“Great food and great service”
Review of The Dolphin Inn

The Dolphin Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Thorpeness B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I am an 11 year-old who eats regularly at the dolphin. Every time I eat I here I order the full English breakfast specially made for me. It is absolutely delicious.

The staff who work at the dolphin are extremely welcoming and helpful. They can never do enough for anyone in my family and I would definitely recommend this pub to all of the other people who come to thorpeness.

• Stayed: March 2010

Reviewed 22 February 2011

Very decent pub accommodation at lovely location. Staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms spacious, well furnished and scrupulously clean. Hearty and tasty breakfast. We have a young daughter and don't often stay in pubs, as in many pubs the rooms tend to be very noisy for obvious reasons. The Dolphin Inn obviously gets a more civilised crowd, as the noise was a lot less than we were expecting - even when the evening was in full swing.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Spending time at the Dolphin is like stepping back 50 years - in all the right ways. The atmosphere is that of a genuine, 'non contrived' village pub (with great food as an added bonus), the pace is calm, the service is impeccable and friendly; you are readily welcomed as a member of the Dolphin 'family. This coupled with the charm of the location, at the heart of the quite unique village of Thorpeness, means that this is a gem in every sense of the word. In fact its such a wonderful place that II wonder if I should be giving away any more of its secrets - the fact that the Dolphin is quite unspolit is perhaps its greatest selling point.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 December 2010

Whenever i travel i like to stay at small pubs/B&B's . I am happy to say i'll be coming back here. David is a very welcoming and accomodating host. He was always happy to assit in any way make my stay more comfortable, which was appreciated. i particulary enjoyed the guest beers over my stay, 'rusty bucket' was especially good! The room was clean, comfortable and pretty well furbished with Tv, kettle etc. I also tried the food, the steak was perfectly medium cooked- so often overdone. i'll be back!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Westisbest1
Reviewed 5 December 2010

We have just returned from a fantastic weekend break at The Dolphin Inn. The service from the whole team was brilliant from the moment we walked in. The room (no. 2) was spacious, clean and very comfortable. There's a wide range of local ales to choose from and this, coupled with the roaring log fire in the bar, made it perfect for the cold winter evenings. Finally, but by no means least, the food was absolutely exceptional. The huge breakfasts set us up for the day ahead and meant we didn't need to eat again before dinner in the evening! Chris the chef is a star and does an amazing job. To top it all, he even gave us a jar of his chutney when we said how good it was!! Thank you to David and ALL your team. We are already planning our next visit!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thorpeness24
Reviewed 1 November 2010

We have just stayed in the village for a family weekend (14 of us) and on arrival around 2pm we went into the pub for drinks until our accomodation was ready which would have been around 4pm, however the pub closes at 3pm and it was obvious there could be no exception made and we were virtually thrown out. And again later the arrogant manager/landlord refused 4 of our party entry at 10pm on the saturday evening even though the closing time was clearly stated as 11pm and there were still people drinking in the bar.... the manager wouldnt even open the door and was very rude stating THEY WERE CLOSED !!! (nothing more than that,no conversation) Needless to say the lunch that we had booked for the sunday was promptly cancelled and our money was spent at a lovely village pub near Leiston who couldnt do enough for us.... what a contrast just a few miles down the road. !!! We will not be visiting this pub again neither be recommending to any of our friends.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Davidthorpeness, Owner at The Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2010

First off I would like to say that I am sorry you did not have a great experience at the Dolphin, however, although we are open all day every day during the summer during the winter we shut down at 3.00pm and then open again at 6.00pm.Simple reason, there is no one about late in the afternoon and as explained at the time the barman(not owner or manager) had to to take the waiteresses and kitchen staff home.I am confident readers would understand that as you could not give us an indication of when your guests where expected or did not organise this before hand the barperson had a good reason to ask you to finish up and we are not unique in closing our restaurant and pub in the afternoon.There is also a very good hotel just up the road from us that is open all day and night and I think I must be clear that the accommodation you were waiting for was not ours.
I believe your colleagues came in after the barman had called "last round" and was busy doing the cash up while waiting for the last of the locals to finish up.It was Halloween night, this was evident by the clothes they wore and your guests seemed to already have had a good evening. The barperson, who is anything but arrogant, made a judgement call and I stand by it. Again I am sorry that as you only got to know us for an hour during your entire stay in Thorpeness, I believe you have the wrong impression of us as since taking over the Dolphin and later the local store, we have worked extremely hard on placing ourselves in the heart of the village, it surely doesn't pay us to be rude or arrogant to our customers.I do hope that when you are next in the area, you pop into the Dolphin Inn again and hopefully you will enjoy the experience.

Reviewed 14 September 2010

I recently visited the Dolphin for lunch with my other half and my 3 year old son. What a great place. We're fairly new to the area and live in Ipswich so took a spontaneous trip to the coast towards the end of the school holidays. We spotted the Dolphin and thought we'd give it a go, they have a lovely varied menu, something for everyone and to suit our budget. I have a wheat and dairy intolerance and they were more than happy to create me something that wasn't on the menu but was equally tasty and mouth watering. The sprawling garden kept my little one entertained and there was even colouring books and toys inside. Although it was a very busy Saturday lunchtime the service was efficent and friendly and the food was fantastic. This place is a gem and we will be back very soon!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank flossyaj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thorpeness
Thorpeness Golf Club & Hotel
#1 of 1 in Westleton
The Ship at Dunwich
The Ship at Dunwich
#1 of 1 in Dunwich

Been to The Dolphin Inn? Share your experiences!