“Comfortable hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bickenhill
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Comfortable hotel”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed here for one night January 28....beware access a little acute,especially when dark.
Plush reception area, however communal hallways little tired....on one first floor landing noticed piles of stuff stored at side of stairwell..could be fire hazard. Noticed a fire door which was on ground floor left open, and still open in morning, anyone could have gained access to bedroom floors.
Reception staff efficient and friendly, as we're bar staff.
Breakfast, not clever, chewy toast, beans with no taste, potato hash hard and Luke warm coffee.
ROOM with newish carpet was well presented and clean plenty of towels and pillows. Windows you could open for fresh air.
However our room was £55 so really couldn't complain for a central hotel so close to N?E?C.
Yes, would recommend but would not pay over £75 would go to a Premier Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking courtyard Other side you have the Coventry rd which can be noisy.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Maureen P,

Thank you for your feedback on your review.

I am very sorry to learn about the obstructions and fire door being open. We have a security team who do regular patrols of the building and they should have ensured that if there were any of these, they would be removed imminently and that fire doors remain closed at all times. I will ensure your feedback is addressed with them,and we will monitor closely to ensure there is no repetition.

Otherwise I am pleased to see your feedback and on the hotel and appreciate your honest comments on your experience with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to us shortly.

Michael Simpson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I have to say that this hotel is far better than some I have stayed in even though there is a need for it to be updated. Used the Arden whilst visiting the NEC for a concert. It is a mere 5-8 minutes walk from Birmingham International railway station and equally distant from the NEC. Reception area is light and airy and reasonably modern. The reception staff were extremely pleasant and attentive.

There are only two floors to this hotel so if you can't be bothered to wait for the very very slow lift then you only have 2 flights of stairs to negotiate if you are positioned on the top floor. The carpets are starting to look tiered and the hallways leading to the rooms are in need of updating.

Rooms are reasonably spacious with comfortable King Size beds, TV, tea and coffee making facilities and sufficient storage space. The bathroom was of a good size, clean and well appointed yet it did look a touch dated and the loo made an horrendous noise when it had finished filling up after a flush.

The restaurant was ... well ... OK. Staff were again pretty attentive but we did feel a little rushed at the end and plates were removed whilst we were still chewing !! The menu is fine but nothing special. That said the food was better than many places we have stayed at. Bar area is in need of modernising but is OK. Breakfast room is clean, albeit a bit small so tables are quite close together. Breakfast itself was good, all you can eat cooked as well as fruit, cereals, fruit juices, pastries, tea, fruit teas and coffee.

It did seem that there was some building and redecoration work being done whilst we were there so there does seem to be some updating go on at the moment. The grounds were mildly untidy and entering by the pathway to the rear is a bit of an eyesore.Hotel also benefits from a leisure centre as well.

All in all a pleasant stay and would use again when in the area.

Room Tip: You will probably find no difference in any of the rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Markdubya
Dear Markdubya,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us at Arden Hotel Solihull.

I appreciate your feedback on your room, and I am pleased that our location suited you and we were happy with your stay with us.

Your comments with regards to dinner, is something we are addressing with service training for the team to ensure that we are offering you the best experience in dining here at our Burgundy Suite restaurant.

I look forward to welcoming you back to us for your next stay in the area.

Bucks, UK
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We have visited this hotel on a few occasions before - for the annual Interiors Trade show at the NEC . This hotel has been fine until this year. We were put into room 221 .

Carpets were filthy, Door into bathroom was broken, The Bath panel had a crack right along it half way down and silicon hanging of the poorly fitted shower enclosure.

We tried to call reception - only to find the phone also didn't work. Had I not been so tired I would have gone downstairs and demanded a new room - but I was tired and with the show next day just went to bed early . The hotel is very tired now throughout. I did complain to the duty manager next morning - and a reduction of 30% was applied to my bill.

The breakfast was to be fair very good - butt he carpets throughout the hotel look very tired and worn

However I would not now visit this hotel again due to the poor level of comfort in my room.

Room Tip: Do NOT choose room 221 or let them put you in this room - it needs a total oerhaul
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JohnSueJessica
Dear JohnSueJessica,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor, and I am really sorry you had such an unfortunate stay.

My Front Office Manager took the room out of sale following your feedback for essential works to be done to rectify a lot of the issues that you have mentioned. I agree accommodation should never be let to you in this condition.

At the current time the hotel is having some essential refurbishment work to ensure that we are offering a product that will benefit our guests for the future. I trust that in time you will give us an opportunity to show you a more improved product offering and our housekeeping team are undergoing retraining to ensure that an outstanding product is available to all our guests when they stay with us.

Once again I appreciate you taking the time it highlight an issue with your accommodation quality, and I will ensure this is addressed with our housekeeping management team.

Michael Simpson

Travellers are raving about these Bickenhill hotels

north lincolnshire
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My daughter and I were at the NEC today and booked an overnight at The Arden several weeks ago. After reading the reviews on here we were both extremely dubious about our visit, however I am pleased to report that the stay was extremely pleasant. We didn't arrive at the hotel until 8pm last night and the check in was effortless. We had been allocated a 'quiet' room on the first floor and as we entered it, the temperature was lovely and warm. The room was traditionally furnished but very clean and tidy with everything that we needed. As we arrived late we used room service, I ordered the warm chocolate brownie which was presented on a slate plate and decorated with fudge and strawberries, it was delicious. I can honestly say that when we fell asleep I never heard another noise. I am quite a light sleeper and actually on this occasion we overlaid which is highly unusual for me, but evidence that there was no noise. We went down for breakfast and the staff were all very chatty and engaged in conversation with us. The breakfast was good with plenty of choice. All in all our experience was very positive and another massive bonus was that literally the NEC is a 5 minute drive. The cost we paid for our overnight stay in comparison to what we received was excellent. A friendly, clean and perfectly located hotel for the NEC and I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room :)
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Dear lovingthelakes,

Thank you for your lovely review on the Arden Hotel Solihull.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and I look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future.

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Only suitable if you are going to the airport in the early hours of the morning.
The walls are thin and through the night and morning it was very noisy and hard to get to sleep.
The hotel room was nice and comfortable, just a shame about the noise.

• Stayed January 2014
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear 9AmY2,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Arden Hotel Solihull.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for highlighting these issues with me. I appreciate your comments on the walls being thin. We have had this highlighted in certain areas of the hotel, and we have quieter rooms available through our reception team to avoid these issues going forward.

I hope to welcome you back to the Arden Hotel in the near future.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I didn't sleep a wink. It's dirty and staff are inattentive. The only reason it can charge the price it does is because there is not enough supply of decent hotel rooms in the area. It felt like you were staying in a poor standard nursing home.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank DyslexicMan
Dear Dyslexicman,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Arden Hotel.

I understand you didn't enjoy your stay with us, however I would appreciate if you could contact me with regards to your comments, as I would appreciate an indication of where the hotel didn't meet your expectations.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We have been here a few times for sunday lunch. It is good value at £15 for 3 courses. The food is quite good. Nothing special. The silver service I feel is a bit pretentious and the maitre d most certainly is. (rolling his eyes when I noted that the cauliflower was hard, asking if it was my credit card when I was unsure of my pin, its a card i never use). The food is never really piping hot, this I think is down to the silver service. Lose the silver service and plate the food up in the kitchen and don't try and be snooty to your guests. It does not suit the place. This sound like i'm giving the place a bad review, i'm not, we do like it here and will go again. It just could be better with a few little changes.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear philcee,

Thank you for your feedback on our Sunday Lunch offering at Arden Hotel.

We offer a formal Sunday Lunch service which is silver served at a good value price of 3 course for £15 as you mentioned. I appreciate your comments on the service style and cauliflower being hard. I will ensure this is addressed with my Food & Beverage Manager and Executive Chef when you conduct our quarterly review of our Food & Beverage offering and menus.

I have spoken to my Restaurant Manager with regards to your comments about our Maître d'e. I want to ensure that you have the best experience at all times, and although the comments made were deemed to be light hearted banter with a customer, I can understand how you would have found them inappropriate.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Arden Hotel in the near future for your next Sunday Lunch with us.

Michael Simpson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bickenhill
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#23 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Arden Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!