“Okish”

Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bickenhill
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed here for the Good food show on 30th Was reasonably priced against other hotels in the exact area of the NEC for that day with a spa which was ok actually apart from the cleanliness.

The cleanliness of the hotel in general needs to be addressed. I have stayed in much cheaper hotels which are cleaner. The spa shower had a glob of hair about the size of a 50p just sitting on the shelf in the shower like it had just been removed from the plug, there was hair all over the floor too.
But worse than that, the room itself. 1. There was a used knife just sitting on the side. 2. The shower head was covered in that pink bacteria mould all over it and the plugs were ringed in gunk. I am not ocd, i generally can cope with a little muck bjt luckily I had bacterial wipes for the shower head which came up lovely and tried to ignore the manky plug holes. A towel I used in the bathroom when I showered left me witha few short black hairs on me. ( I am blonde btw) so was left feeling icky like it was a used towel so had to reshower so all in all this hotel needs to address itscleaning staff. They are not cleaning properly and for a hotel giving the iimpression ( from the main area it looks like a decent hotel) the cleaning staff are not cleaning to even a 2* level not the 3* the hotel is at.
Other than that, it it located in a nice area for the NEC. Do a proper cleaning job on the rooms and jobs a good one. Didnt try the food btw, not sure I would wish too if the cleaning is poor in the rooms then not sure what state the kitchen is in either.

• Stayed: November 2013
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Smurfy1980

Thank you for your feedback.

Your comments regarding the cleanliness of your bedroom is a concern, and I will be addressing this with my Housekeeping manager.

As this is an area we cannot tolerate, we will ensure this improves very quickly, and hopefully can welcome you back to us next year for a return visit to sample a much better bedroom experience.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed here for a business meeting and was overall impressed with the hotel and value for money. Looks great from the outside and reception area is impressive. Rooms are comfortable and a nice size, free wifi was good. The staff are really friendly and helpful. The restaurant is very nice and the staff wouldn't be out of place in a 5 star hotel restaurant being very attentive and friendly. The menu is a little limited but the food itself was excellent. Overall a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Brstocker,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor, I am really pleased you had a great stay with us for your business meeting.

I take on board your comments with regards to the menu being limited, we are in the process of rewriting our Lounge Menu, In Room Dining Menu and A La Carte menu, and we are looking to roll these out shortly with a better selection of items on them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to us again in the future for your next meeting.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Visited the good food show on Saturday and stayed at the Arden hotel. The staff were lovely apart from one individual in the main restaurant who was just plain rude. The spa was lovely and the man on reception was helpful and efficient, as were the staff on the main reception. We had a lovely meal in the Burgundy which was amazing value and the drinks in the lively bar were well priced for a hotel. What let's this hotel down is the rooms, they are very dated and not particularly clean. We walked into the room and it was like a furnace! we managed to turn the radiator down and opened the window as it was stuffy and smelt musty. The carpet was very stained and there was a empty pill blister pack and a toenail (yuk!) in the bathroom. Thankfully the bedding and towels were clean and the shower etc. was fine. However, saying all of that I would stay there again because of the staff, the spa and the restaurant. That also offered a good discount due to the toenail incident. It's also great for the NEC - get the rooms clean and refreshed and it would be almost perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a clean one.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Julie3333333,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Arden Hotel.

I appreciate your comments with regards to the cleanliness issues you had in your room, these were brought to my attention following your departure from the hotel and has been investigated with the housekeeping team. I agree with you entirely, poor quality room condition should not be excused and we will continue to work to ensure that other guests do not receive the same experience.

We are continuing to work on our product offering so that we can ensure our guests are getting a better service from their stay with us at the Arden Hotel.

I hope to welcome you back for your next event to a better overall product experience, and I am pleased to learn you enjoyed the service you received.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Good in it's 1) location to NEC meaning we could park for the 2 night stay & walk to the NEC with no parking charge, 2) reception area & welcoming staff (we were very stressed from the traffic), 3) room ok, 4) Bar food good on the Frid late afternoon post NEC..& room service ok to for sandwiches later..Bad or Poor 1) state of decor when out of the main area/stair case 2) grouting in bathroom had not been cleaned in years 3) very poor guest info in general 4) room heating OTT...ended up with the window open in late November. Did not sample Breakfast on either day as £10 for all you can eat hot is a little over the top..but at least we had the option as on a room only deal. Despite the negative issues due to its price, the free parking, free wi-fi & walking distance to NEC I would stay again if attending a NEC event.

Room Tip: Don't think there is much in it on the room front....our tip would be to follow hotel road direc...

Dear ecofi,

Thank you for your feedback and reviewing us on Tripadvisor.

I appreciate your comments, and as part of our ongoing refurbishment programme we are addressing some key issues with regards to grouting needing replacing in some areas, and we are working on a new guest information system that we will aim to have in place in the new year.

We are committed to developing your experiences as guests at our hotel, and therefore your comments will be used as part of this process in the new year.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

My partner choose this hotel as it was near to the NEC. First impression was good, reception was inviting, clean and staff welcoming. Room was good but, house keeping needs some attention as the extractor fan in the bathroom had not been cleaned for years and was covered in dust. The food in the restaurant was good, but the staff from Restaurant manager down had all attended the Faulty Towers school of training. I have 30 years in the trade and it was pretty dire, with slow service and missed selling opportunities. This was both on the Friday and Saturday night. Breakfast was ok for a buffet style operation, but they were using the cheapest sausages going. And the waiting staff were far to eager to clear away plates nearly knocking me out of the way whilst I was drinking my coffee as they wanted my empty plate. Carpets in the corridors had packing tape holding them down. Hopefully some money will be spent shortly on some TLC and badly needed staff training in the restaurant.

Dear Guy P,

Thank you for your comments and your review on your stay with us.

I appreciate your feedback and we in the process of addressing all your concerns.

We are launching a new service training programme in January that will undoubtedly improve the guest experience. This experience will continue to grow in 2014 as we focus heavily on investing in our team and our product.

We admit openly that refurbishment is needed in certain areas, and we are addressing this with an extensive refurbishment of the building which commenced in Summer 2013 and will continue into 2014, this will see key areas of concern addressed so we are not affecting our guests experience at the hotel.

We have also recently completed a review of the breakfast options and our new sausages will be on the breakfast offering from January 2014.

I hope to welcome you back to us again next year for a better stay experience.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Just stayed for one night and can't fault it. Welcoming staff.
Room was nice - clean. Good bathroom, tea and coffee making facilities. My hair drier didn't work but wasn't a problem for me. Lots of towels.
Used the pool, sauna and steam room which were lovely. Towels provided separately at the pool which was good.
Breakfast was great.
Only thing I would say is that the website seems really dated. A more modern website would better reflect the quality of the hotel in my opinion.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear HannahV88,

Thank you for your lovely comments, I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will pass your feedback onto our web development area with regards to the hotel website and we will certainly look at making improvements to this in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back to us again for your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I would suggest when it was built this was a very nice hotel, however the carpets are very stained in the bar area and faded and fraying throughout the rest of the hallways and stair area and it could do with a bit of a refurbish in my opinion.
They have a very laid back approach to fire safety as the PAT testing is nearly 3 month out of date and when we arrived all the bedroom fire doors were propped open with coat hangers on the floor preventing them from shutting.
By the stairs in one hallway on the way to our room there was a huge red bin stuffed with bedding and a cardboard box on the floor in front overflowing with more bedding and this stayed there through our stay. The extractor fan in the bathroom was full of fluff/dirt and did not look like it had been ever cleaned out :-(
On the positive side the staff were all smartly dressed and attentive and the food is excellent and very very reasonably priced, We had a 3 course meal with a bottle of house white and coffee for around £60.00.
The rooms are adequate and you have everything you need and the water was hot and the room serviced daily.
Breakfast was extra at £7.50 for continental and £10.00 for cooked hot hold as we were there 2 nights I sampled both and they were both very nice.
We used the pool and spa but unfortunately the steam room was not working.
I think if this hotel had a refurbish it would be excellent, but the fact that it is tired may have been reflected in the price of the stay which was very very reasonable in my opinion.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the main road can be very noisy if you sleep with the window open.

Dear Karen164,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

I will first and fore mostly address your comments with regards to Fire Safety at the hotel, PAT testing is completed annually on a rolling programme and I will address with our PAT tester that it appears there may be a couple outstanding, and get these prioritised as a matter of urgency. I have spoken with our Housekeeping Manager with regards to the door hanger issue and we will ensure that this does not re-occur.

I have reviewed the comments you have made with regards to the appearance of the hotel and we are continually working to improve our image, as part of our refurbishment programme, our bedroom corridors are being refreshed and modernised ad we look to continue to give you an outstanding experience in the future.

I appreciate all your feedback and am pleased you found us value for money and enjoyed your breakfast experience. I hope to welcome you back to us again in the near future.

Michael Simpson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bickenhill
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#30 of 118 in Birmingham
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Airport

Been to Arden Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!