill, and the cars tend to drop a gear when heading into town. I slept through it all, but my wife found the noise intolerable.
Recommend booking a quieter room at the back of the hotel - where the views are slightly better as well. But you may then be disturbed by events at the hotelm (e.g. weddings)
Limited menu in the evening. Breakfast was a big disappointment - barely suntanned sausage with my full breakfast, and undercooked poached eggs swimming in a pool of water on my wife's plate. Plated up in the kitchen with a shallow ladle instead of a draining spoon? We were left to our own devices, so there was nobody to complain to.
In summary: the accommodation and front of house staff were good, but the food was mediocre

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2018

I recently ran a training course here for a group of 75 people. It was a hot and clammy evening. The hall had been well laid out with ample decent seating and, with the doors open at either end, a cooling breeze was allowed to flow through making a hot, sticky evening refreshingly comfortable. Ample parking was also a bonus.

Date of stay: July 2018