“Accommodation not Guest House”

Church Farm Accommodation
Ranked #1 of 3 Bickenhill B&B and Inns
Lisbon
“Accommodation not Guest House”
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I suppose now I see them listed on Trip Advisor as accommodation rather than the Guest House they put on their brochure I think it more aptly describes them.
I found the room tidy and clean, albeit dark inside and right outside the back door which everyone uses all day and night to stand and chat outside. However while some may consider the house 'eclectic' the general junk to be found outside and even on going inside were quite off putting as was the dirty seating outside. I also wasn't expecting to be in the flight path of Birmingham International airport. A lack of response to my emails regarding transfers that they advised they offered resulted in confusion and additional taxi bills for me as was the fact that I had to fit my schedule for transfers and breakfast around their additional activities. Not seriously interested in hosting people, but then I was expecting a guest house rather than accommodation. I had chosen this as a woman travelling on my own I don't like hotels but I think I would have been better off in this instance.

Room Tip: Don't ask for the room next to the back door.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank dillydallysally

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Reviewed 15 August 2011

After staying at various hotels surrounding the NEC over the past three years twice a year we attend a major fashion buying show we decided to do something different and chose bed and breakfast. Church Farm is only a 10 minute drive away from NEC but is a world away - we drove through a lovely green wooded area, the villages nearby Church Farm are charming.

The host was really helpful in telling us what to expect from the nearby pubs in terms of food, ales and ambience. We stayed in room 1 of the converted stable block, the room had a single and double bed, it was well appointed, absolutely clean and had a nice farmhouse character. The bed was comfortable, the shower had really good pressure and, small guest soap is provided as well as tea, coffee tray. Had the best nights sleep after a better than expected meal at The Boat House (our 3rd choice - it was sunday night and the other 2 choices were closed or full - The Boat House is a Chef & Brewer - would highly recommed the board specials rather than the menu the service we received at The Boat House was so outstanding that we left our biggest tip ever.
Breakfast served in the main house round a table with other guests was really civilised and comfortable. The breakfast was all good locally sourced produce and set us up for the day. We would highly recommend Church House over any of the hotels in this area and look forward to visiting again in February.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Dorset, United Kingdon
Reviewed 11 December 2010

My friend and I stayed here at this farmhouse for one night to fly out on our holiday. We pulled up in the car and immediately was approached by Dave who was asking for money, we hadn't even got out of the car and he was asking how we were paying! We had to catch an early flight in the morning and was told there would be no breakfast for us at that time in the morning, we were not told this when booking, we had to ask for some weetabix as we said we booked B&B!!!. A large pile of dirty sheets for washing were piled up on the floor in the office and it was very untidy. The room in some renovated stables next to the horses was warm but the ensuite was very small and needed updating. We were told on booking that he would take us to the airport in the morning and could leave the car there but again he said we would have to get a taxi to the airport which we had to do. He said he would collect us from the airport when we landed if we called him. We called Dave's daughter and was told we had to get the monorail to the NEC and he would collect us from there, which should only take about 5 mins. It had snowed whilst we were away and had to wait approx 20 mins, when he pulled up he just sat in his car and didn't even speak, so we had to struggle with our cases as he wouldn't help us. We got back to the farmhouse and he got the car keys and asked for his bottle of Gin? we queried it as we didn't know what he was on asbout, he said he wanted a bottle brought back? he shouted "don't you two EVER come back here again! My friend and I looked at each other a little miffed. We wouldn't EVER recommend them to any one to stay there, he is very rude and only interested in the money.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank dorsetdoll58
jellytots75, Manager at Church Farm Accommodation, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
I want to point out that this guest did not book the accommodation. Her friend who was unable to come due to ill health, had all arrangements regarding airport transport, parking and breakfast times explained to her at the time of booking.

When I explained that we would not be getting up at 5am to cook a full breakfast and give them a lift to the airport they thought this to be unreasonable. I think you will be hard pushed to find any bed and breakfast who will do this for free!!

We did however arrange a taxi (no more than £6) for the morning and we would pick them up on their return.

A tray of cereals and fruit was provided for the morning. But there is no mention of the fact that I cooked these ladies cheese on toast at 9pm because they did not want to go to the pub. Oh we did not charge anything for this!!

Just to clear up a few other issues mentioned in this review:

The office is not a public area, they were only in there because I had offered them the use of my computer to find out information on their flight because of the bad weather. Sheets in office are washed and dried and waiting for ironing, so not dirty!

We ask all our guests who want a lift from the airport to catch the free monorail from the airport to the railway station as it is quicker than driving into the airport. Nobody else has a problem with this and are more than grateful to have a FREE door to door service.

We ask for one bottle of Gin (£10 approximately) for a weeks car parking. Airport parking costs £60 for a week so I do not think this unreasonable.

Unfortunately these guests were not grateful for anything we did for them, they were extremely rude and we do not wish them to return to our Guest House.
Brisbane Region, Australia
Reviewed 20 March 2010

Stayed here to be near NEC. 5 minute drive away. Rooms are in converted stables. Nicely appointed, very comfortable. Good heating. New look shower toliet. Flat screen TV, free Wifi. Parking is in the stable courtyard. You have to drive down a short gravel lane to back of farmhouse. Breaksfast is very basic continental and a huge aga fry up. Everyone sits together in main room at large table. Its a bit chaotic and messy lived in farm house. I thought is was great value and hospitable hosts. The breakfast would not suit someone wanting a healthy start.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Harrogate
Reviewed 2 March 2010

My wife and I stayed for one night while visiting the National Motorcycle Museum (fantastic). The rooms are in a block of recently converted stables. The conversion has been tastefully done and has kept some of the original feature. The only problem was that it felt as though it needed finishing off - there was nowhere to hang clothes, only one small mirror in the bathroom and no hairdryer or area for my wife carry out the normal female routine. Ok for one night, but it would have become annoying if we stayed longer.
Breakfast was interesting. The breakfast area was in the family front room - one large table for all guests with all the family clutter around - including a pile of washing. The food was fine though and the host very friendly - just not quite what we expected.
Still - I'd stay there again if I needed the Birmingham area and they are happy for you to leave your car if you want to use this as a base prior to flying out on holiday.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bickenhill
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#24 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Church Farm Accommodation? Share your experiences!