“one of the better ones” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
De Vere Horsley Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Horsley
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“one of the better ones”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

After turning up a day later than we had booked due to our own stupidity, we were still given a very warm welcome and booked into a room regardless of being there a day late. The reception staff could not have been more helpful, The hotel was warm clean, endless coffee from the coffee station friendly bar along with swimming pool and a pool table. Close enough to Guildford for shopping.Good choice.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael M, General Manager at De Vere Horsley Estate, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear maxinebonta
Thank you for your recent review - glad we overcame the small hurdle and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Telford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We have stayed here before and always found this hotel to be most satisfactory. However, on this occasion, the hotel was very busy and so we were allocated a room in an annexe that we had not previously known had existed. We arrived very late at night and found the room was cold, the bed coverings were not enough, the bathroom had black mould in the corners, and the windows blinds did not work meaning that they let in all the light from the outside lights. Worst was to come as we soon realised that water was constantly running down pipes in the wall and so any sleep at all was out of the question. I was moved to the last empty (single) room at 2.30pm but my husband had to endure a whole night of noise. On checking out, the young and inexperienced duty manager informed me that I was 'rude' to complain and that he was not 'personally responsible'. This was the most miserable hotel experience I have ever had and we will never be returning g to De Vere.

Room Tip: Never accept a room in the annexe.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marian C
Dear Marian C
Thank you for your recent review of Horsley Park. I am sorry that your experience of Horsley was poor and that it did not match your expectations, particularly as you had previously stayed with us. The team provided our last let room to you at your request (which was unfortunately a single room) in addition to the first room as your expectation had been of a twin room, which unfortunately we do not have - this further room was provided on a complimentary basis. I am sorry that your husbands night sleep was disturbed, we have checked the room and cannot find any obvious cause for the noise mentioned. Similarly, I am sorry if you felt my team were rude to you, that was neither their intention nor is it their recollection of the conversation that was had.
Kind Regards,

Travellers are raving about these East Horsley hotels

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding but was booked into the conference centre which was lovely but a short walk to the Tower (the walk felt longer than it probably was to me as I was heavily pregnant). For some reason the rest of the wedding party was 'upgraded' to the Tower and had rooms on site but our booking remained in the conference centre; perhaps we booked a different way/rate, who knows. The rooms in the conference centre were more modern by all accounts and much more conveniently located to the breakfast buffet.

Overall it was a nice setting and ticked all the boxes for a large group event like the wedding we attended. I imagine it would work well for conferences or away days also.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Michael M, General Manager at De Vere Horsley Estate, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Leonie
Thank you for your recent review - delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
Best regards,
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I was put in this hotel for an assessment centre last week, the hotel itself is clean, stylish and in a good location.

However I left the hotel in a rush and almost immediately realised that I had left my perfume and some make-up in the room, which were almost brand new and totalled up to £90 worth of goods.

However, since this stay last week each time I call up to ask if they have found the missing items they are unable to help me, each staff member is perfectly polite on the phone and says they will get back to me yet never does... I am 100% certain the items were left in that room and know exactly where, so what does this mean? Has it been taken by the staff? Was the room not checked thoroughly when it was clean allowing the next visitor to take it?

I'm not one to accuse but I have never had this problem before.

This experience has really disappointed me, if a customer leaves something behind in the morning and calls up in the evening they should be able to get them back surely?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Sophie
Thank you for your recent review of Horsley Park and overall comments of the venue. I am sorry that your lost possessions have not been found but I have to say that I am surprised at the tone of your review and the insinuation you make - if you would like to contact me directly I would be more than happy to discuss the issue with you.
Kind Regards
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Arriving in the evening this is not the easiest of hotels to find. Watch the country lanes....
However, once you have arrived it is very very nice! The hotel itself is different and querky. Little tunnels and archways and the surrounding countryside is magnificent. Great to lie in bed and hear horses bray whilst relaxing. Staff were as you would expect from a four star venue. Very good, helpful and knowledgeable.

Ample car parking and a feeling of sumptuousness envelopes you as you take in the entire site. If there was a down side for me it was only that the hotel has two reception areas and when arriving you really don't know which one to check into, until you stop and ask at the first reception area nearest the private drive.

The room whilst not huge was adequate and very clean warm and with all facilities. I would definitely stay here again. Look out for their special offers as the price I paid was extremely good value for money!!

Room Tip: Go for the rooms at the top of the drive.....looking out over countryside.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear plb100
Many thanks for a great review.
Regards,
Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

We usually ask for a quiet room and always seem to get one. The beds are comfy with clean white bedding and the towels are fresh and fluffy. We book when there are offers on, seem to find a reasonable room rate and feel do exceptionally well for what we pay. The breakfast is buffet style with a reasonable choice with the chef cooking delicious omelettes on request.
The rooms are warm but as they are thermostatically controlled it's possible to adjust the temperature. The wardrobe storage area was small but as we weren't "dressing up" the space was adequate.

The staff are polite friendly and helpful.
This particular De Vere hotel has areas where you can relax and help yourself to tea, coffee hot chocolate etc.
On this occassion we didn't use the pool area as we were meeting up with family and were extremely busy.
The grounds are beautiful and worth a stroll round and we'll return again. I rate it as a 3 star which is fine.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Gail
Thank you for your recent review and I hope you enjoyed your overall trip, including the visit to RHS Wisley Gardens, they are magnificent. Only 3 stars ??
Best Regards,
Wetherby
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Horsley Park De Vere hotel is located in a superb country parkland setting, making for very pleasant walks. The main building is a former stately home and looks beautiful for weddngs. Our room was in the conference centre area and was well situated and very quiet at night. Although modern and well equipped, the room was rather small, not a big problem in itself, but the wardrobe opened on to the bedside cabinet and this made it very awkward to reach into. It would have been ok for one night, but we stayed for three nights and it was irksome.
The restaurant served a good choice of food on a buffet basis and everything we tried was delicious, so that we did not bother looking elsewhere for an evening meal. Staff were helpful and informative, and the atmosphere in the restaurant was lively yet relaxing. Well done to the restaurant staff!
We swam twice in the hotel pool. This was of a relatively large size for a hotel and was clean and very pleasant. So it was annoying that the changing rooms were tiny and only adequate for one person at a time. I have never experienced such a minuscule area for getting changed and wonder why there was a need to be so penny-pinching when the pool itself is quite lavish.
Overall, a good hotel but partially spoilt by some small but annoying issues. Have stayed in much better hotels for less money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Elaine
Many thanks for a great review - I have to agree with you and if I could make the changing areas more extensive I certainly would.
Regards
Guildford Harbour Hotel
#5 of 11 in Guildford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,789 reviews
Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel

Been to De Vere Horsley Estate? Share your experiences!