“Nice Hotel in need of some tlc”

Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bickenhill
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel in need of some tlc”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My partner choose this hotel as it was near to the NEC. First impression was good, reception was inviting, clean and staff welcoming. Room was good but, house keeping needs some attention as the extractor fan in the bathroom had not been cleaned for years and was covered in dust. The food in the restaurant was good, but the staff from Restaurant manager down had all attended the Faulty Towers school of training. I have 30 years in the trade and it was pretty dire, with slow service and missed selling opportunities. This was both on the Friday and Saturday night. Breakfast was ok for a buffet style operation, but they were using the cheapest sausages going. And the waiting staff were far to eager to clear away plates nearly knocking me out of the way whilst I was drinking my coffee as they wanted my empty plate. Carpets in the corridors had packing tape holding them down. Hopefully some money will be spent shortly on some TLC and badly needed staff training in the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Guy P,

Thank you for your comments and your review on your stay with us.

I appreciate your feedback and we in the process of addressing all your concerns.

We are launching a new service training programme in January that will undoubtedly improve the guest experience. This experience will continue to grow in 2014 as we focus heavily on investing in our team and our product.

We admit openly that refurbishment is needed in certain areas, and we are addressing this with an extensive refurbishment of the building which commenced in Summer 2013 and will continue into 2014, this will see key areas of concern addressed so we are not affecting our guests experience at the hotel.

We have also recently completed a review of the breakfast options and our new sausages will be on the breakfast offering from January 2014.

I hope to welcome you back to us again next year for a better stay experience.

Yours faithfully,

Michael Simpson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Just stayed for one night and can't fault it. Welcoming staff.
Room was nice - clean. Good bathroom, tea and coffee making facilities. My hair drier didn't work but wasn't a problem for me. Lots of towels.
Used the pool, sauna and steam room which were lovely. Towels provided separately at the pool which was good.
Breakfast was great.
Only thing I would say is that the website seems really dated. A more modern website would better reflect the quality of the hotel in my opinion.

Dear HannahV88,

Thank you for your lovely comments, I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will pass your feedback onto our web development area with regards to the hotel website and we will certainly look at making improvements to this in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back to us again for your next visit to the area.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I would suggest when it was built this was a very nice hotel, however the carpets are very stained in the bar area and faded and fraying throughout the rest of the hallways and stair area and it could do with a bit of a refurbish in my opinion.
They have a very laid back approach to fire safety as the PAT testing is nearly 3 month out of date and when we arrived all the bedroom fire doors were propped open with coat hangers on the floor preventing them from shutting.
By the stairs in one hallway on the way to our room there was a huge red bin stuffed with bedding and a cardboard box on the floor in front overflowing with more bedding and this stayed there through our stay. The extractor fan in the bathroom was full of fluff/dirt and did not look like it had been ever cleaned out :-(
On the positive side the staff were all smartly dressed and attentive and the food is excellent and very very reasonably priced, We had a 3 course meal with a bottle of house white and coffee for around £60.00.
The rooms are adequate and you have everything you need and the water was hot and the room serviced daily.
Breakfast was extra at £7.50 for continental and £10.00 for cooked hot hold as we were there 2 nights I sampled both and they were both very nice.
We used the pool and spa but unfortunately the steam room was not working.
I think if this hotel had a refurbish it would be excellent, but the fact that it is tired may have been reflected in the price of the stay which was very very reasonable in my opinion.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the main road can be very noisy if you sleep with the window open.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Karen164,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

I will first and fore mostly address your comments with regards to Fire Safety at the hotel, PAT testing is completed annually on a rolling programme and I will address with our PAT tester that it appears there may be a couple outstanding, and get these prioritised as a matter of urgency. I have spoken with our Housekeeping Manager with regards to the door hanger issue and we will ensure that this does not re-occur.

I have reviewed the comments you have made with regards to the appearance of the hotel and we are continually working to improve our image, as part of our refurbishment programme, our bedroom corridors are being refreshed and modernised ad we look to continue to give you an outstanding experience in the future.

I appreciate all your feedback and am pleased you found us value for money and enjoyed your breakfast experience. I hope to welcome you back to us again in the near future.

Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Arden for 2 nights when we went to the NEC for the bike show. Firstly the hotel is an easy 10 minute walk to the NEC which is very convenient. On arrival the hotel looked nice from the outside and going to reception it looked a lovely hotel. Reception staff were friendly and polite. However as you progress through the hotel it begins to look a little dated and tired. The room was clean and looked recently decorated. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom though clean and adequate was dated and tired. The bar was fine and the staff pleasant. Bar snacks were ok. The carpet in the bar area could do with replacing. We had a very enjoyable meal in the restaurant (top class). Breakfast was typical for buffet style (sausages were too cheap though). Overall for what we paid it was an enjoyable stay and a good spot for the NEC.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Biggosh,

Thank you for your feedback.

As you may have seen on previous reviews we are in the middle of a refurbishment with a view to improve the tired appearance of the hotel and make it more to the liking of the modern traveller. This work is underway and will be ongoing in 2014.

Your comments with regards to the sausages were taken on board, and we have reviewed these and opted for an alternative sausage in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back to us again for your next stay in the area.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I went again to the Arden - I go to an exhibition at the NEC each year and wanted to update. It has not changed much which is good and bad! The retsaurant is still quite good and the staff are friendly. I think that the rooms are getting bit more tired but then aren't we all :-). The bar and restaurant staff are still the usual mix of young and untrained, and the experienced ones who keep it running.
The bar still has only tasteless fizz for beer from the pump and not even interesting beer in the fridge. It would not be too much to ask for to put a few bottles of old speckled hen or something similar in the fridge, surely. I can understand that with the really young (and presumably cheap) bar staff that you employ, running a good draught beer would be impossible but a few bottles should be possible!!!!
But they do have Marmite for breakfast - that is an advance

Dear bluekraut,

Thank you for your comments with regards to your stay at Arden Hotel NEC.

We appreciate your comments and feedback on the team being young and untrained, and we are addressing this with a a matter of concern, we are launching a new training programme in January with a view to resolve any training issues in the business that may still be unresolved.

I have fed back your comments with regards to the beer to our Bars & Lounge Manager who will review our offering. The feedback we receive on our beers are generally very good, but I appreciate not all beers are to each person's taste.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future, and rest assured - we will not be taking away the Marmite!

West Midlands
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We went for a meal on the 3/11/2013 which was nice. Unfortunately I went into the ladies toilet and caught on my new coat on the silver metal fixture on the door frame of one of the toilets, it is very sharp as are all the metal fixtures on the toilets. I complained at reception and left my telephone number I never received a call back until I chased it up. I then sent a copy of the receipt of the coat which I was asked to do, I never received a reply until once again I followed it up. The manager advised that he did not consider it a health and safety risk, even though there were several ladies in the toilets all of whom witnessed the event and two ladies offered their phone numbers in case of any issues with the damage to my coat. However, the manager is adamant that there are no problems with the toilets. This rant is really all about warning you ladies to be careful on entering the cubicles and not catching your clothes or even bare arms on the fixture.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KITWestMidlands

Travellers are raving about these Bickenhill hotels

Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed for 4 nights whilst judging at the Skills Show at the NEC in November.

The good:
Excellent location within 10 mins walking distance of the NEC itself.
Room spacious, clean and serviced each day, with a good tea tray. Clean bathroom with good bath and shower and no problems with the hot water. Reasonably comfortable bed. Free Wi-Fi in room.
Excellent choice at breakfast of full English (buffet), continental plus fruit, cereal and yoghurts, fresh coffee and tea. Very nice.
Evening meals in the restaurant were nice, if varying in quality and portion size throughout stay. I wasn't paying as on expenses, but seemed a little pricey for what you got. Service was fine, but not outstanding.
Staff were pleasant at all times and check in/out was quick and easy.

The Bad:
Nothing to mention really, slight road noise, slight smell of cigarette smoke if window left open, picture quality on TV quite poor - but these are just slight niggles.

Overall enjoyable and comfortable stay. Would stay again. Didn't use pool or spa so can't comment, however it did look nice!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear andrewclaridge,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review us on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased you had a good stay with us and enjoyed the experience for Skills Show 2013. I hope to welcome you back to us next year for the show.

Michael Simpson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bickenhill
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#23 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Arden Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!