All reviews golf course golf break pro shop snooker room great golf rowing boat round of golf superior room twin beds boating lake room was large average hotel suffolk coast dinner menu kippers poached eggs main building
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Just returned home from a one night break at Thorpeness on the DBB plus two games of golf . Fantastic Course as usual - a true test of golf ability for all golfers . Food was really good . Bar was excellent and value for money. The only disappointment was the snooker room being closed , but that aside an excellent golfing break .

Room tip: If there is a group of you - try to get Braid Lodge near the pro shop - great view of the 1st/3rd tee .
Date of stay: November 2018
Reviewed 8 October 2018

Don't get court out with meal supplement I had to pay extra on one meal £17.00
golf hard have to keep on fairways to score , rooms ok bar ok .lost 8 balls first round low score second round 1 ball and good score greens fast

Room tip: don't get court out by supplement charges
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Brad_McLean, General Manager at Thorpeness Golf Club & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2018

Dear Alan,
All of our golf package menus clearly state which dishes incur a supplement, such as the fillet steak or Chateaubriand for example, and our menus include many options that do not incur supplements at all such as the flat iron steak as well as all of our chicken, fish and pork dishes. You also would have been asked to sign to agree to the supplemental charge, at which time you could have changed your meal choice for one of the many dishes that do not incur a supplement. I do apologise if you did not see this on the menu or it was not made clear what you were signing, as we most certainly do not look to catch guests out.
It is disappointing that you felt a score of 1 is reflective of the overall experience you had over the two days on our top 100 golf course but I thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 28 September 2018

We were not staying at the GC but at a property just down the road. We came and had an enjoyable plate of sandwiches and a game on Jiggers, their new mini golf course and we booked to go to the restaurant on the 28th to celebrate our wedding anniversary. However in the evening of the 27th as it was my birthday we decided to relax in the bar and have a drink and a bar meal. My wife ordered a lasagne and I ordered a seafood platter. Despite the fact the place was 3/4 empty we waited over 45 mins for our food to arrive... a very dried up lasagne which was in a tin bowl too big for it being so dried up and a plate full of limp salad and a very small platter of fish that didnt warrant the £16 being charged. We dont like to complain but when asked if the meal was ok we had to say something.. and the apology was would we like a glass of wine??? We asked for a refund of the lasagne which we eventually got... we had to wait whilst other customers were sorted out. Needless to say we didnt bother with the restaurant booking if this was the standard of food in the evening. The 40 minute wait was an eye opener though hearing guests there complaining about trying to have a shower and having no water pressure and the lack of privacy with another guest looking straight into another's window. Even though Jiggers is a nice place with a lot of money spent on it.. perhaps other things should have taken priority. We'll be returning to thorpeness.. but not back to here

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter B
Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

Was there for a special occasion by my partner. Great value for two games of golf bed and dinner included. It’s a extremely lovely area and worth a visit to see the house in the clouds and the Aldeburgh coast line and town. Wonderful! The staff were extremely accommodating and friendly. The hotel was friendly clean and the food was good and well presented. Only issue I had was when I ordered a bottle of wine, I like to see it opened in front of me. That said the hostess was professional and did as I requested. So fair play! Overall a place I would go back too when I need a break. Overall very charming!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edward W
Reviewed 23 September 2018

A large group of us visited the hotel recently and had a marvellous time. The size and standard of the rooms are superb. The menu for dinner and breakfast were excellent and the staff couldn't have been more pleasant or helpful. Brad and his team go a great job.

Room tip: The larger rooms seem to be in the annex on the lower ground floor