“Relaxed atmosphere & great coffee!”
Review of The Mess - CLOSED

The Mess
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 September 2013

OK - a sudden rush of people can result in the service being a bit slow ... but we were on holiday! The coffee was excellent - the know how to make cappucinos! The cream scone special was good value and we loved the vintage shop at the back. Newspapers & magazines to read were a bonus and so we lingered and had lunch - good value and very tasty sandwiches with local ingredients. All in all a great find!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I visited Thorpeness's newest cafe, The Mess, twice this weekend and was delighted by the laid-back atmosphere, very cool decor, and delicious daily changing lunch menus. We tried the shell-on smoked prawns, fish pate, big sourdough sandwiches and Aldeburgh crab with avocado and everything was fresh, incredibly tasty and beautifully presented. Prices range from about £5 for a sandwich and up to £9.50 for a lunch plate of crab, salad, bread etc. The portions are large and great value considering The Mess have thought of every last detail - local Thorpeness salad leaves, little pots of salad dressing, dipping pots of local Hillfarm mayo (delicious!), and finger bowls for those shelling prawns! Ice cold Aspall's cider and white wine was on hand to wash it all down with and we also tried the Monmouth coffee being served at the cafe. Lovely! Our only minor complaints were the terrace at the front of the cafe is mostly gravel and the chairs and tables aren't very comfortable on the stones, and, also, the service was quite slow to clear plates and cups etc away when the cafe was busy so we can to do it ourselves. The staff are really very friendly and invited us to the launch that evening - it sounded like a great event and I really hope the cafe will bring Thorpeness to life a little in the evenings! We'll be visiting again soon :-)

Reviewed 1 September 2013

The Mess is a new ,small and enterprising cafe that aims high and is doing well, coping with the sudden influx of visitors that flood the town in the summer.
On our visit the food was excellent, salt beef sandwiches and smoked fish salad absolutely fresh and well presented and prepared, interesting soft drink and great coffee.The prices are certainly higher end but for that we though we were getting good quality real food, locally sourced and very tasty.Service was charming if a little hesitant and slow.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I have been visiting Suffolk over the weekend and found myself in Thorpeness this Sunday morning. I can only say what a fantastically great experience I had at the Mess. The place was just right...great ambience, friendly staff who new how to make the most elusive thing in the world - a perfect espresso and the bacon sandwiches were pretty good to. Thank you to all of you at the Mess and I will definitely be back and will recommend to all my friends.

Jim Johnson

Reviewed 31 August 2013

I am surprised to see why this wonderful little cafe has received some negative feedback! We found our experience there brilliant - fresh food and simply stunning coffee including gluten free cake! It is not a place where you wait 30 seconds to get a horrible weak coffee or a reheated sausage roll from the day before like so many of the other cafe's around the area. You pay for fresh high quality.
I thought the staff were very polite and helpful and I very much look forward to my next visit.