“Average hotel, but handy for the NEC”

Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bickenhill
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I stayed here about 4 years ago with family, but returned recently for a short business trip whilst attending a conference at the nearby NEC.

The hotel hasn't changed much in the interim, offering a reasonable level of service and room quality for the price.

Parking is plentiful and free, and a 15 minute walk takes you via the NEC train station directly into the back end of the conference facilities.

The hotel decor is looking very worn and badly needs replacing. The room heating/cooling system was a little temperamental (totally analogue controls) but adequate once I got it set just so. There was a little external noise in the room; surprisingly this mostly consisted of train noise rather than from the nearby airport, but nothing too excessive really.

Breakfast was busy but reasonably well serviced. I didn't try the bar or restaurant for dinner for comment. There is a pool/health club, although again I didn't see it on this visit.

Conclusion: It's not my first choice when going to the NEC, but the Arden Hotel is an adequate second.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank H0nestB0b
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear H0nestB0b,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I appreciate your comments about the lack of changes in the hotel in the last four years, and we have addressed the need for refurbishment, and we are currently working on improvements in the main public areas and bedrooms to deliver you a better quality experience.

I hope for your next visit to the area, you give us another try and the opportunity to rectify the experience you have had previously.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed for 3 nights at the Arden recently. Arriving Sunday evening just in time to see the last of the match on Sky Sports - have to say the chairs in the TV room really need replacing as they look like they have seen better days!
The room was clean and looked out over car park - I heard nothing but my two colleagues said that they could hear some Train noise. Bed was fine.
The staff were great, quick to deal with booking in and out and service was generally excellent.
We ate in the main resturant on two nights and received excellent service - the roast beef on Sunday was not the best of choices on the menu! In general I would say fair to good.
Would certainly use again as this is the best location for NEC without a doubt at a reasonable price!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear DannyJ487,

Thanks for your review, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to us again in the near future. Hopefully next time you will get a chance to use the pool and leisure club too.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Myself and my mother recently stayed at this hotel, as we were attending a show at the NEC, the location to the NEC is great and in walking distance approx 10-15 mins. Check in and out was very efficent and pleasant staff to deal with. Hotel is a bit dated but very comfortable rooms other wise.
We had a meal in restaurant on the sat evening and food was lovely until my mother found a hair in her dinner, she immediately brought this to the attention of the waiter and all he said was he would say it to the chef (it def wasn't hers as it was blond and she is dark haired), We were still charged full price for the meal, which isn't acceptable, the manager didn't even come to speak to us or did waiter apologise. The staff at breakfast were nice and polite, one thing I would say is tea or coffee should be specifically ordered and not sitting on a tray waiting to be handed out, as tea both mornings was luke warm.
Hotel rooms are very warm and cosy.
A bit far out of city for a shopping trip, as taxis cost approx 20-25.00 pounds each way.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Elizabeth 186600,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us at Arden Hotel, Solihull and I am really pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will bring the hair issue up with our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager, as they operate to a very high standard with regards to Food Hygiene practices. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention so that I can have this fully investigated.

You are right a Taxi to the heart of Birmingham City Centre is £15-25 dependent on location within the city. This being said, we are a 5 minute walk to Birmingham International (Airport) station, from which Virgin Trains operate a frequent service into the Birmingham New Street/Grand Central Station development.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Not much wrong with the hotel itself and the food was very good...what really lets this hotel down is the lack of customer service by some of the staff...unbelievable check in experience...started to book in another guest whilst in the middle of booking in myself and 3 colleagues...had to ask 3 times before I got a replacement kettle for my room and a similar experience at breakfast...despite repeatedly asking for coffee it seemed that was a task that the staff standing around couldn't handle. Will definitely not be staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear kathrinwesthill,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, and I am sorry to learn that your experience was so poor.

I will address these issues with my Front of House Manager as the issues you have experienced with our Front of House Team I deem as totally unacceptable. We will ensure that further customers do not receive a similar experience.

I hope in the future you opt to try us out again, and I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

A friend and I recently stayed at the Arden whilst visiting a show at the nec. The hotel was easy to find especially with the helpful road signs.

Couldn't believe how lucky we were with the location taking us about 10-15 minutes to walk to the NEC.

The room was perfect for what we needed and the beds comfortable.

We had an issue with watching a movie which unfortunately couldn't be fixed but the member of staff was helpful and apologetic.

The breakfast was lovely although slightly cold

Been recommending the hotel to everyone and I will certainly stay there again if I ever need to go to the NEC.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear SammyLouSharp,

I am really pleased to see that you had a great stay with us.

I am looking forward to seeing you again for your return stay with us.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Good overnight stay for LG arena, with free parking. Staff all very pleasant. Really pleased that we had a tasty and reasonably priced meal, nicely served in the comfortable Burgundy restaurant, rather than the queue for burgers to then eat sitting on the floor which was what seemed to be on offer in LG! The footpath through the hotel grounds meant we were back in the bar having a beer 15 minutes after we left the Billy Joel gig - brilliant! Would definitely recommend for convenience alone if you are visiting NEC/LG.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear drmary145,

Thank you for your lovely feedback on Tripadvisor!

I am pleased to see that you had a good stay with us, and I look forward to welcoming you back for the next gig at LG Arena.

Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

A nice clean hotel, includes pool, gym, snooker and pool tables to relax. Rooms maybe a little too white and boring but I guess that's a personal thing. Great location for Birmingham airport and the NEC! Also no free WiFi which is poor from a hotel, BT Openzone is provided but it's very slow.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Richard W,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and my apologies if you found our white bedrooms a bit too neutral.. We have bedrooms that are alternative colours in the building so we are more than happy to assign you one that is more colourful in the future.

Yours faithfully,

Michael Simpson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bickenhill
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#29 of 118 in Birmingham
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Airport

Been to Arden Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!