“Incredible Setting” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Horsley
Peak District National Park, United Kingdom
“Incredible Setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We managed to get a great deal on late rooms of £39 per room. Although it is a conference centre and the rooms reflect this, the setting and the price more than makes up for the simplicity. Horsley Towers is magnificent, our boys, aged 10, 7 and 4 had a wonderful time exploring the grounds and the "castle". The grounds are delightful we spent a wonderful morning with the boys swimming and then playing outside. For the price we paid, an absolute bargain. I am giving this 5 stars because of the setting, the cleanliness, swimming pool, complimentary beverages and the table football. We ate in the restaurant and personally wish we hadn't, the food was expensive and not really that special. But our waitress was great and when all is said and done we paid a reasonable price for the rooms. There was air con in our rooms and the hotel is so quirky it is quite delightful. Good nights sleep and loads to explore. We would definitely stay again, but would eat elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ruth s
MG_Micallef, General Manager at De Vere Horsley Estate, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Ruth
Thank you for your recent review of Horsley Park & overall constructive feedback.
Best Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
West Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

.......and this was our third visit. We had a wonderful walk on the North Downs just up the road and then checked in. Reception staff were friendly and helpful and check in was easy.

We decided to have some bar food as the cup final was on and it was delicious - especially the sweet potato soup with onion bhaji - a great combination. The grounds are lovely and on the last two occasions we've gone into the "big house" and had a wander as it's beautiful (especially the chapel) as is the lake.

We opted for breakfast this time as we were going on to Polesden Lacy and though it would keep us going - and it certainly did. Lovely fruits, yoghurts, cooked breakfast and pastries. Yummy.

The complimentary coffees/hot chocs and cookies are the icing on the cake for this lovely place.

2 Thank FairsWestSussex
Dear Guest
Many thanks for a great review on your 3rd visit to Horsley Park - much appreciated.
Best Regards,
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

This hotel is surrounded by lovely grounds, checked in smoothly enough and had booked a dinner bed and breakfast deal on the internet, however in future I would only book room only at this hotel. Checked into the room which was very compact, very little space for my partner and I to move around the room, no bath in the bathroom, just a really small shower cubicle. Could not get to sleep later in the night due to the room having no air conditioning. Dinner was an experience I didn't enjoy, no where could I see on this hotels site that it would be a buffet experience, the restaurant had the same ambience as the motorway services, hard chairs, hard floor, brightly lit, you get the picture. The food was terrible, very little choice but opted for turkey which was dry and they tried to save it by offering a mushroom sauce over the top, the food was luke warm. Deserts were in a refrigerator that each guest had to help themselves to, breathing germs over! In short it was a terrible experience and I was absolutely gutted for my partner who had dressed up for dinner only to be taken to a buffet of this quality, i expected a lot more of this hotel as i've visited quite a few De Vere Venues and they are generally very good value. Breakfast was no better, buffet style again, which is to be expected in hotel chains these days, however sausages had gristle in which straight away made me stop eating my breakfast. I'd recommend this hotel, however do not eat at it, book room only and find a local place to eat, there is a indian restaurant and a pub a short walk away from the hotel, I didn't eat in either of them but have to be better than here!

Room Tip: Ask for one with air conditioning.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Matt C
Dear Matt
Thank you for your recent review of Horsley Park and overall comments. For your information, larger & air conditioned rooms are available at the venue as an upgrade option. I am sorry that you appear to have had a poor meal experience with us, I will certainly look at the points you have made with our Chef.
Kind Regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I were married at Clandon Park (a short distance from Horsley Park) in May 2013. As Clandon Park does not have accommodation, myself and my bridal party stayed at Horsley Park on the day and night before the wedding. We also had all of our wedding guests stay at Horsley on the night of our wedding. It was absolutely brilliant (back in May 2013 Horsley also kept the bar open until 4am for us!) but it was whirlwind of guests, emotions and general wedding chaos!

For our first anniversary we decided to return to Horsely and we are so glad that we did.

The team couldn't do enough for us! I have to put in a special mention to Kate who was absolutely superb, very attentive and a pleasure to have about the hotel. We hadn't met Kate before as we had previously dealt with Maya & Yasmin (whom have now left).

Throughout our stay we were made to feel very comfortable and we enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere.

As I am now six months pregnant, a smaller (better suited than the high bar stools) table and chairs were brought in to the bar area so that my husband and I could enjoy our dinner more comfortably. We had chosen not to eat in the restaurant only as the buffet was not too our taste and there was a large function taking place which meant the restaurant was busy but the bar quiet, which suited us! However, what we ate from the bar menu was delicious. All credit to the chef!!

Although the food in the restaurant has always delivered, I would definitely recommend trying out the bar menu. We both had the butternut squash soup to start, I had the chicken & spinach forestiere for my main and my husband the steak with triple cooked chips. For dessert I had the crème brûlée and my husband the banana and apple tart. Wonderful!

We were treated exceptionally well by Horsley and have been since we first met with the team back in 2012 to discuss our wedding accommodation requirements. Even though the team members have changed since then, the exceptional service is still second to none and their staff are lovely.

We have decided to return to celebrate our anniversary year on year.

2 Thank ClareAltham
Dear Clare
Firstly happy anniversary and congratulations on your forthcoming arrival. Thank you for a great review and overall comments, delighted this stay was relaxing and I will thank Kate for her attentive service.
Kind Regards,
Cobham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a few times out of necessity and convenience - once even for a two week stint.

The grounds and buildings are historic and intriguing and it is fun to explore the pathways between the modern block hotel and the original house. The pool is warm although changing facilities are missing the swimsuit "wringer" and a few pool floats or toys would be appreciated.
The complimentary tea/coffee/hot chic and snacks are really presented well and are appreciated. The breakfast buffet is above average.

This review however is in regards to meal preparation.

We just returned yesterday from having ordered meals there off of their kiddie menu. We ordered two roast chickens which were supposed to come with vegetables and a Yorkshire pudding and potatoes and gravy- standard fare no alterations and the waitress was lovely and made no mistakes. What arrived was some chicken breast that looked covered in peppercorns, no Yorkshire pudding, the "vegetables" consisted of a few green beans and the gravy -shockingly-, the same "sweet and sour sauce" used in the second order.

The second order was stir fried chicken. It was supposed to come with rice and warm tortilla and vegetables. What arrived were noodles which tasted as if they were from one of those repackaged deals where you only have to add water and wait 5 min and the added some roughly cut up chicken.

Finally there were supposed to be smoothies which as we all know is defined as juice, water, ice, fruit and MAYBE a DASH of yogurt. What arrived was strawberry yogurt in a cup nothing more.

The above issues were not "mistakes" or "misunderstandings" as the bar head implied - the order was clearly slapped together in a shockingly substandard manner by chefs who undoubtedly have gotten away with such delivery in the past. Nothing in the order was changed or swapped we ordered per written menu. The bar head however implied that he would find out whose "fault" it was and had the nerve to go over my order in detail to see if there was a confusion with any changes- there was not as I ordered straight from the menu.Yes my bill was refunded, but this does not make up for the wasted time involved.

I am asking no- demanding that the corporate head of this hotel chain investigate as, this is not the first time (i just clearly had forgotten) Previous similar problems met by the bar head trying to defend said chefs for misorepared food and I warn all hotel guests to avoid ordering from the bar menu.

Shame on this hotel for allowing such substandard service to perpetuate.

Room Tip: Ground floor away from view of evening laundry
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank indecision
Dear indecision
Thank you for your recent review of Horsley Park. Please accept my apologies for what appears to have been a poor meal, we will certainly use your feedback and endeavour to do better.
Best Regards,

Travellers are raving about these East Horsley hotels

Dorset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I am basing this review on the fact that we only paid £40 for 2 nights (£20 a night), which on reflection is an amazing price for this hotel. This was a stay where it is actually hard to fault anything. The location is perfect for a quiet night just outside London. 20 mins from Windsor, maybe 25 from the nearest tube.

Check in was easy and painless. The rooms were spotless. Every single staff member was friendly and happy to help. The gym, pool, bar, restaurant where all brilliant. We went swimming a few times and there was never more than 2 others in there. Towels are supplied by reception.

The car park was safe and secure with plenty of space. The grounds themselves and the mansion building are amazing (my wife and I decided this weekend that we are in fact old - we enjoyed walking around the premises!)

A few people have said about the prices at the bar, I paid £4 for a pint of Becks which I didnt think was too bad. They also had meal deals on, for example, Sausage, Mash and a pint for £10, again not bad for hotel prices.

If you have read any of my previous reviews I always moan about price of breakfast. It was £8.50 each here so we paid £34. This to me is very expensive, even thou its all you can eat. As we were miles from anywhere we paid it. And to be fair it was worth it, the food was plentiful, hot, and had everything you could want (although a bit of black pudding would be nice!)

So to sum up, I cannot fault this hotel, we had a perfect stay. Its the best break we have had in this country. If we paid £40 a night I would still be happy.

Would we stay again? We are already checking the De Vere offers, to come back (and bring the kids next time)!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 28, it was quiet throughout our stay.
1 Thank RustyForest
MG_Micallef, General Manager at De Vere Horsley Estate, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear RustyForest
Many thanks for your recent review of Horsley Park. I was delighted to read your comments and equally pleased that you enjoyed your time with us.
Best Regards
Kent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Sometimes it's necessary to put the record straight. It's unbelievably irritating to read countless reviews criticising and complaining, generally about very minor and unimportant issues. If 5 star luxury is required then please book an expensive 5 star hotel.

Horsley Park is a very nice hotel that delivers on all fronts. The location is great, facilities very good, and value for money excellent.

We booked a couple of nights away just for a quiet break and we're more than pleased with the whole deal. The main building is obviously the management centre rather than the Towers, anyone expecting anything different for the price is a bit deluded. The staff were polite and helpful, reception as expected, and communal areas generously supplied with free tea, coffee and biscuits.

Our room was perfectly good. Very comfortable bed with one of the best mattresses I've ever slept on. Usual flatscreen tv, tea and coffee making, full length mirror, clean bathroom with good shower.

The bar and restaurant were really nice with so many different places to sit and relax inside and out. Prices were a little higher than usual but this is Surrey so what do you expect. The bar menu was fairly extensive and the proper restaurant one looked good too. Breakfast was excellent. A full buffet containing absolutely everything was a bargain for £8.50. Don't listen to any or the moaners on here that say it was anything other than excellent.

Finally, the grounds are stunning and Horsley Towers are well worth a walk around as they are unique and really interesting.

If you want a reasonably priced weekend away in a stunning location then I would seriously recommend Horsley Park.

Room Tip: Go for an upstairs room I think as you could potentially have people wandering past your window down...
2 Thank Jon_JWalking
Dear Jon
Thank you for your recent review of Horsley Park and overall comments; really pleased that you enjoyed your stay here with us.
Kind Regards
Guildford Harbour Hotel
Guildford Harbour Hotel
#5 of 11 in Guildford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,790 reviews

Been to De Vere Horsley Estate? Share your experiences!