“Useful business hotel - near Birmingham Airport but beyond walking distance from the terminal” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Arden Hotel & Leisure Club

Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bickenhill
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

Typical featureless business hotel - has all the comforts without any atmosphere. Bar service rather slow.
Generally reasonable value for such a hotel and provided you're not looking for 5 star and are happy with a clean and comfortable business stopover, it's fine.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank nelliefraser
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear Nelliefraser,

Thank you for reviewing Arden Hotel Birmingham Airport/NEC on Tripadvisor. I am pleased you generally enjoyed your stay, and appreciate your feedback, as it assists us in developing our product and service offering in the future.

I was disappointed to learn that we were too far from the Airport for your needs. We are not an 'onsite' hotel at Birmingham Airport. We are a 10 minute walk to the monorail service direct into the terminal building or alternatively less than a five minute taxi journey to the terminal entrance.

I am also sorry to learn that you found us a featureless hotel, and lacking in atmosphere. The end of December is always a quiet period for us as the Festive Party Season draws to a close, so I think you may have missed some of the atmosphere, we experience throughout the month.

We are currently investing in the hotel, we have refurbished a lot of the bedroom product and will continue to invest in the Bar, Lounge, Main Restaurant & Leisure Club in the new year. I take on board your comments with regards to some of the service issues you are seeing, and we are launching a new training programme in the early part of 2014 to ensure that we any service issues are addressed and dealt with, to ensure we are always offering our guests an outstanding experience.

Overall though its great to hear that you enjoyed staying with us at the hotel, and I look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future.

Michael Simpson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

The Husband and I stayed at the hotel for one night because we went to a concert at the NEC we were pleased with how helpful the staff were with directions to the NEC and the food was amazing when we came back from concert the only downfall for us was the mattress it was to springy and as im 7 months pregnant I was uncomfortable but we felt it was too late to change the room by the time we realized. We would definitely recommend to stay and would come back again for concert/show.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear stackyleigh,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments with regards to your stay at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club.

I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay, and I am sorry if your mattress is a little bit springy. We have replaced over 100 of our mattresses already this year and we will continue to where necessary in 2014, so I trust you will get a better night sleep with us next time.

I look forward to welcoming you back for your next trip to us - maybe with your new addition to your family in tow!

doncaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

We went to clothes show sat 7th n I searched loads hotels and all was expensive.found this for 3 of us ten min walk to nec .the hotel was way overpriced direct so booked with holidayextras who I always book with I found a code off internet n it cost 67.50 3 of us bargain. Set off with postcode in satnav n ended up at a ibis nr mcdonalds 25 mins away arrrrggghhhh .rang hotel who said ohhh yeaaa that postcode always takes people somwere else .why the hell do they not tell ya that .they gave me the esso garage postcode n that got us there.what a joke!!!! Arrived to a huge lovely hotel well impressed with the young fair haired guy with glasses manners what a nice member of staff, got us welcome packs n room 107 only double bed for 3 of us ???? Moved us to a awfull room 195 with only 2 twin beds .this point I was fed up so moved back to 107 n he fetched us a guest fold up bed .the rooms r so hot I couldnt sleep opened windows n could here black cabs pulling up all night.I would defo stay here again well worth the money .needs tlc tho window latches were broke stains on carpets n found bag of rubbish when we arrived.

Room Tip: Ask for esso postcode, n a room whats doesnt feel like your in turkey in august.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank doncastercessy
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear doncastercessy,

Thank you for your comments and feedback on your stay with us at the hotel.

My sincerest apologies that you were unable to get to us, we have a very big ongoing issues with our postcode that we are trying to get rectified with the right people. We often give out local area postcodes and advice on travel. Our hotel team are able to assist with this prior to travel, and we also publish details on our own website.

I am sorry to learn that your room was too warm and that you could hear the Black cabs arriving and leaving from the front of the hotel. We aim to keep noise to a minimum for our guests, and from time to time we could improve on this, so we will take your comments on board for the future.

I am pleased that overall you were very happy and you were pleased with the experience you received from Jamie on our Front Desk, I will ensure your comments are passed back to him.

I look forward to welcoming you back to us again in the near future for your next stay in the area.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the Good Food Show on the 28th & 29th. We have previously stayed in the 'chain' hotels and paid twice what this cost. The room was clean and warm and the bar meals were reasonably priced and edible. Breakfast was plentiful and hot.
The NEC can be reached by a short walk to the station and then take the free shuttle bus which runs fairly frequently.
Check-in and check-out were handled efficiently.
On a more negative side I think we must have been the first on the cleaning run as the cleaner knocked on the door both days before we had left the room!
Overall a good experience with this hotel and will book again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Liz T,

Thank you for your lovely feedback on your stay at our hotel.

I hope to welcome you back to us again for the next event at the NEC you are attending.

Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed here for the Good food show on 30th Was reasonably priced against other hotels in the exact area of the NEC for that day with a spa which was ok actually apart from the cleanliness.

The cleanliness of the hotel in general needs to be addressed. I have stayed in much cheaper hotels which are cleaner. The spa shower had a glob of hair about the size of a 50p just sitting on the shelf in the shower like it had just been removed from the plug, there was hair all over the floor too.
But worse than that, the room itself. 1. There was a used knife just sitting on the side. 2. The shower head was covered in that pink bacteria mould all over it and the plugs were ringed in gunk. I am not ocd, i generally can cope with a little muck bjt luckily I had bacterial wipes for the shower head which came up lovely and tried to ignore the manky plug holes. A towel I used in the bathroom when I showered left me witha few short black hairs on me. ( I am blonde btw) so was left feeling icky like it was a used towel so had to reshower so all in all this hotel needs to address itscleaning staff. They are not cleaning properly and for a hotel giving the iimpression ( from the main area it looks like a decent hotel) the cleaning staff are not cleaning to even a 2* level not the 3* the hotel is at.
Other than that, it it located in a nice area for the NEC. Do a proper cleaning job on the rooms and jobs a good one. Didnt try the food btw, not sure I would wish too if the cleaning is poor in the rooms then not sure what state the kitchen is in either.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Smurfy1980

Thank you for your feedback.

Your comments regarding the cleanliness of your bedroom is a concern, and I will be addressing this with my Housekeeping manager.

As this is an area we cannot tolerate, we will ensure this improves very quickly, and hopefully can welcome you back to us next year for a return visit to sample a much better bedroom experience.

Yours faithfully,

Dereham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed here for a business meeting and was overall impressed with the hotel and value for money. Looks great from the outside and reception area is impressive. Rooms are comfortable and a nice size, free wifi was good. The staff are really friendly and helpful. The restaurant is very nice and the staff wouldn't be out of place in a 5 star hotel restaurant being very attentive and friendly. The menu is a little limited but the food itself was excellent. Overall a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Brstocker,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor, I am really pleased you had a great stay with us for your business meeting.

I take on board your comments with regards to the menu being limited, we are in the process of rewriting our Lounge Menu, In Room Dining Menu and A La Carte menu, and we are looking to roll these out shortly with a better selection of items on them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to us again in the future for your next meeting.

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Visited the good food show on Saturday and stayed at the Arden hotel. The staff were lovely apart from one individual in the main restaurant who was just plain rude. The spa was lovely and the man on reception was helpful and efficient, as were the staff on the main reception. We had a lovely meal in the Burgundy which was amazing value and the drinks in the lively bar were well priced for a hotel. What let's this hotel down is the rooms, they are very dated and not particularly clean. We walked into the room and it was like a furnace! we managed to turn the radiator down and opened the window as it was stuffy and smelt musty. The carpet was very stained and there was a empty pill blister pack and a toenail (yuk!) in the bathroom. Thankfully the bedding and towels were clean and the shower etc. was fine. However, saying all of that I would stay there again because of the staff, the spa and the restaurant. That also offered a good discount due to the toenail incident. It's also great for the NEC - get the rooms clean and refreshed and it would be almost perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a clean one.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Julie3333333,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Arden Hotel.

I appreciate your comments with regards to the cleanliness issues you had in your room, these were brought to my attention following your departure from the hotel and has been investigated with the housekeeping team. I agree with you entirely, poor quality room condition should not be excused and we will continue to work to ensure that other guests do not receive the same experience.

We are continuing to work on our product offering so that we can ensure our guests are getting a better service from their stay with us at the Arden Hotel.

I hope to welcome you back for your next event to a better overall product experience, and I am pleased to learn you enjoyed the service you received.

Michael Simpson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bickenhill
Genting Hotel
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#20 of 117 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,225 reviews

Been to Arden Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!