“Mostly brilliant”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton Broad
lowestoft
“Mostly brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I came into the wherry on sunday meal was lovely The girls in restaurant were doing a great job! I understand it wasn't a nice day for staff to work it was hot and sticky,but i do not like the way the lad on the desserts spoke to me in front of my children he was very rude and seemed like he didn't want to explain the desserts to me,if it is such an issue to explain the desserts and the way to collect them then maybe he shouldn't off been there!!

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

12 of us came here for food and mooring whilst on our boating holiday. my friend had the carvery, which with a paying adult a child in a high chair got to eat for free which was good for my son. My friend said the carvery was ok but there wasn't much veg choice and it wasn't worth the 6.99 (she is very fussy though). The rest of us ate from the menu and there was mixed reviews from all of us. One of us had the chicken tikka and she said it was awful. I had the hunters chicken and I couldn't fault it. The desserts were really good and I would recommend the chocolate melt pudding. They also did really nice cocktails and I would recommend the pina colada and they were fair priced at 4.95 (although some of them where pretty strong) I would eat here again if I was in the area but I'm not sure the rest of my group would.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Just a few words to say what a great time I had at The Wherry Hotel on my recent stay.
The bedroom was comfortable, clean and up to date, with a fine panoramic view across Oulton Broad. The room also had fully draped blackout curtains, to ensure a peaceful night's sleep. The adjoining bathroom too was clean, with a fully adjustable shower.
The breakfast buffet was wonderful. Full English or continental style, you can choose as much or as little as you want and was very tasty, sets you up for the day. All hotel staff were courteous and helpful.
Located overlooking Oulton Broad, the hotel is approx 3-5min walk from Oulton Broad North railway station and 5-8min walk from Oulton Broad South railway station, which is very convenient, if like me you want to travel and explore The Broads/East Anglia by train.
Overall very enjoyable stay and would happily return again.

Room Tip: If you are willing to pay a bit extra, choose a room overlooking Oulton Broad
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jonathan t
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here for one night last weekend.
We had a "deluxe" room.
Sorry but not sure what was deluxe about it? It looked out over the car park, was not very big, was hot as you could only open the window a few inches and noisy from late night party goers wandering past on their way home. The bathroom however was a good size and clean and tidy.

The food was ok, husband had the carvery, which is quiet good value. I had fish & chips, I asked to change from vegetables to salad , this was done with no problem.

Breakfast was not wonderful, as it is kept warm from being cooked earlier. It seems lots of locals use this as a breakfast restaurant so it is not just residents that are being catered for.

Would have been great to sit outside as it was a beautiful evening but the bench type tables are not comfortable for this.

Would we go back.......it is convenient for our needs but we will look at other locations next time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SUNTAN47
Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed here for one night. We booked late as we heard that some friends were staying there and got the last available room. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable but the room overlooked the roof and the noise from the A/C unit made sleeping difficult. There was a large velux window which when opened meant it was noisy and when closed the room was far too hot. We had dinner which was OK but not fine dining and not good value for money unless you had the carvery. The girls on reception were very pleasant and helpful, especially when the lift got stuck (twice) but i cannot say the same about all the bar staff. We were amazed to be told just after 22.30 on a Saturday that it was last orders and if we wanted another drink we would have to buy it now! As it happened we did not require more drinks but as residents felt it was inappropriate and unreasonable.
I have been to this hotel many times before but I rather feel that it is trading on its position on the broad and some of the care and basic customer service is sadly lacking.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the broad are lovely but you will pay for the view. Room 201 has A/C noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathryn C
MiltonKeynes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We had an evening meal and a breakfast, in the evening the two ladies had a carvery and me an order from the menu, service was very fast, the food was good and prices ok, there were never less than 30 people in the queue but such was the efficiency of the place that waiting was a minimum, this is maybe one of the most efficient eating places I have ever visited and whoever organizes all this are clearly are clearly at the top of their game.

In the morning we went back for breakfast, pay up and help yourself, hotel style, food good and as it was self serve you could have what you wanted and as much as you want, prices for this were we felt pretty good and we will definitely return there if we go back again, pity they don't run a similar business here.

It was very crowded in the evening but was still easy to find seating with only about a 10 minute delay, the food is good, the prices are reasonable, the staff were pleasant and helpful and the whole ambiance is pleasant, top notch, well done, this is how it should be done but in England is so often not so. From the number of customers using the carvery in the evening its clear their fame has spread and they deserve it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I had a friend visiting and we decided to go to the wherry for a drink and calvery as it's such a beautiful location. .. we drove down and parked in the spacious almost empty
carpark... we both decided to drink alcohol and get a cab home.. we thought we should just mention this to the barman... he said.. you cant leave your car here overnight. .. when we questioned why this was a problem he said we could park in HIS CARPARK for a fee of £10... I felt this was unreasonable as we had eaten and were continuing to drink.. he told us we should of walked if we wanted to drink.. I recently had surgery on my ankle and this was not possible. ..he said we should of got a taxi... he was so rude!! I asked him what would happen if we just left it there... he told us at 8am the staff go out and clamp them with a release fee of £50... at this point I said fine as I am fully aware a clamping company needs to be registered with the council and this clearly was not the case...
Firstly if it was indeed his carpark and he owned the hotel... he is very privileged to have such a business at such a young age ..secondly if this was a barman... I suggest he is taught better customer service. ..on a plus the calvery was lovely

• Stayed June 2014
#8 of 9 in Lowestoft
The Brudenell Hotel
The Brudenell Hotel
#2 of 4 in Aldeburgh

Been to Wherry Hotel? Share your experiences!