“Excellet value for money”

De Vere Horsley Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Horsley
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I paid about £55 B&B to stay here which was outstanding value for money. I didn't take full advantage of the facilities as I arrived late and left early. If I had to give an opinion on the room I would say it was the equivalent of a good Premier Inn but cheaper.
I'm not a foodie person but do appreciate decent food when I have it and I was impressed by the scrambled eggs of all things at breakfast.
One minor criticism: When you arrive at night and it's pitch dark and you don't know your surroundings, making your way to the reception can be a bit confusing. So listen to what the person tells you on the intercom at the entrance barrier. Also the postcode I entered on my satnav took me up what is now a cul de sac of posh houses. The hotel receptionist told me that this used to be the hotel entrance. It's better to follow the signs rather than the satnav when you get into the village.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BoggyDew
MG_Micallef, General Manager at De Vere Horsley Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear templeorum
Many thanks for your recent review of Horsley Park and overall comments. I would agree with the directional signage and would ask all guests to follow the directions as per our website directions.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Went for a family wedding reception. Wonderful setting, master of ceremonies did a fantastic job, food was great even the Fussiest eaters were sorted out with minimum of faff and fuss. Room where disco was set up was a little warm to be comfortable but there were plenty of places to cool off.

A few little niggles - as a wedding party of over 150 with vast majority booked into hotel I would have thought there would be more than 1 on reception to check people in.
The room we stayed in on 3rd floor was clean except the bathroom which still had other people's hair in. Was in a bit of disrepair with black patches at the bottom of the bath and paint cracking all over.
A little more information in the room would have been nice.
Signage down to the management centre where breakfast was provided for us should have been better. Breakfast was plentiful with loads of different options. Just wish the cooked items had been hotter. We sat on a freshly laid table only to find 3 out of 5 cups hadn't been cleaned properly and still had coffee/tea stains on.

Just a little bit more attention to detail would make a good stay great

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jen F

Dear Jen F
Thank you for your review of Horsley Park. Delighted with your overall comments and will certainly pick up the detail with my team, I absolutely agree that it is hugely important to do so.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Very clean, very corporate, if you have stayed at a De Vere before then you know what to expect here.

Everything is clean, comfortable and designed in my opinion for the business end of the market. Day time seems full of corporate conference types and the evening seems to be those plus business travellers.

You cannot really fault the place, staff were professional, food was good. Would stop again for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank simplemick

Dear simplemick
Many thanks for a great review.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed at the castle, which was very magical. The room was nice (even though the windows had just one glass layer - not good during winter stay I guess).

The location is interesting - around resindential area of wealthy English man. Nice woods where I ran (and get lost).

The food was very good, service was helpfull.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank hraju

Dear hraju
The Towers is indeed a 'magical place' - thank you for your recent review and delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

For £40 a night no one should complain. Front reception staff were very helpful when I arrived. Especially Holly. Really nice bar meal. Breakfasts were quite good but expensive at £10. Asked for a bottle of water to be brought to my room around 3,pm as I had a bad migraine. I kept trying to call but wasn't getting any answers so rang outside number from my mobile. Finally got it at 7.30! This and no bath are the only negatives. For the money very good and also curtesy bus to station. Very much a business hotel but would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank confused555

Dear confused555
Thank you for your recent review of Horsley Park & overall comments - apologies for the delay in getting that request to you.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We found the hotel lacking in directions, both outside and inside. We were initially disappointed by the menu on display for dinner which looked very basic but, when we arrived for our meal, we found it was a buffet and not the waiter service we had expected. (The menu had not specified this.) The choice was excellent - much more variety than had been indicated on the menu - and the food was very good. Breakfast was also very nice, with something for everyone, although we were surprised there were no croissants which we would have liked. Having checked in advance that the hotel had a sauna, our biggest disappointment was to find that, rather than the shared experience we had been looking forward to, the saunas were tiny cubicles in the two changing rooms. The pool was small and could have done with more loungers around it. Luckily, we were checking out on a Sunday so we did not have to be out at 9.00 a.m. which is the weekday checkout time and which seems exceptionally early.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank diamond2607

Dear diamond2607
Thank you for your recent review; I was delighted to read your comments regarding our great food, this is hugely important to us.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I chose to stay here in January simply because I wasn't prepared to pay what I considered to be outrageous prices at the nearby Hilton. The prices on offer here for B&B were, quite literally, half that of the Hilton.

As I'm sure you've already spotted, this is a management training/conference centre and is geared accordingly. It's a sprawling complex and takes a few minutes for you to get your bearings. In fairness, De Vere do provide free-of-charge site plans, so there's little excuse for getting lost.

The venue is clean and well furnished throughout. But, on the day I visited, it seemed as deserted as the Marie Celeste. The staff were polite enough but......functional. No hint of a smile or small-talk. Added to the emptiness of the venue, it felt cold and sterile.

I ate out. So, I can't comment on the restaurant's dinner menu. Breakfast (a buffet) offered something for everyone and was perfectly acceptable.

Despite the reasonably comfortable, well furnished and clean rooms and decent breakfast menu, I'll not be rushing back here anytime soon. For a businessman travelling alone, it was just too cold, too sterile for my liking. It's no fault of the venue: It is what it is. Had I been here as part of a team on a management training course, I think I may have had a totally different perspective.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Duncan_Francis
MG_Micallef, General Manager at De Vere Horsley Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Dear Duncan
Thank you for your recent review and overall comments.
The venue has indeed been a bit quieter this month but as we move into stronger trading months the volume of guests (and hopefully atmosphere) will certainly improve.
Best regards

#5 of 11 in Guildford
Brooklands Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge

Been to De Vere Horsley Estate? Share your experiences!