“Avoid!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Helmsdale
cheshire
“Avoid!”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This is not a malicious report but an honest account of our stay. We arrived at the b & b in heavy rain. We were met at the door by a member of staff who was smoking. She showed us to our room via the public bar. The first thing I noticed was the carpet between the bar and reception was filthy.
Our room was worrying because there seemed to be too many wires and plugs into the sockets.
The windows were single glazed and I had to push the curtain up against them because of the draught.
At breakfast the following morning when we walked into the area by the dining room where the food was placed we found a cat walking along the top of the food containers amongst the food.
I also saw the member of staff smoking in the premises.
Having stayed in some beautiful properties we felt that £80 was far too expensive and that this property needs a lot of money spending on it.

Room Tip: Can't comment on other rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank banjoman1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I stayed at the Belgrave Arms Hotel for two nights after sharing a house with relatives in Helmsdale. I had a room with no ensuite, just a basin. My room was clean and comfortable. Bed was firm and the pillows were great. Water was hot. Nice view of the North Sea and the A9 out my window. The shared bathroom was excellent. Owner carried my bags up the stairs and was very accommodating when telling me the best place for WiFi reception. Breakfasts were great and so was supper. Friendly staff. No complaints.

Room Tip: Ask for one that is not over the bar. My room was in a very quiet part of the hotel. Remember, thi...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Cathie M
Mittagong, Australia
Reviewed 2 June 2013

It was getting late in the day when we arrived at the Belgrave Arms Hotel and not knowing the area we decided to stay here. The hotel has seen better days and our rest was disrupted by renovation works being undertaken until late in the evening on the bar underneath our room.

Price wise 80 pound a night for B&B was a little more than we had been paying for better properties during our trip however the staff were pleasant and the restaurant which was doubling as the bar during our stay was fine. We were advised that the main chef was not on the night we stayed and that the apprentice/offsider was cooking that evening. I am glad that we decided to stay for dinner after a couple of cleansing ales because the homemade beef pie I had that evening was one of the best I have had during my 63 years on this planet.

Breakfast the next morning was adequate and served with a smile.

I am sure that once the renovations are complete this would be a reasonable place to stay but you would have to make this decision

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Brighton
Reviewed 19 April 2013

LOCATION
In the centre of Helmsdale but felt very quiet. Next to the main road to Wick but I barely noticed any noise.

ROOMS
I stayed in room 1 - a smallish double room with additional single bed, bath and shower and overlooking the front of the hotel.
Free and fast wifi.
Small TV.
The bed was comfortable with new and smart bedding (duvet not sheets/blankets) and I had a relaxing night's sleep.
The furniture was all new and the room has been recently redecorated although the dark carpet and small window made it feel a little gloomy.
Bathroom is old fashioned but did the job and had plenty of hot water.

SERVICE
Pleasant enough although a little distracted; when I arrived they had erased my booking from their book - luckily it was April midweek so they weren't busy and i got my room but they didn't really explain this or apologise. But for a couple of minutes I did wonder whether I would be driving 20 miles to find another hotel!

The same staff served in the bar and at breakfast and were friendly and very helpful without being especially chatty.

I think if they could make more effort to engage and welcome the guests this could be a really warm, decent, great value hotel stopover for those en route to the far north.
I think we tourists are used to a "warm traditional Scottish" welcome in the Highlands and that is all that is missing.

FOOD
I only ate a simple cereal breakfast here, but the dinner menu looks like a decent choice.
As well as the restaurant area there is a proper bar which was being refurbished during my visit.

Room Tip: Room 1 has ensuite bathroom and double + single bed.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I've stayed at the Belgrave Arms more than once and have never encountered any problems. Service has always been great and the staff make you feel more than welcome. The bar has a great atmosphere at night where you can chat to the locals who will have more than one story to tell. I would always recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to visit this part of the highlands and it would always be my first choice

• Stayed December 2012
6 Thank Beres1991
Wokingham
Reviewed 2 April 2013

For the money you will leave disappointed. The single -glazed rooms have black mould around the window frames, and the pillows......I suggest not taking off the pillow case to have a look! Not clean, not plump, not comfortable. The seafood was pretty good, but the public bar was being refurbished, and the the alternative ( the restaurant) was rather soul-less, with no real atmosphere. To make this worth £80 per night B&B a considerable sum will need to be spent. The Highlands has plenty of places that are better decorated, more comfortable, cleaner, and better value for money. I would not stay here again, nor would i recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
ScotlandHighfive, Owner at The Belgrave Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Due to the malicious nature of certain reviews lately, as the owners we do not wish to get defensive and say our hotel is perfect with no fault. We are a family run business who try our best to accommodate all our guests to make the feel welcome and to have a pleasant stay. on check out we always ask if everything was ok with there stay. so it is upsetting that people feel the need to say yes all ok then go on TripAdvisor and post bad reviews. I would suggest anyone reading these take them with the malice intent the where wrote. lots of our guest enjoy there stay and come back time after time.

Travellers are raving about these Helmsdale hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Booked this hotel because of reviews on this site and was sorry I did! I phoned in advance to ask if I would be able to get dinner as I was arriving late and was told, "no, we stop serving at quarter to eight". No offer of a sandwich or anything else and was told that there was nowhere else open for me to get food from! I then asked if I could get breakfast before I checked out early on the second day - same unhelpful response "no, we serve breakfast between 8 and 9". On checking in, I had a grudging offer to carry my heavy case upstairs and it was carried exactly to the top step. I wasn't told what room number I was in but followed directions to it ok. It was a mish mash of colours and patterns and didn't smell very fresh. The ensuite bathroom was out of the 70's and bitterly cold as it was large, with only a towel rail to heat it. That said, the bathroom and bed were clean, although the wash basin was cracked, and the bed was comfortable. The pillows were very tired and flat and not very comfortable. It was fortunate I wanted to be up early as traffic started rumbling by not long after 6 am. Breakfast was ok, not the best quality but edible. I had dinner in the bar, which had some of the 'friendly' locals in it. They were in the middle of a group argument, using a lot of swearing, which wasn't what I wanted to listen to after a full day. I chose the quickest food I could see - scampi and chips - and was served quickly, brown overcooked chips and scampi with what tasted like tinned peas and carrots - fuel only. I don't think I have ever eaten a meal so fast as I couldn't wait to get out of there! A woman was offering another woman outside for a fight and ended up calling her an 'English [--]' before leaving. The owner apologised to me in the morning and said the woman was now barred as she had been causing trouble recently. I was keen to leave as soon as possible after handing over £120 for two nights that I could have had at a B&B for half or two thirds of the price in much nicer surroundings. In my opinion this is one to avoid like the plague and go to one of the nearby B&Bs that are apparently very good. I won't be back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tracy G
ScotlandHighfive, Owner at The Belgrave Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
if you are reading this review on whether you should stay with us or not. please do read the other reviews, this is a malicious and fabricated review. I am therefore not going to defend ourselves apart from to say we go out of our way to help our guests. yes the restaurant was closed at 8.00 pm but guest was advised ( on booking) when she explained she would be late that the local La Mirage would be open, guest also said she was arriving by train and we offered to collect her from the station if she rang us. Early breakfast was never request which we are more that happy to do for any guests leaving early. The food we serve is all fresh produces and home made. An apology was made to the guest on leaving due to an argument that have occurred the previous evening , we are not in control of what people say and how they act, but we can deal with the matter quickly and effectively which as owner this is all we can to avoid recurrences.
This review was hurtful to us and our business especially as it is untrue.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helmsdale
Royal Marine Hotel
#4 of 6 in Dornoch
Bannockburn Inn
Bannockburn Inn
#5 of 9 in Helmsdale

Been to The Belgrave Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!