“.....Just for the blueberry pancakes” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old Court

The Old Court
Ranked #2 of 2 Temple Cloud B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“.....Just for the blueberry pancakes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I usually stay in larger chain hotels but fancied a change... and I wont change back.

Nancy (the little southern belle), was fantastic and nothing was a problem. I asked to change rooms as I didnt check what room I had booked upon booking via hotels.com. Then came the breakfast choice for the following morning. Even the ice water was perfect tempreture. I asked for a 9am and went for the American breakfast, I want to go back tomorrow just for the Blueberry pancakes.

The room (Magistrates) was very cosy with a VERY comfortable bed and certainly enough space. The shower was very powerful and clean.

I needed strong wifi for work and it didnt fail unlike some larger hotel chains.

Overall The Old Court was great with a very homly feel. Next time I am in Bristol I am sure to be rebookng with Nancy.

Room Tip: If you want Wifi dont book the Jail but it is certainly a great experience to have a night in one.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RobbieHerrick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Having been tasked with organising my sisters hen do we picked the old
Court due to the location, number of rooms and unusual nature. We were not disappointed ! - although quirky, and unusual in its layout - it was the perfect venue ! Loads of space, jacuzzi and sauna, all rooms well appointed, bathrooms all good, living areas spacious. Nancy who we dealt with in booking was incredibly helpful and flexible. We arranged breakfast for Sunday morning to be catered which was great. Also very much recommend the pony & trap pub nearby which was fantastic for dinner, and hamburger hill for activities . All 22 of us loved the old court - and would certainly recommend it for private hire

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Debbie097
Lee-on-the-Solent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We were given a voucher as a gift and opted to use it on a "unique place to stay". The Old Court certainly is that! - very quirky and interesting. Nancy made us so welcome - nothing was too much trouble & we were able to have a look around all the intriguing rooms, nooks and crannies. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Magistrates room - very comfy and although we sleep with windows open and the Old C...
essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed for two nights. Nancy was very welcoming, nothing was too much trouble. Matt was equally attentive in ensuring that our stay was enjoyable. We stayed in the Judge's room, which was very comfortable and quiet. If you like big chain hotels - don't stay here! If you like something a little different, give it a try - we had a great time.

Hornchurch, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and were pleased to find that we had been upgraded to a larger room. Nancy, our hostess, was delightful and she immediately made us feel very welcome, with no request being too much trouble.
Breakfast was served in the original courtroom - with high beams, large windows and a stunning grand piano. The food was good and it was nice to chat to other guests around a large dining table. There were copious amounts of tea and coffee and we never felt rushed.

A wander around the building is essential as the house is a wonderful maze of rooms and staircases. All the bedrooms are different, with lots of quirky features from the original court house - so make sure you look in as many of them as you can! An essential walk is from the court room to the cells down a bare stone staircase which readily stimulates images of criminals in manacles! In comparison, the main staircase to the court room in wide, airy and wood panelled - reflecting the extremes between gentry and commoners at that time.

In the garden were two other residents of the Old Court - the most enormous and ridiculously soft dogs that could possibly be imagined! Clearly they were kept outside, away from guests who may have been wary of such big dogs, but I have never before come across more loveable giant teddy bears !

If you are looking for a B+B which is clinically clean and devoid of character, then this is not for you. We were totally bowled over by the atmosphere of the place and we would definitely return.

Room Tip: The cells seemed rather small and the novelty may wear off after more than one night.
Rochester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Nancy and John made us very welcome in their lovely, quirky and unique guest house. If you want Holiday Express I suggest go to Holiday Express (=dull). The breakfasts were top quality and the house oozes charm with plenty of unexpected little twists and turns..and a concert grand Steinway to die for in the beautiful victorian courthouse.

Room Tip: All the rooms have their own character- the ones not facing the road are quieter
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed Sept 2013, we had a voucher to use and decided out of all the available venues this was the place we wanted to stay.

Great hospitality, we were given a choice to upgrade to a bigger room as the room we were due to have had some maintenance requirements. We were informed of this before our visit at no extra charge to us.

We were recommended dinner nearby inside a train carriage, (unfortunately cant remember the name of this now) however location was perfect for us to visit places nearby and it was an area we had not been to before. Food was excellent.

The only downside was the parking, by the time we arrived after visiting places, the spaces had gone in the hotel parking section and we were then parking outside the hotel on a side road which for me wasnt ideal. I like to have my car in a proper parking space but thats me.

Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 6 in Norton St Philip
Cameley Lodge
Cameley Lodge
#1 of 2 in Temple Cloud

Been to The Old Court? Share your experiences!