All reviews lovely hotel lovely town no lift short walk into town business trip lamb room was large lounge area ample parking very pleasant stay potatoes comfy bed large portions sunday lunch west country stayed here for one night somerset
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We were upgraded to Room 7. Very nice room with 4 poster bed, settee and huge double bathroom. If they had a better chef it could easily get 5 stars. The breakfast was all precooked and kept warm. The fried egg was served swimming in grease. Lots of people were complaining at dinner that the menu was the same for the whole week so not much choice.
We only had to stay one night as I was speaking at a conference locally. For one night it was fine.

Room Tip: Room 7 much better than room 8.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

I have just spent 2 nights as part of a short business trip.
The good, the hotel staff are all very helpful and friendly. Breakfast is nice.
The bad. When I arrived my room widow was open and my room was buzzing with flys and insects. They have strangely set meal times that don’t take travelers into account. Evening meals were not worth waiting for and rather poor quality.
The hotel is a very strange mix of styles that make no sense at all, this gives the impression of it being unfinished. If I have an option in the future I probably won’t stay again.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 October 2018

Had lunch here recently, sadly the meat part of the meal was inedible, tough as old boots. When challenged the manager disagreed. The sad thing is this used to be a nice place to dine, no longer so I am afraid.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul D
Reviewed 13 September 2018

While passing through Somerset heading to Devon we came across the Shrubbery Hotel in a Market Town called Ilminster. On first impressions from the outside it looked like a quant little country hotel on the side of the road.
How wrong were we, the hotel has many different lounge areas and a great bar? They have a very large what looked like a conference or party room located to the rear at the time of our visit it seemed to be either a wake or family party going on.

On arrival the reception staff were very helpful and directed us through to the bar area where we could get some lunch. We could see it was very busy and expected to be delayed, the 2 Staff in the bar area Josh and Simon explained all about the limited menu, some kind of kitchen refurbishment going on and could not do enough to make us feel welcome. Our snacks arrived very quickly, the Burger is amazing, and my wife had the liver & bacon an old favourite you rarely see anymore.

If you are looking for a quick bite to eat, or coffee break its perfect. We will be returning when we head back north and if we find ourselves in the area again perhaps we will even stay.

If I had to give a slight negative even though the car park is extensive we did struggle to park at the rear of the hotel, due to the other party going on. Looking forward to our return visit.

Stayed: August 2018
3  Thank John S
Reviewed 11 August 2018

Hotel is beautiful staff is lovely nothing to much trouble for them. Our room was amazing the only down side is that there isn't enough rooms with showers only. I had a lot of stairs to climb to our room even though I am registered disabled I am not wheelchair bound. But all the stairs to climb was hard, especially with my leg being so bad... The really bad bit we didn't like the food the breakfast was swimming in grease and our meal the potatoes were rock hard on the out side if they had hit anyone it would have killed them and the meat was tuff.. The plates were cold so made the meal go cold quick. Pleased we were at the back of the hotel as the road is very busy

Room Tip: we had room 17 it was lovely
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple