“Very good, just a little short of excellent.”

De Vere Horsley Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Horsley
Rayne, United Kingdom
“Very good, just a little short of excellent.”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We were transferred to this hotel as the one we were booked in was full. We passed it three times even with the satnav, as it is poorly signposted, but we arrived to find a great hotel in a beautiful setting. The receptionist was great even though she didn't find our changed reservation. She then ask for payment and we had to explain this it was already settled with the hotel who referred us (in the same hotel group). We had e mails to show that payment had been taken care of, but she obviously had no knowledge of the mails. As an apology she gave us the bridal suite! The room was large and in the old castle, two floors up with no lift. The windows had been left open so we had lots of wasps in the room. We finally got rid of the wasps and closed the windows and suffered in the heat as there is no air conditioning.
We wanted to celebrate with a drink, but the only thing in the room was two plastic tumblers in the bathroom. Never mind, so we went to dinner and were again asked to pay as they had no reservation for us, despite booking a table at reception when we arrived. A great meal and great service, except for having to have our coffee in paper cups.
In the morning we used the shower that had grouting missing, gaps in the sealant and the shower tray filled with water as drain hole was blocked. We went to breakfast and were asked to pay £20 as there was no reservation for us in the system. We had to explain, again, about the transfer. A great breakfast, but the same problem at check out as they again asked for payment for the room and meals. It was a good job that I had paperwork to show that the account had already been fixed with the original hotel.
In all, the staff were excellent and the food and service was great. It is a pity that the small items like shower, aircon, no lift, cheap paper or plastic cups, and the total lack of communication between hotels, reception, restaurant, etc stopped it short of being an excellent stay.
I would go again, hoping that the small issues had been fixed.

Room Tip: If you like old four poster beds, slightly tired rooms and don't care about no lift or aircon, g...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bougivalbob
MG_Micallef, General Manager at De Vere Horsley Estate, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review and general comments. I am sorry you encountered those payment niggles and I hope they did not spoil your stay with us.
Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Bristol
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I see on-line today they are advertising rooms from £29 for some nights at the weekend, and at these prices my comments might be different. A previous reviewer has commented that this is somewhere between a Travelodge and a Premier Inn, and I'd agree. My room was in the Management Centre, not the fancy towers building you can just about see in the distance at the far end of a very long driveway but that dominates all the on line pictures. Anyway, my ground floor room was very dark even though it was on the sunny side of the building and had no privacy on account of the walkway alongside the floor to ceiling window, which bus loads of German tourists used as a short cut to get to breakfast. The room itself was clean although the carpet looked like it needed a good vacuum. On the plus side, there is free wi-if, the bed was comfortable, although the sheets were barely big enough to fit the bed, and the bathroom was large with a large walk in shower albeit with minimal supplies of shower gel and a tiny soap, and an annoying non adjustable shower in the ceiling that means you either have the water rattling down on the top of head or not on at all.
The restaurant is a major disappointment. Again, don't believe the website. What we have here is a hotel which specialises in corporate team building events and bus loads of tourists. There is no menu in the restaurant, just a limited choice of three main meals, some starters including soup, and a reasonable choice of desserts. It's very much like being at a works canteen. Breakfast does have all the usual options you'd expect, but as I went into breakfast I was told it was included in my room rate even though it was.
As I went to check out, the receptionist asked me for my room number and then went away to answer the phone, leaving me stood there until someone else appeared.
Generally I stay in the White Horse in Dorking which is full of quirky charm, great dinner options and friendly helpful staff, provided you avoid the "Garden Block". sadly, this now seems to be permanently full due to the flooding renovations at their sister hotel, the Burford Bridge.
If you're not part of a tour group and not on a team building trip, but just looking for somewhere near to the Surrey Hills, I'd recommend one of these instead, unless you want to make use of the pool and extensive gardens.

Room Tip: Don't have a ground floor room - dark, dingy and no privacy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank DSandJB
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review of Horsley park. I am sorry that the venue did not match your expectation. We are indeed a conference centre at heart, dealing predominantly with groups but I do think we offer great value in a great location outside corporate periods for visits to this area.
Best Regards,
Ryde, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Have just returned after our wedding planning meeting the staff were great the location is fab. Bedroom was clean and well maintained. The food was excellent especially the dinner. A big thank you Michael and team see you in October! We can't wait to come back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gary S
Dear Gary
Great to see you and we are looking forward to hosting your big day in October - many thanks for the review.
Regards,
Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We were a family group and the exceptionally friendly and helpful staff accommodated our needs to be in rooms close together, and for special requirements for the older members. Excellent value for money, although agree with some of the comments about size of the room. However, the signposting to get to the hotel is dreadful (a tiny sign to Horsley Park, partially hidden by foliage). Then getting to the right part of the hotel was an adventure; started off at the Towers and worked back, completely missing the main reception which is signposted as "hotel management centre". Once there, the signs to the bar, restaurant and bedrooms were unclear, and definitely needed to be better in the labyrinth of corridors. Very frustrating! The room was also noisy; we were able to hear every move of the person in the room above us, which didn't make for the best night's sleep.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Frances P
Dear Frances
Thank you for your overall comments in your review, particularly those regarding the team we have here at Horsley Park. We are a large site and I will certainly bear your signage comments in mind for when we can.
Regards, ps foliage duly trimmed around highway sign - thank you for pointing it out.
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I disagree massively with some of the other reviews. We paid for a special deal and had a first floor room in the court yard which included dinner with a bottle of wine and breakfast. The room was overlooking a lovely quiet courtyard and was just a short walk from the reception area. I don't know what the other rooms were like in the management suite but we were very pleased with our room apart from the leaking air conditioning unit which was dripping water most of the night. It had been dripping onto the carpet but we put a cup there to collect it after a while. The building is actually very old but has been upgraded. We had one of the contemporary rooms which are meant to have been recently renovated. Not so recent I think but still very nice and quite large. Lovely power shower over a bath and large towels too not those silly little things you sometimes get. The staff are very pleasant and helpful. The receptionist who greeted us when we arrived was really nice and very informative. There was a wedding on that day and we could not go to the towers but went the following morning. Amazing place and well worth a walk around. The grounds are lovely to walk around and such a peaceful and tranquil setting. The food is very good too. We arrived and had lunch in the bar which was priced maybe a little higher than some but very nice. Dinner was really nice although could have been just a little hotter as plates had not been warmed very much. Plenty of food and choice and all freshly prepared. Coffee and other hot drinks with biscuits free and available at all times. The set meal would have been £25 per head had we not already got a deal paid for which is probably about average. It is a buffet style restaurant which does make it less formal so you obviously don't get service but food still very good. Can definitely recommend the rump steak. The free bottle of wine we had was quite a good red too. Swimming pool great and warm too but only downfall is one of those awful communal changing rooms with a couple of showers in. Ok for the young and if you are a size 10 but not so good if you are a little shy about that sort of thing. I actually got changed in the toilets which although was a struggle saved any embarrassment. Altogether a lovely stay just a shame about the air conditioning unit in room 735. That was not to be known before we went and although did keep us awake for a while did not lesson our enjoyment of our stay. Lovely grounds, staff, building and food. Would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Ask for first floor as ground floor would be very close to other occupants walking past. Court yard...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melanie M
Dear Melanie
Thank you for a wonderful review; I'll ensure the team look at that air con unit & resolve.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Do not be fooled by the pictures of the Grand Old House as you are more likely to be in the Managment Centre. The rooms are marginally better than a Travel Lodge but not as good as a Premier Inn. I have the same opinion as other reviewers, the rooms are single with a double bed and the bathrooms are tiny with just a shower, no bath.
Customer Service leaves a little to be desired too. I went down to reception to advise the phone in the room wasn't working (no big deal) but the receptionist did not seem interested and no attempt was made to sort it. I only wanted to use it to ask for a bucket of ice to be delivered to my room, so I asked whilst I was at reception. I was promptly told by the receptionist I could get the ice myself from the bar..... poor service and attitude.
Breakfast was average and I continuously got annoyed at having to ask for tea or coffee. The waitresses serve it to you from a flask but do not seem to check who needs serving.
The final straw was when I checked out. Breakfast was not included so I pointed it out that they had not charged me (honest). I later checked my bill to find I had been overcharged for it by 23% based on the rate they advertise it on booking.com.

Good points... Beautiful location / grounds (Should have taken a tent) and there is a great Italian restaurant in the village... see my review.

Horsley Park is not cheap which makesthe whole experience even more disapointing... 4star prices... 2star service

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mozza1970
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review & overall comments. I am sorry that the venue did not match your expectation and that you do not seem to have received a great stay. I will happily resolve your 23% overcharge if you would like to contact me at Horsley.

Travellers are raving about these East Horsley hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Like using De Vere as you tend to know what you will get (and here you DON'T get the Towers). Been several times and while I would agree most rooms are a single (with a double bed) other DeVere in area Gorse Hill and Hartsfield Manor are a lot better if available and have proper double rooms.This visit we had been farmed out down in the Court, good if you want to build up an appetite getting to the Restaurant, bad if your key fails and you get soaked find an entry into the main building. Room was hot and difficult to cool and the bath was designed for someone under 4' and less than 6 st. otherwise fit for purpose. Breakfast was interesting,had to ask the staff for bread for toast and there was limited fruit available for a starter, three bowls were empty and there was only mixed berries, yogurt and dried apricots. I pointed this out and the waitress returned ten minutes later with tinned apple, pears and peaches. Have to admit I was expecting grapefruit, oranges and fruit cocktail. Fried breakfast never the warmest, but then I have a difference of opinion over what temperature good should be served at

Room Tip: You won't get the Towers but unless you like a walk and the wooden sheds stick clear of the Cour...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
MG_Micallef, General Manager at De Vere Horsley Estate, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Guest
Many thanks for your recent review of Horsley Park. We do have three fabulous De Vere Venues locally and all are very different so based upon taste (period / modern) and location needed we indeed have plenty to satisfy all requirements. i am sorry you felt the Court was being 'farmed out' - these are probably our best rooms, all significantly bigger than the management centre and air conditioned.
Thank you once again.
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
Woodlands Park Hotel
Woodlands Park Hotel
#2 of 4 in Cobham

Been to De Vere Horsley Estate? Share your experiences!